Zambo City LGU gives nod on Misuari’s assignment as Special Envoy to OIC

Maris Federez   •   December 17, 2019   •   351

(L-R) Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) founding chairman Nur Misuari and President Rodrigo Duterte

The local government of Zamboanga City has welcomed President Rodrigo Duterte’s decision of assigning Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) founding chairman Nur Misuari as the country’s special economic envoy to the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC).

Zamboanga City Mayor Beng Climaco said the President has already talked to him regarding the matter.

He reiterated that they are in favor of the chief executive’s decision as it is aimed at reaching a lasting peace in Mindanao.

“President Duterte had already the intention of giving the chairperson to Nur Misuari as an opportunity to take leadership roles in the government so as to fully implement the peace process,” Climaco said.

He added that there is no denying that Misuari has a big influence on the Moro people and on the peace process.

The local chief executive, however, said that the victims in the 2013 Zamboanga Siege must be accorded the justice they deserve.

Misuari was said to be behind the MNLF’s bloody attack in the city.

Meanwhile, people from Zamboanga have differing views on Misuari’s assignment to the OIC.

Some said Misuari is not fit for the job based on his participation in the siege.

Others, on the other hand, welcomed the President’s decision.

Meanwhile, the President said Misuari’s assignment to the OIC is aimed at achieving the immediate implementation of the peace agreements between the government and the Moro fronts and to get the support of the Islamic countries.

The MNLF founding chair is known to have strong alliances with the leaders in the OIC.— (from the report of Dante Amento) /mbmf

Duterte appoints MNLF’s Nur Misuari as Special Economic Envoy on Islamic Affairs

Marje Pelayo   •   December 16, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has appointed Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) Founding Chairman Nur Misuari as Special Economic Envoy on Islamic Affairs to the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process (OPAPP) confirmed.

The President announced Misuari’s appointment during the first meeting on Sunday (December 15) of the newly created PH Government-MNLF PEACE Coordinating Committee where the remaining commitments under the Tripartite Review Process (TRP) of the 1996 Final Peace Agreements.

The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) together with the Philippine Government and the MNLF created the TRP in January 2016 in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

Duterte explained that his appointment of Nur Misuari will facilitate the speedy implementation of peace agreements between the government and the Moro fronts and eventually obtain the support from Islamic countries given that most of the leaders of the OIC are friends with Misuari.

Misuari is expected to attend the annual meeting of the parliamentary union of the OIC-member states happening in Burkina Faso in Western Africa from January 21 to 23, 2020.

Meanwhile, the leadership of the OIC is set to visit the Philippines in February 2020.

Duterte: Misuari to wage war if push for federalism fails

Robie de Guzman   •   March 21, 2019

Courtesy : PCOO President Rodrigo Roa Duterte (right) chats with Moro National Liberation Front Founding Chairman Nur Misuari (left) at a meeting at the Malacañan Palace on March 19, 2019.

MANILA, Philippines – Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) Founding Chairman Nur Misuari has threatened to go to war against the government if the proposed shift to federalism is rejected, President Rodrigo Duterte revealed on Wednesday.

Duterte met with Misuari in Malacañang on Tuesday night upon the latter’s return from his trip to Morocco and the United Arab Emirates. This was already their second meeting in less than a month since the formal ratification of the Bangsamoro Organic Law (BOL).

The BOL was the result of the government’s negotiations with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), which was established by former MNLF members.

“Sabi ni Misuari kagabi (Misuari told me last night), if you do not give it [federalism] to me, let me be very honest. I will go to war,” Duterte said during a campaign sortie of the PDP-Laban in Marikina City on Wednesday.

The President said he assured Misuari that he understands his stand but the approval of the proposal as well as the type of the federal system to be used depends on Congress. The 1987 Philippine Constitution would also have to be amended to enable the shift to federalism.

Duterte also said that a panel will be formed between the government and MNLF for the negotiations.

“Let’s form a panel because you have to inform the people. We cannot negotiate secretly here. Sabi ko, (I told him) day-to-day they will be briefed kung ano ang outcome (about the outcome). How gusto mong ma-apply ‘yang federal system sa gusto mo (how do you want the federal system to be applied). Will it be like the BOL or a different type?” he said.

Malacañang, meanwhile, denied allegations that Duterte’s move to reveal Misuari’s warning is meant to influence the Congress and the public to approve the proposed federalism.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said the President only wanted to let the public know about the importance of the bill.

“He responded to that and said, if it fails, we will be dying together. Ibig sabihin, lalabanan kita, ‘yun ang ibig sabihin ni President, lalabanan mo gobyerno, eh di lalabanan din kita, (it means, I will fight against you, that was what the President meant. If you go against the government then I will also fight you.)” Panelo said.

Although the MNLF’s threat is serious, Panelo said that Misuari has also expressed hope that federalism will be realized during Duterte’s term.

The shift to federalism is one of Duterte’s campaign promises.

The House of Representatives had passed its version of the proposed Charter Amendment while the Senate has yet to tackle the bill. – Robie de Guzman (with details from Rosalie Coz)

Palace: Duterte wants a ‘gentlemen’s agreement’, not new peace deal with MNLF

Marje Pelayo   •   March 1, 2019

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte greets MNLF Founding Chairman Nur Misuari during their meeting at the Malacañan Palace on February 25, 2019. (Photo from PCOO)

MANILA, Philippines – Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea on Friday (March 1) clarified that President Rodrigo Duterte does not intend to create a new peace agreement with the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF).

Instead, Medialdea said the Chief Executive wants an agreement in form of a formal writing between him and MNLF Chairman Nur Misuari for the sake of achieving peace in the Mindanao region.

The proposal came after the recently concluded plebiscite on the Bangsamoro Organic Law (BOL) and the appointment of the members of the Bangsamoro Transition Authority.

Duterte and Misuari held a brief meeting at Malacañang on Monday (February 25).

The day after, the President himself revealed Misuari’s intention and willingness to talk peace with the administration once the latter gets back from his travel abroad.

It can be noted that President Duterte already directed Presidential Peace Adviser Carlito Galvez, Interior Secretary Eduardo Año and Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana to help in crafting the said agreement on peace. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.