WHO reports most coronavirus cases in a day, cases near five million

UNTV News   •   May 21, 2020   •   480

The World Health Organization expressed concern on Wednesday (May 20) for the rising number of new coronavirus cases in poor countries, even as many rich nations emerge from lockdown.

The global health body said 106,000 new cases of infections of the novel coronavirus had been recorded in the past 24 hours, the most in a single day since the outbreak began, as the total number of cases world-wide approached five million.

Speaking at a news conference, WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that two thirds of those cases had come from just four countries.

The WHO has come under fire from U.S. President Donald Trump, who accuses it of having mishandled the outbreak and favouring China. This week Trump threatened to withdraw from the WHO and permanently withhold funding.

Tedros acknowledged having received a letter from Trump, but declined to comment further.

In comments that could annoy Trump further, the head of the WHO’s emergency programme, Dr. Mike Ryan, told the press conference that people should avoid using the malaria medicine hydroxychloroquine, except for conditions it is proven to treat. Trump has said he is taking hydroxychloroquine to prevent coronavirus infection.

Tedros said he was committed to accountability. The WHO has announced a review into the response to the pandemic, which emerged in China late last year.

“WHO calls for accountability more than anyone. It has to be done and when it’s done it has to be a comprehensive one,” he said of the review, while declining to give a timeline for it starting. (Reuters)

(Production: Louisa Naks)

PLM on 2-week lockdown over rise in COVID-19 cases among staff

Aileen Cerrudo   •   August 3, 2020

The Pamantasang Lungsod ng Maynila (PLM) will be placed under a two-week lockdown due to the high number of staff that tested positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

“There are currently four confirmed cases, with two recovered patients and one fatality among employees. There are also three probable and one suspect cases,” PLM President Emmanuel Leyco said in a statement.

BREAKING: Mayor Isko approves two-week quarantine at PLM amid rising COVID-19 casesManila City Mayor Francisco ‘Isko…

Posted by Manila Public Information Office on Sunday, August 2, 2020

Manila Mayor Isko Moreno Domagoso has approved their request and the PLM management will be adopting a strict work-from-home arrangement for employees for the next two weeks.

“As a University which produces doctors, nurses and medical professionals, we believe it is necessary to respond to the public health crisis by listening to science and the inputs of medical experts,” Leyco said. AAC

India’s interior minister tests positive for coronavirus, hospitalised

UNTV News   •   August 3, 2020

India’s Interior Minister Amit Shah said on Sunday (August 2) that he had tested positive for coronavirus and had been admitted to hospital.

Amit Shah, a close aide to Prime Minister Narendra Modi and one of the country’s most powerful politicians, heads a key ministry that has been at the forefront of managing India’s coronavirus outbreak.

“I request all of you who came in contact with me in the last few days to isolate yourselves and get tested,” Shah said in a tweet.

India has 1,695,988 confirmed cases and 36,511 deaths due to coronavirus as of August 2, according to a Reuters tally. (Reuters)

(Production: Polly Rider, Michael Fiorentino)

Duterte approves more benefits for healthcare workers, orders gov’t to hire 10K medical professionals

Marje Pelayo   •   August 3, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte approved on Sunday (August 2) the recommendation of the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) to revert the National Capital Region and nearby areas to a much stricter community quarantine.

This is in response to the overwhelming call for a “time out” from the country’s healthcare workers due to the rise in cases of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) infection.

Apart from NCR, other areas to be placed under modified enhanced community quarantine include Bulacan and the provinces of Laguna, Cavite, Rizal effective midnight of Tuesday (August 4).

During the late night briefing in Malacañang, the President likewise approved the hiring of additional healthcare workers to augment the current workforce to include the hiring of 10,000 medical professionals.

Apart from that, healthcare workers would also be provided with additional benefits:

  • Risk allowance for private sector healthcare workers treating COVID-19 patients;
  • P10,000 to P15,000 for every healthcare worker that gets sick
  • Life insurance
  • Free accommodation
  • Free transportation
  • Free and frequent COVID-19 testing

Also, President Duterte approved the Cabinet’s recommendation to issue work and quarantine passes to minimize movement.

The Chief Executive directed all local government units (LGUs) to intensify the localized lockdown and the implementation of Oplan Kalinga in their respective areas.

He stressed that the guidelines for minimum health standards must be strictly enforced and intensified while giving twenty million face masks for the poor.

Also approved by the President is the use of RT-PCR testing as gold standard.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.