Zuckerberg resists U.S. senators effort to commit him to regulation

admin   •   April 11, 2018   •   2559

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg testifies before a joint Senate Judiciary and Commerce Committees hearing regarding the company’s use and protection of user data, on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., April 10, 2018. REUTERS/Aaron P. Bernstein

Facebook chief executive officer Mark Zuckerberg on Tuesday navigated through the first of two U.S. congressional hearings without making any further promises to support new legislation or change how the social network does business.

During nearly five hours of questioning by 44 U.S. senators, Zuckerberg repeated apologies he previously made for a range of problems that have beset Facebook, from a lack of data protection to Russian agents using Facebook to influence U.S. elections.

“We didn’t take a broad enough view of our responsibility. And that was a big mistake. And it was my mistake, and I’m sorry. I started Facebook; I run it, and I’m responsible for what happens here. So, now we have to go through all of our relationship with people and make sure that we’re taking a broad enough view of our responsibility. It’s not enough to just connect people. We have to make sure that those connections are positive. It’s not enough to just give people a voice. We need to make sure that people aren’t using it to harm other people or to spread misinformation. And it’s not enough to just give people control over their information. We need to make sure that the developers they share it with protecting their information too,” said Zuckerberg.

But the 33-year-old internet mogul managed to deflect any specific promises to support any congressional regulation of the world’s largest social media network and other U.S. internet companies.

“Yes, and I’ll have my team follow up with you, so that way we can have this discussion across the different categories where I think that this discussion needs happen,” said the Facebook executive.

Investors were impressed with his performance. Shares in Facebook posted their biggest daily gain in nearly two years, closing up 4.5 percent.

The shares fell steeply last month after it came to light that millions of users’ personal information were harvested from Facebook by Cambridge Analytica, a political consultancy that has counted U.S. President Donald Trump’s election campaign among its clients. The latest estimate of affected users is up to 87 million.

That disclosure pitched Facebook into a crisis of confidence among users, advertisers, employees, and investors who were already struggling with Facebook’s reaction to the fake news and its role in the 2016 election. — Reuters

DOLE warns against FB pages promising cash, jobs

Marje Pelayo   •   January 7, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has warned the public against bogus Facebook pages promising cash or prizes in exchange for likes and shares as well as those purportedly hiring for employment.

“Verify the registration of such companies with appropriate government agencies before engaging with them, especially in providing information,” DOLE warned on Wednesday (January 7).

The alert came after DOLE acted on a complaint against a certain company named ‘Eternal Investment’ alleging that it is gathering people on Facebook and assigning them to job positions on a voluntary or commission basis. 

Recruits are allegedly assigned to positions such as executives, managers, and graphic artists.

The complaint also claimed that Eternal Investment is reportedly “manipulating people and not paying proper dues based on the output of the volunteers.” 

Upon coordination with the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), it was found out that ‘Eternal Investment’ is not registered with the DTI nor with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).

To protect the public, the labor department’s Bureau of Local Employment brought the complaint to the SEC’s Enforcement and Investor Protection Department for further investigation.

SAP 3 posts circulating online, fake news—DSWD

Aileen Cerrudo   •   December 21, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) clarified that there is no truth to the posts circulating online about a third tranche of the Social Amelioration Program (SAP).

In a statement, the DSWD explained that there is an ongoing payout for the Emergency Subsidy Program (ESP) which is a provision of Bayanihan to Recover as One Act or Bayanihan 2.

The department clarified that the Bayanihan 2 ESP has a set of beneficiaries different from SAP 1 and SAP 2.

“The Bayanihan 2 ESP is a one-time cash grant of P5,000 to P8,000 which is being distributed to low income family beneficiaries who are physically residing in areas placed under granular lockdown,” the DSWD said.

As of December 19, there are 145,025 beneficiaries who received their emergency subsidy under Bayanihan 2. AAC

Nationwide holiday lockdown, fake news —Malacañang

Maris Federez   •   December 6, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang has belied rumors of a nationwide lockdown during the holiday season.

Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque, in a text message to reporters on Sunday (December 6), said there is no truth to the circulating text message that the country will be placed under lockdown from December 23 to January 3.

“Fake news,” Roque said, pointing out that it was a baseless claim.

In a separate message to reporters, National Task Force on COVID-19 (NTF) spokesperson retired Gen. Restituto Padilla has also strongly advised the public “not to believe news or information coming from unverified sources.”

“Please ensure you verify or ask authorities or trusted organizations about the veracity of such information before believing and passing it around. Let us not be instruments of fake news distribution and help our fellow kababayan,” Padilla said.

Meanwhile, Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles, who co-chairs the government’s COVID-19 pandemic task force, appealed to the public to avoid spreading unverified information.

He also urged the public to continue observing minimum health standards to avoid acquiring the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

“Do not believe fake news. Alamin ang totoo. Huwag maniwala at huwag po magkalat ng fake news lalo na ngayong panahon. Patuloy lang po tayo maging responsable sa sarili at sa pamilya (Find out the truth. Do not easily believe and spread fake news especially in these times. Let us all be responsible for ourselves and our families),” Nograles said.

President Rodrigo Duterte has earlier placed Metro Manila, Batangas, Iloilo City, Tacloban, Lanao del Sur, Iligan, and Davao City under general community quarantine (GCQ) until the end of the year to curb the transmission of the deadly virus.

The rest of the country, on the other hand, is placed under modified GCQ.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.