Vince Carter retires after NBA record 22-season career
UNTV News • June 26, 2020 • 1523
Atlanta Hawks guard Vince Carter officially announced his retirement from professional basketball on Thursday (June 25) after an NBA record 22-season career during which his high-flying dunks made him one of the game’s top players in his prime.
Carter, widely regarded as one of the greatest dunkers of all time, had previously said the 2019-20 NBA campaign would be his last but had not addressed his playing status since the NBA suspended its season in mid-March due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
“I am officially done playing basketball professionally,” Carter, 43, told the “Winging It” podcast.
Carter, the first NBA player to feature in four different decades, signed a one-year deal with the Hawks last August.
However, their season is over as they did not qualify for the NBA’s 22-team format for restarting action in late July at Disney World amid the novel coronavirus.
Carter played for eight teams during his career but will be most remembered for his time with the Toronto Raptors, where he put the Canadian city on the basketball map and earned the nickname “Air Canada” for his feats above the rim.
After his first season in Toronto, Carter was named the NBA’s rookie of the year in 1999. He was then named an All-Star for each of the following eight seasons.
In his second season, Carter won the Slam Dunk Contest during All-Star Weekend with a dazzling display that further increased his stardom and helped ignite basketball’s popularity in what had otherwise been an ice hockey-mad country.
Carter, who ranks 22nd on the NBA’s all-time scoring list, averaged 16.7 points, 4.3 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game during a career that also included stops in New Jersey, Orlando, Phoenix, Dallas, Memphis, Sacramento and Atlanta.
He also helped USA Basketball win gold medals at the 2000 Sydney Olympics and 2003 FIBA Americas tournament. (Reuters)
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte on Saturday announced his withdrawal from the vice presidential race in 2022 and his retirement from politics when his term ends in June.
Duterte made the statement as he accompanied Senator Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go who filed for candidacy as vice president under the Partido Demokratiko Pilipino – Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban).
“In obedience to the will of the people, who, after all, placed me in the presidency many years ago… I now say, sa mga kababayan ko, sundin ko ang gusto ninyo. Today, I announce my retirement from politics. Salamat po sa inyong lahat,” Duterte said.
According to the Chief Executive, he was heeding public sentiment that his vice-presidential bid violates the Constitution.
“The universal sentiment of the Filipino has been reflected in the different surveys and in many forums, caucuses, and meetings to discuss what should I do in my life. The overwhelming sentiment of the Filipino is that I am not qualified and it would be a violation of the Constitution to circumvent the law, the spirit of the Constitution,” Duterte said.
The President was referring to the Social Weather Stations survey conducted in June which showed that 60% of adult Filipinos believe “the proposal that President Rodrigo Duterte should run for vice-president in the 2022 election violates the intention of the Constitution, which should first be amended before he may run for office again.”
MANILA, Philippines—Senator Manny ‘Pacman’ Pacquiao on Wednesday (September 29) said he will hang up his gloves for good as he announced his retirement from boxing.
With 62 wins, eight losses, and two draws, Pacquiao has become a boxing legend and has brought pride not just to his family but also to Filipinos.
In a video posted on his Facebook page, the 42-year-old said he has heard the final bell and will bid his final goodbye to boxing.
“It is difficult for me to accept that my time as a boxer is over. Today I am announcing my retirement. Goodbye boxing,” Pacquiao said.
In a statement, the people’s champ said he is grateful for his accomplishments and the opportunity to inspire. He also expressed his gratitude for those who made sacrifices to help him in his boxing journey, especially to Zardo Mejia, who taught him how to box. He also thanked Freddie Roach who has been his trainer for years.
Pacquiao, in his boxing career, earned 12 major world titles in eight different weight divisions. He also holds the record for being the only boxer to hold titles in four different decades, and become the oldest fighter to win a world welterweight title. Out of his 62 wins, 39 were by knockout and 23 by decision.
He thanked boxing for changing his life.
“When my family was desperate, you gave us hope, you gave me the chance to fight my way out of poverty. Because of you, I was able to inspire people all over the world. Because of you, I have been given the courage to change more lives. I will never forget what I have done and accomplished in my life that I can’t imagine. I just heard the final bell. The boxing is over,” Pacquiao said. AAC
REUTERS – The National Basketball Association (NBA) Board of Governors have approved a plan to restart the suspended season with a tentative July 31 start at Disney World, Florida amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, the league said on Thursday (June 4).
The plan would see 22 of the NBA’s 30 teams play eight games to determine a 16-team playoff field that would follow the traditional post-season format with four best-of-seven series that would crown a champion no later than October 12.
The league said approval from its Board of Governors, which came on the day originally scheduled for the start of the NBA Finals, is the first formal step among the many required to resume the season.
According to ESPN, the vote on the format was 29-1, with the Portland Trail Blazes voting against the proposal.
All games, practices and housing would be at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex which is inside the Orlando resort and has multiple hotels and arenas, and would allow the league to limit outside exposure.
The NBA was the first North American sports league to suspend its season due to the COVID-19 pandemic after one of its players tested positive for the new coronavirus in mid-March.
The 22 returning teams would be comprised of the eight teams from each of the two conferences currently in playoff positions plus the six clubs that are six games or fewer behind the eighth seed in their respective conferences.
If everything goes according to plan, the NBA said the 2020-21 season would begin on Dec. 1.
The league also said it plans to hold its 2020 NBA Draft Lottery to determine the order of the first 14 selections on Aug. 25. Lottery teams would be comprised of the eight clubs that do not participate in the restart and the six that go to Florida but do not qualify for the playoffs.
The actual NBA Draft, typically held in June, is now scheduled for Oct. 15.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.