Water level in major dams in Luzon on the rise amid rains

Marje Pelayo   •   July 23, 2018   •   6139

Photo captured by Charisse Cuaresma Laguerder yesterday in San Roque Dam located at Brgy. Cayanga Bugallon, Pangasinan

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – Water level in major dams in Luzon continue to rise as multiple weather systems affect the country.

As of 6:00 a.m. Monday (July 23), Angat Dam’s water level in Bulacan rose by one meter from 195.8m on Sunday to 196.8m today.

At La Mesa Dam in Quezon City, water level rose to 76.03m today from 75.86m yesterday.

Water level at Ambuklao and Binga Dams exceeded critical level which prompted the opening of gates to facilitate release.

Ambuklao Dam in Benguet recorded an increase in water level by 0.76m from 750.26m yesterday to 751.02m today. Three of the dam’s gates remain open at a height of 1.5m.

Binga Dam in Agno River, also in Benguet, has recorded an increase in water reserve by almost a meter from 573.26m yesterday to 574.24m today. Four of the dam’s gates also remain open at a height of 4m.

Meanwhile, an embankment dam in Agno River, the San Roque Dam recorded the highest increase of 3.68m from 263.10m yesterday to 266.78m today.

Nueva Ecija’s Pantabangan Dam marked an increase of 1.32m from 191.28m yesterday to 192.6m today.

Magat Dam’s level in Cagayan has rose by 1.09m from 185.80m yesterday to 186.89m today while water level in Caliraya Dam in Lumban, Laguna also increased by 1.05m from 286.71m yesterday to 287.76m today. — Rey Pelayo / Marje Pelayo

Typhoon Ambo adds 3 meters to Angat Dam’s reserve

Marje Pelayo   •   May 17, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The water level in Angat Dam has improved in the aftermath of Typhoon Ambo in Luzon.

According to the latest reading by the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA), the weather system has added 3.09 meters of water to Angat Dam’s reserve from 187.53 meters on May 15 to 190.62 meters on 6:00 am, Sunday (May 17).

Angat’s water level is now 10 meters over its normal operating level of 180 meters.

Last week, the National Water Resources Board (NWRB) has increased domestic allocation to Metro Manila from Angat Dam to 48 cubic meters per second from 46 cubic meters per second to maintain enough supply on the duration of the government-imposed community quarantine in view of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) crisis. –MNP (with reports from Rey Pelayo)

No reduction in Metro Manila water allocation until June — NWRB

Marje Pelayo   •   May 7, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — Water allocation in Metro Manila will not be cut until the month of June, according to the National Water Resources Board (NWRB).

Specifically, the allocation of water supply in Metro Manila from Angat Dam remains at 46 cubic meters per second in May and June. 

The agency wants to ensure that households will get enough water, especially while the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) is in effect so that residents can maintain cleanliness and proper hygiene to reduce risk of COVID-19 infection.

Meanwhile, the PAGASA-DOST reported a continuous drop in Angat Dam’s water level. 

As of Thursday morning (May 7), the Dam’s water level was at 189.29 meters, a drop of .19 meters from 189.48 on Wednesday (May 6).

This, however, is still well within its minimum operating level of 180 meters. 

Water concessionaires Maynilad and Manila Water have assured a round-the-clock water supply among their clients except in areas where repair or maintenance works are ongoing. — MNP (with details from Rey Pelayo)

Duterte may finalize decision on Luzon ECQ this week – Palace

Robie de Guzman   •   April 20, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte may decide this week on whether to lift, extend or modify the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) being enforced over Luzon, Malacañang said on Monday.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said there is no definite answer yet on the fate of the Luzon-wide enhanced community quarantine which will lapse on April 30.

However, he said that the chief executive will likely decide on the matter soon to give ample time for authorities and the public to prepare.

“Kinakailangang magdesisyon ang presidente ngayong linggong ito dahil anuman ang maging desisyon niya, kinakailangang paghandaan ang implementasyon,” Roque said in a virtual press briefing.

The Palace official said Duterte is meeting with medical experts to get their recommendations and basis amid the COVID-19 crisis.

He will also discuss the matter with the members of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID).

Duterte earlier threatened to impose a martial law-like quarantine measure if the public continues to disobey safety and health protocols against the spread of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

The IATF also reiterated it is still discussing possible scenarios and its game plan for post-ECQ, and denied rumors the quarantine will be extended until May.

The Palace likewise dismissed as fake news a viral voice clip which warned about a possible declaration of martial law-type lockdown this week.

The quarantine over Luzon has been in place since March 15 and it is due to end on April 30.

Under this measure, public transport operations are halted, classes and work in some offices are suspended, and only essential workers are allowed to go out of their homes while the rest are ordered to stay inside their residences. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.