Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Water in Angat Dam declines from its normal level

by admin   |   Posted on Friday, 21 April 2017 08:00 AM

MANILA – The daily water consumption of Manila Water consumers has increased by 100 million liters so far this year, compared to that of last year.

This is the reason seen by Manila Water as to the quick decline in La Mesa Dam’s water level.

At around 4:00 p.m. yesterday, the water level in La Mesa Dam was 78.39 meters. This is low compared to the normal level of 79.3 meters.

“Kung last year ang production namin due to demand is around 1450 mld daily, ngayon pumapalo na sya ng 1,525-1,550mld daily. So that’s additional 100 million liters a day na demand (If last year our production due to demand was around 1,450 mld daily, now it is around 1,525-1,550mld daily. So that’s additional demand of 100 million liters a day),” La Mesa headworks manager, Teddy Angeles said.

Manila Water will conduct an inspection on the water conduits from Angat Dam to La Mesa Dam to avoid leakage.

Manila water said this will not affect consumers for now. However, if the water level in La Mesa Dam continues to decline, Manila Water may lessen pressure.

“The worst kung magkaroon ng water interruption for rationing pero based on our projections until end of June pa yung 77 mari-reach with by that time siguro umuulan na,” Angeles added. (The worst, if there is water interruption for rationing. But based on our projections, the water level may reach 77 meters until end of June. Perhaps it’ll be rainy that time.)

Manila Water also said there must be additional water sources.

This is to prepare for the succeeding years since water consumption may double.

Manila Water supplies to 6 million households in the east zone of Metro Manila.

Use it wisely, report for any leak  na nakikita nila sa kalye (seen on streets ) or even illegal connection,” Angeles said.

The National Water Resources Board said there is enough water reserve in Angat Dam.

The board  is willing to increase water allocation if needed in La Mesa Dam. — Rey Pelayo | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , ,

MWSS assures no repeat of metro-wide water interruption

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, 20 March 2019 04:19 PM

President Rodrigo Duterte admonished the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System, and water concessionaires Manila Water and Maynilad upon meeting with them on Tuesday night (March 19).

The President reportedly didn’t even bother to hear any of their defense on the water shortage.

In a statement, Malacañang said the Chief Executive issued a stern warning of removing MWSS from their posts and terminating the contracts of the two water concessionaires if their services will not improve.

“The Chief Executive bluntly told them to ‘shape up or ship out’!” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said.

MWSS Administrator Reynaldo Velasco assured they have already laid out plans to prevent having a repeat of the water interruption in Metro Manila.

“If I cannot do it, I will resign immediately,” Velasco added.

Velasco also admitted that the Chief Executive’s directive issued last week had been a big help for them to immediately resolve the water outage in the east zone of Metro Manila.

The official, meanwhile, denied allegations that the water shortage is just artificial and made-up to justify the construction of the New Centennial Water Source-Kaliwa Dam Project.

Velasco said, “Hindi sila pwedeng magmoro-moro sa amin. Pag moro-moro insult sa aming intelligence.We are on top of the situation. Di pwedeng mag-arte-arte yang mga water concessionaires (They cannot not play us for fools. It will be an insult to our intelligence. We are on top of the situation. These concessionaires should stop acting up).”

Meanwhile, the MWSS expects that the delivery of water supply will go back to normal in Metro Manila come April, except for some barangays in elevated areas.

Still, the MWSS assures these barangays of sufficient water supply.

“That’s not a problem because we have 150 fleets of water tanks,” Velasco added.

Meanwhile, Manila Water Spokesperson Jeric Sevilla said in a statement that they are “focused now on exerting all efforts to bring water service availability back to normal levels at the earliest possible time.” Maris Federez

Tags: , , ,

Duterte tells MWSS, water concessionaires: ‘Shape up or ship out!’

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, 20 March 2019 10:05 AM

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday (March 19) scolded the executives of the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) and the two water concessionaires Manila Water and Maynilad for “not doing their job” that resulted in a metro-wide water shortage.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said the Chief Executive vented out his anger on concerned officials and told them to “shape up or ship out!”

