Water interruptions loom as NWRB cuts allocation for Metro Manila

Robie de Guzman   •   June 14, 2019   •   3098

MANILA, Philippines – The National Water Resources Board (NWRB) has reduced the allocation for Metro Manila amid the continued drop in water levels at Angat Dam, which is the metropolis’ main water source, an official said Friday.

The NWRB lowered the allocation for Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) to 46 cubic meters per second (CBS) for the month of June from the average 48 CBS last month.

NWRB director Servillano David said they were forced to cut down Metro Manila’s water allocation after water level at Angat dam dipped further. The latest water level is at 163.66 meters, which is 16 meters below the normal operating level of 180.

David said the current water level is expected to go down further in the coming days and may breach the critical level of 160 meters if there will be no enough rain at the Angat watershed area.

“Sa ganoong level po at 160 meters, magkakaroon na ng isyu in terms of availability ng supply,” he said.

“Sa ngayon bumababa pa rin siya despite the pronouncement ng PAGASA na parating na ang onset ng rainy season. ‘Yung mga pag-ulan na inaasahan natin dun sa Angat water shed ay hindi po dumarating,” he added.

Looming water service interruptions

With the dwindling water level at the Angat dam, consumers are told to brace for possible water interruptions.

East zone water concessionaire Manila Water Co. said it is already trying to manage its supply by implementing water interruptions during off-peak hours.

“Ang ginagawa lang natin ngayon, patuloy ang operational adjustment natin. Pero in the event na hindi na kaya ng sistema natin na mag-provide pa ng additonal water supply, talagang magbabawas tayo,” said Jeric Sevilla, spokesperson for Manila Water.

West Zone concessionaire Maynilad Water Services Inc., meanwhile, said it also implemented water interruptions from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. when water usage is usually low.

“During night time para po mabigyan kami ng pagkakataon na ma-refill ‘yung aming reservoirs para during peak hours naman po sa araw ay hindi po mararamdaman ng aming mga customer itong pagbaba ng supply sa Metro Manila,” said Ronald Padua, who heads Maynilad operations.

Water concessionaires said the limited water supply will especially affect consumers in elevated areas.

Consumers are advised to contact hotlines and social media accounts of Maynilad and Manila Water for further details on water service interruptions.

The NWRB also called on the public anew to use water responsibly and wisely, to store rainwater and to recycle wastewater for other purposes. (with details from Joan Nano)

Metro Manila, Baguio City, Davao City to stay under GCQ

Marje Pelayo   •   March 1, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Metro Manila remains under general community quarantine (GCQ) for another month starting March 1, as announced by Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque.

Aside from National Capital Region (NCR), the following areas will also be under GCQ beginning March 1:

  • Baguio City (Luzon)
  • Davao City (Luzon)
  • Batangas (Luzon)
  • Apayao (Luzon)
  • Kalinga (Luzon)
  • Mt. Province  (Luzon)
  • Tacloban City (Visayas)
  • Iligan City (Mindanao)
  • Lanao del Sur (Mindanao)

Meanwhile, the rest of the country will remain under modified general community quarantine (MGCQ) until the end of March.

NCR mayors, medical experts back Duterte decision on GCQ status

Robie de Guzman   •   February 23, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Mayors in the National Capital Region (NCR) give all out support to President Rodrigo Duterte’s decision to keep the region under general community quarantine (GCQ) classification unless the COVID-19 vaccination program has been rolled out, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) said Tuesday.

MMDA chairman Benhur Abalos said local chief executives in the NCR would ‘rally behind’ the president even if most of them have voted in favor of the proposal to put the region under modified GCQ in March to help revive the country’s economy.

“As what we have always emphasized, the Metro Manila mayors would always defer to the wisdom and judgement of the President,” Abalos said in a statement.

“We are one with him, and would exert all efforts and rally behind him in combating this COVID-19 pandemic,” he added.

The National Economic Development Authority (NEDA) earlier recommended the shift to MGCQ to reopen the economy that has been battered by the coronavirus pandemic.

In separate statements, NCR mayors welcomed Duterte’s decision on the matter as they vowed to implement stricter health protocols to curb the spread of the viral disease.

“I am grateful to President Rodrigo Duterte for declaring that Metro Manila remain under General Community Quarantine (GCQ) until the vaccines against COVID-19 are rolled out and made available to Filipinos,” San Juan City Mayor Francis Zamora said.

“We’ve already anticipated what to do, ramping up contact tracing, testing and early detection,” Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte said.

Medical experts from the Philippine Society for Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, for their part, said that the shift to MGCQ will only be possible if the public will religiously follow the minimum health protocols set by the government.

“Based on previous experience I know that we know that we are not good in self-regulation, is that gonna change once we move into MGCQ? I think that’s the question every Filipino should answer,” Dr. Kathryn Roa said.

“I know that lockdown is hard but I just feel like the minute that we try to relax the lockdown or the quarantine it will somehow translate to people thinking that everything is well and I think they will start not minding wearing the mask, not minding wearing the shield, the physical distancing,” Dr. Faith Villanue said.

They also urged the public not to squander the efforts being put in to fight the pandemic and to continue observing protocols to stop the spread of coronavirus. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Janice Ingente)

NCRPO in favor of placing Metro Manila under MGCQ

Aileen Cerrudo   •   February 19, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) said it is in favor of relaxing the quarantine classification in Metro Manila from General Community Quarantine (GCQ) to Modified General Community Quarantine (MGCQ).

According to NCRPO Director PMGen. Vicente Danao Jr., this is to ease the load of police officers who have been monitoring quarantine controlled points for almost one year.

It could be a very very welcome development for all of us at least. Siguro nakikita ng taas na nako-kontrol na natin ang virus. Hopefully, as long as hindi po natin maba-violate ang basic health protocols (Maybe the higher-ups are seeing we are controlling the virus. Hopefully, as long as we do not violate the basic health protocols),” he said.

Aside from this, easing the quarantine classification can also help them in focusing more on their anti-illegal drugs, anti-criminality, and anti-terrorism campaign.

Meanwhile, Danao also reiterated that the public should still follow the minimum health and safety protocols.

“Let us be responsible enough to really, follow the basic like wearing a facemask, face shield, social distancing,” he said. -AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.