MANILA, Philippines — “Any violation will be penalized with a fine of P5,000 or 1-year imprisonment or both. It would depend on the discretion or assessment of court,” QCPD Director PS/Supt. Guillermo Eleazar said.
The Quezon City Police District (QCPD) warned of arrest and imposition of penalties against those who would violate the firecracker ban.
Earlier, QCPD conducted an inspection of some stalls of firecrackers in Araneta Center in Cubao and checked their permits.
According to QCPD Chief PS/Supt. Guillermo Eleazar, 69 villages in the city have been designated as firecracker zones.
Some of these are in the villages of Sangandaan, Tandang Sora, North Fairview, Greater Lagro, and Old Balara, Batasan Hills, among others.
Particularly designated as firecracker zones are plazas, parks, and other open areas in the said villages.
This means those who want to use firecrackers can only do so in the designated zones.
Meanwhile, some firecracker vendors in the city are complaining of low sales this year.
Unlike this year, there were more customers of firecrackers in 2016 which resulted into high sales.
This firecracker store has been open since 8 in the morning, Thursday. However, until now, no one comes to buy their products.
“There are still no customers. The sales are too low unlike last year. Many are afraid. Eighty to 100% are no longer keen on using firecrackers,” said firecracker vendor, Ronalyn Edoria.
“For now, sales are still low. People normally buy on the 30th to the 31st of December,” said firecracker vendor, Jason Ogatis.
Some Filipinos prefer to purchase trumpets instead of firecrackers, saying it is safer and more affordable.
Malacañang appealed anew to the public to follow the regulations released by the government for peaceful and safe year-end revelry. – Joan Nano | UNTV News & Rescue