VP Leni Robredo to resign from President Duterte’s Cabinet
by UNTV News | Posted on Sunday, December 4th, 2016
On Sunday, December 04, 2016, the official website of Vice President Leni Robredo published her statement that says she will tender her resignation from President Duterte’s Cabinet on Monday, December 5.
Read the full statement below.
Statement of Vice President Leni Robredo
We had hoped this day would not come.
I had been warned of a plot to steal the vice presidency. I have chosen to ignore this and focus on the job at hand. But the events of recent days indicate that this plot is now being set into motion.
From the very beginning, the President and I had major differences in principles and values. Since I assumed office, I have been consistent in my opposition to issues such as the burial of former President Ferdinand Marcos in the Libingan ng mga Bayani, extra-judicial killings, reinstating death penalty, lowering the age of criminal liability, and sexual attacks against women.
But we both had a mandate to serve the people. I had hoped that this shared commitment to the poor and marginalized would transcend the differences between us. So, I took the job of Housing Secretary when it was offered to me.
In barely five months, we have solid accomplishments in HUDCC. This, despite the obstacles thrown our way, which are:
One, the budget for all key shelter agencies in 2017 has been slashed by more than P19 billion. Two, all our key shelter agency appointment recommendations have not been acted on. Three, the Executive Order designed to make HUDCC effective was not signed.
Then, we received a text message last Saturday from Cabinet Secretary Jun Evasco, Jr., relaying the President’s instruction through Bong Go for me “to desist from attending all Cabinet meetings starting this Monday, December 5.”
This is the last straw, because it makes it impossible for me to perform my duties. Hence, I am tendering my resignation from the Cabinet on Monday, December 5, 2016. With this resignation, you can expect that I will continue to support the positive initiatives of this administration and oppose those that are inimical to the people’s interest.
However, as your duly elected Vice President, I will not allow the Vice Presidency to be stolen. I will not allow the will of the people to be thwarted. I will continue to serve the Filipino family and fulfill their dream for a better life.
MANILA, Philippines — On the program Get It Straight with Daniel Razon on Tuesday, the country’s second-highest official, Vice President Leni Robredo said that it is impossible to have irregularities in the 2016 national polls.
This was her reaction to the privilege speech of Sen. Tito Sotto last March 6 where the latter alleged that there had been foreign access to Smartmatic servers and premature transmission of election results in Libon, Albay before May 9, 2016 — which was election day.
“Ito paniwala ko, kung may dayaan noong eleksyon, lumabas na dapat,” said Robredo.
(This is what I believe, if there was election fraud, it should’ve surfaced already.)
When asked if Sotto was misled, the vice president said, “Hindi naman. Napakasweeping naman para sabihin ko ‘yon pero isa iyon sa mga possibilities.”
(Not really. It’s a sweeping generalization to say that; but it’s a possibility.)
Sen. Sotto hit back saying VP Robredo is not the subject of his criticisms.
“My question now, itatanong ko sa kanya: bakit? Siya ba ang nakinabang doon? Why are they questioning it? Sila ba ang nakinabang? Wala naman akong binabanggit,” said the senator.
(My question to her now is: why? Was she the one who benefited from it? Why are they questioning it? Did they benefit from it? I have not said anything.)
“I have nothing to show. I have nothing to do with Marcos and Robredo. I have nothing to do with Tolentino and De Lima, so he [source] thought that I would be the best person to show what he has and what he has gotten from the Smartmatic itself,” he said.
Sen. Sotto believes that his source is credible and is ready to face the probe of the Senate Committee on Electoral Reforms in April.
Officials of Comelec and Smartmatic will also be called to the scheduled hearing. — Mai Bermudez | UNTV News & Rescue
Vice President Leni Robredo answers a question from Daniel Razon on the program Get It Straight
MANILA, Philippines — In an interview on the program Get It Straight with Daniel Razon, Vice President Leni Robredo said there is someone behind the personal attacks against her.
When asked about the networks of critics attacking her, the vice president said: “Yung tumitira sa akin, well-oiled na infrastructure. Hindi totoong tao lahat. Konting percentage lang ang totoong tao. Isa siyang mahal na set-up na makinarya at identified na namin kung saan galing ang mga centers.”
(Those attacking me are from a well-oiled infrastructure. They are not real people. Only a small percentage are real people. It is an expensive set-up of machinery and we have already identified the location of its centers.)
The show’s host, Daniel Razon, clarified with Robredo, “So kung lahat ng alegasyon sa inyo Ma’am sa iba’t ibang mga platform, are you saying na walang totoo?”
(So all the allegations against you on various platforms, are you saying none of those are real?)
The vice president readily replied, “Walang totoo. Wala akong naaalala na may sinabi silang totoo.”
(None of it is real. I don’t recall them saying anything true.)
Robredo said her membership in the Liberal Party is the root of all the criticisms. Despite this, Robredo said she has no intention to turn her back against the previously most influential political party in the Philippines.
She further noted that she will even run under the Liberal Party in the event of another poll run-up.
