Villavende died from shock, multiple injuries based on autopsy report
Aileen Cerrudo • January 7, 2020 • 1474
Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) Jeanelyn Villavende died of “heart, respiration failure” due to shock and multiple injuries, based on the autopsy report released by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).
Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III confirmed on Monday (January 6) they have already received the autopsy report of Villavende, who was allegedly killed by her female employer last December.
Bello also said Villavende might have been beaten to death, based on the autopsy report conducted in Kuwait.
He also calls for the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to conduct their own autopsy report.—AAC (with reports from Aiko Miguel)
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) is encouraging companies to allow telecommuting or ‘work-from-home’ services to help curb spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
Based on record from DOLE’s Bureau of Local Employment, only less than a hundred companies in the country offer a ‘work-from-home’ program, most of them are in the Information Technology and business process management (IT-BPM) industry due to its capacity and nature of work.
DOLE admits, however, that there are factors companies take into consideration before allowing said work scheme, such as the firm’s facilities for telecommuting, the working environment and the employees themselves.
“May mga considerations kasi like iyong work ethics mo, iyong performance mo, how critical the job is that you are handling in the workplace,” explained DOLE-BLE Director Dominique Tutay.
“Then siyempre, nandyan ang trust, nandiyan din ang security issue of information,” the official added.
Also, one of the major factors to be considered is the employees’ Internet connection given that all work will be done online.
“Handa ba ang alternative workplace? I-check din po iyan ng mga employer kung ito po bang tahanan halimbawa ng ating worker ay papasa into a telecommuting environment,” the director said.
Last month, DOLE issued a Prevention and Control Guidelines for private companies in consideration of the coronavirus threat in their workplaces. MNP (with details from Harlene Delgado)
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has warned the public against bogus job offers abroad following reports received by the Philippine Overseas Labor Office about a fraudulent scheme that lures Filipinos to work in Yukon Territory in Canada.
Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said that based on information they received, the scammer uses the name of a website of a legitimate Yukon Human Resources practitioner to dupe their unsuspecting victims.
The victims are then asked to pay US$440 in exchange for non-existent jobs.
The Labor chief said the scammers took advantage of DOLE’s announcement in September 2019 on the employment opportunities in various industries in Yukon.
It was in August last year when Bello and Minister Ranj Pillai signed a joint Communique to establish cooperation on the recruitment of Filipino workers to Yukon.
After the signing, a proposed memorandum of understanding was forwarded to Yukon, which aims to establish a system for the recruitment process in the deployment of Filipinos through a Nominee program under a government-to-government arrangement.
“This government to government agreement shall validate the existence of guaranteed employment offers. Hence, we are warning the public to be very cautious of this scam that seemingly capitalizes on the still-to-be finalized labor agreement between the Philippines and Yukon,” Bello said.
He, however, clarified that a bilateral labor pact has yet to be signed between the two parties.
“Based on the report by our POLO Vancouver, the Yukon government is still studying the memorandum of understanding, and DOLE will provide an update on this undertaking,” Bello said.
DOLE reiterated its advise to the public to visit the website of the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (poea.gov.ph) to validate the authenticity of any job offers they receive.
He also urged jobseekers to report to the POEA via email@example.com any suspicious job-related activities they encountered.
The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) on Monday reminded employers in the private sector to properly pay their workers who will be on duty during the anniversary of the EDSA People Power Revolution on February 25.
In an advisory, DOLE said those who will report for work on February 25, which is a special non-working holiday, should receive an additional 30% of their basic wage in the first eight hours.
“Their basic wage shall be multiplied by 130 percent plus COLA,” DOLE acting secretary Ana Dione said in the advisory.
“If the employee did not work, however, the “no work, no pay” principle shall apply unless there is favorable company policy, practice, or collective bargaining agreement (CBA) granting payment on a special day,” she added.
If the special non-working holiday falls on the workers’ rest day, they shall be paid an additional 50 percent of their basic wage on the first eight hours of work.
If they work in excess of eight hours, they will be paid an additional 30 percent on their hourly rate, according to DOLE.
Under Proclamation No. 845, s. of 2019 released by Malacañang, February 25 is among the special non-working days for 2020.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.