“In a stern message delivered without even once looking at the officials, the obviously outraged President threatened to fire the MWSS officials and terminate the concessionaires’ contracts,” Panelo said.

The meeting, which Panelo described as a ‘presidential monologue’, lasted for 40 minutes.

The President ended his tirade by ordering the officials to submit a report on the water shortage before April 7.

“After which he will decide whether heads will roll or whether the contracts of the concessionaires will be terminated,” Panelo concluded.

For more than a week, residents of Metro Manila and Rizal suffered water shortage prompting the administration to direct water authorities to release 150 days-worth of water from Angat Dam to supply affected areas.

The Upper and Lower Houses of Congress conducted their respective hearings on the matter which called for penalties against Manila Water for violating the concession agreement and the resignation of concerned officials over mismanagement, incompetence and negligence. – Marje Pelayo (with details from Rosalie Coz)

Tags: , , ,

Penalty vs. Manila Water possible by June or July – MWSS

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Tuesday, 19 March 2019 11:36 PM

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – After drawing the ire of congressmen at Monday’s hearing on the water crisis, Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) chief regulator Patrick Ty seemed to have pulled himself together to face the members of the Senate anew on Tuesday (March 19).

Ty was in hot water during the hearing at the House of Representatives (HOR) for claiming that the MWSS is powerless to punish Manila Water despite pointing out himself that the water concessionaire violated its mandate to provide 24/7 water to its clients.

But during Tuesday’s hearing in Senate, the chief regulator admitted that due to the ‘unprecedented situation’ caused by water outage and since no law prohibits the government to penalize violation of concession agreement, the MWSS can impose penalty even earlier than the next rebasing on 2022.

“We are studying it right now, we are also actually studying the amount of the penalty that will be imposed, which can be rebated,” Ty said.

“We are exploring the option of imposing it, if there is any, around June or July,” he added.

Ty said the MWSS wants to prioritize fixing the current supply problem.

During the hearing, stakeholders and local officials lamented over the situations in their areas because of shortage of water supply.

“Talagang walang tubig. Ito ang unang (pagkakataon na) naapektuhan (kami). Ang ginawa namin, ang lahat ng fire volunteer namin (ay) nagsama sama kasi talagang nagaaway away na po ang mga tao kasi hinaharang na po ang firetruck,” said Darwin Fernandez, a barangay chief in Mandaluyong City.

Manila Water President and CEO Ferdinand dela Cruz felt sorry for failing their customers but assured that they are mobilizing 30 delivery trucks a day to ration water in affected areas.

“I have instructed our team to look for ways to see how we could have for services that rendered in affected communities,” he said.

Senator Panfilo Lacson, meanwhile, questioned Manila Water regarding the Cardona treatment plant, a project supposed to be completed in December 2018 but has not been operating until today.

MWSS Administration Reynaldo Velasco said, had it running today it could have drawn water from La Mesa Dam and the it could have augmented to the water shortage.

The sad truth, Lacson said, consumers are now paying for the said unfinished project and that is “tantamount to a government sanctioned highway robbery.”

Velasco took the chance to raise the necessity to expedite the construction of the China-funded Kaliwa Dam which he believes would solve the recurrent problem in water supply.

But when asked to explain why the MWSS is pushing for China’s proposal than the much cheaper and faster construction deal of Japan, Velasco said the deal was already closed by the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA).

“The project has been approved by the President and we cannot do anything anymore,”

Senate Committee on Public Services chair Senator Grace Poe urged the MWSS to hold Manila Water accountable for the current crisis to compensate the affected clients.

“Imposible na walang kompesasyon sa mga nangungunsumo dahil tayo ay talagang nangungunsime ngayon,” the lady senator said.

Because of the controversy, the Senate panel asked Manila Water to voluntarily lower the succeeding water rate in consideration of the affected customers.

Manila Water was adamant against agreeing, but the MWSS’ chief regulator said they will look into the suggestion.

“That is part of the things that we are doing kung pwede this month huwag mag-charge muna,” Ty assured.  — Marje Pelayo (with reports from Nel Maribojoc)

Tags: , ,