“Nagumpisa ako sa Liberal, matatapos ako sa Liberal. Hindi naman ako sumama sa Liberal dahil sa mga kasama ko pero sumama ako sa Liberal dahil sa paniniwala. Naniniwala ako sa mga prinsipyo ng partido,” said the vice president.
(I began my political career with the Liberal Party, I will end my career still as a member of the Liberal Party. I joined Liberal not because of my colleagues, but because of ideology. I believe in the principles of the party.)
Robredo also clarified that despite her criticisms against extrajudicial killings, she is not against the president and even wishes for his success.
However, she believes it is everyone’s obligation to call out the wrongdoings of public officials including the president.
“Sino ba ang nasa likod ng EJK (extrajudicial killings)? Maraming pagkakataon, hindi ito palagay pero ito yung fact, mga pulis ang nasa likod ng EJK. Hindi si Pangulong Duterte. Pag nagkontra tayo sa EJK na ginagawa ng ilang mga pulis, hindi nangangahulugan na gusto natin bumagsak ang gobyerno,” she said.
(Who do you think are behind the EJKs (extrajudicial killings)? There are many instances, this is a fact, where the police are involved, not the president. When we express opposition against EJKs that are committed by some policemen, it doesn’t mean we want to destabilize the government.)
Should the chief executive offer her another Cabinet position, Robredo said she is ready to accept it but with one condition.
“Kung ang bahagi noon kailangan ako sumangayon sa lahat ng bagay na kahit laban sa paniniwala ko, mas mabuting hindi na lang. Pero kung may agreement na pwede naman ako mag call out kung palagay ko nagkakamali tingin ko, ‘yun ang magandang part doon,” the vice president said.
(If it requires me to agree with him at all times even if it’s against my principles, I would rather not accept it. But if I will be allowed to call out errors, I think I would be agreeable to it.)
The vice president is also hoping to be able to talk with the president to discuss important matters with him.
And when asked about what she would tell the president in a heart to heart talk, the vice president said: “If he gives me the chance, sasabihin ko lahat ng saloobin ko sa mga bagay na di namin pinag-aagreehan — EJK, human rights, China, Benham Rise, ICC (International Criminal Court) membership, propeso ng pagsulong ng Cha-Cha (Charter-Change). Sana mabigyan ako ng ganung pagkakataon.”
(If he gives me the chance, I will tell him all my concerns on policies I don’t agree with, like EJKs, human rights, China, Benham Rise, ICC membership, the manner in amending the charter. I hope to be given the chance to do so.) — Grace Casin | UNTV News & Rescue
Malacañang confirmed Philippines withdrawal from International Criminal Court over Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda violation of the principle of complementarity.
MANILA, Philippines — Presidential Spokesperson Secretary Harry Roque did not deny feeling sad about the Philippines withdrawal from the Rome Statute or treaty of the International Criminal Court (ICC) because he was among those who worked for it to be ratified during the administration of former President Benigno Aquino III.
However, he agrees with President Rodrigo Duterte’s decision to withdraw from the ICC treaty because, according to Roque, Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda violated the principle of complementarity and made herself become a political tool against the Philippines.
He added it is also clear that ICC has no jurisdiction over the Philippines or the President because local courts are still working in the country.
“Wrong political move Madame prosecutor and I am addressing you, wherever you are. You just gave countries confirmation on why they should not become a member of the ICC. Because you have shown that you can exercise your power without accountability. You are to blame if the ICC will become part of history,” said the presidential spokesperson.
Roque also said that the Philippines withdrawal from the ICC treaty will give way to the possible decline of credibility of the ICC and no other country will be encouraged to ratify the Rome Statute.
“Remember, the Philippines’ withdrawal from ICC treaty has a great impact being not only in Asia but as well as in other parts of the world,” said the official.
Roque added that the statement of United Nations (UN) human rights chief Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein against the Philippine president is a great deciding factor for the government.
“With the statement, the President is convinced that there must be some kind of a conspiracy on the part of pressure groups and UN officials to shame him,” said Roque.
Albay Representative Edcel Lagman and Vice President Leni Robredo believe the international community may lose trust in the Philippines.
“The international community will lose trust in the Philippines because a country which does not honor its commitments does not deserve the trust of other states,” said Lagman.
Robredo echoed the same sentiments saying, “Ano ba iyong implikasyon ng pag-alis natin, pag-withdraw? Iyong international perception sa ating bansa apektado. Pangalawa, nagiging questionable na iyong commitment natin sa international agreements. Pangatlo, ano ba iyong gusting sabihin nito pagdating sa human rights? Ayaw na ba natin mangako na ia-uphold natin ito.”
(What will be the implication of our withdrawal? The international perception on the country is affected. Secondly, our commitment to international agreements has become questionable. Thirdly, what does it say about human rights? Are we not anymore willing to promise to uphold it?)
These statements were abruptly rebutted by Malacañang.
“America is not a member of ICC. Does it have an effect on the image of America? None. Russia, also not a member of ICC. Does it have an effect? China, is there an effect? Again, there are 198 countries on this planet,” said the presidential spokesperson. — Rosalie Coz | UNTV News and Rescue
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.