A former Venezuelan opposition candidate for president said on Tuesday (August 07) that this weekend’s drone blasts were “condemnable,” but also said that the Venezuelan government itself is a “generator of violence.”
The former candidate and opposition leader, Henri Falcon said, “we condemn any act of violence no matter where it comes from or what side it’s on. But, it’s also necessary to condemn the causes that lead to it, and an exhaustive, objective, transparent, independent investigation is necessary.”
Socialist President Nicolas Maduro called the Saturday (August 04) afternoon drone blasts an assassination attempt during a televised speech shortly after the incident.
The Venezuelan government said suspects launched two DJI M600 drones laden with C4 explosives over an outdoor rally, which had been held to commemorate the founding of the National Guard.
One drone was “diverted” by security forces while the second fell on its own and hit an apartment building, authorities said.
Six people have been detained, authorities said on Sunday (August 05). Intelligence agents on Monday (August 06) searched an upscale hotel in eastern Caracas, workers at the hotel told Reuters, although it was not immediately evident if the searches were linked to the blasts. — Reuters