Venezuela migrant faces robbery, cold, hunger on journey to Peru

admin   •   August 21, 2018   •   3060

 

Venezuela migrant Johany Yoselin with her three children | REUTERS

 

The already difficult journey of one Venezuelan woman fleeing her home country just got a whole lot worse.

Twenty-eight-year-old Johany Yoselin, a former candy vendor, left Venezuela with her three young children, hoping to pass through Ecuador and resettle in Peru. But as she entered Ecuador on Monday (August 20), a tough situation became tougher when someone stole her luggage.

They left her with one small backpack and identification documents for her and her children. But Yoselin has nothing else and doesn’t know what to do next.

The robbery compounds difficulties Yoselin was already facing when, over the weekend, Ecuador put in passport controls on Venezuelans trying to enter the country.

She said she lost contact with the children’s father and is now struggling to keep her family warm on the streets amid frigid temperatures.

Yoselin is one of the hundreds of Venezuelans caught in similar situations.

Over the weekend, hundreds of desperate people who traveled days from Venezuela were prevented from passing the checkpoint near the southwestern town of Ipiales by a regulation set by Ecuador’s President Lenin Moreno that kicked in on Saturday.

More than a million Venezuelan migrants have entered Colombia over the last 15 months, according to official estimates, but Ecuador, Peru, and Brazil also have received many.

Over the last two years, especially, many Venezuelans have struggled to obtain passports amid the OPEC nation’s political and economic chaos.

This year alone, 423,000 Venezuelans have entered Ecuador through the Rumichaca border. — Reuters

Venezuela’s Maduro accuses opposition, US of plotting extremist attack

Robie de Guzman   •   December 17, 2019

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro seen at an event to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the country’s constitution in Caracas, Venezuela, Dec. 15, 2019. EFE-EPA/MIGUEL GUTIERREZ

Caracas – Venezuela’s president said Sunday that arrest warrants had been issued against those involved in an allegedly foiled extremist conspiratorial attack against his troops, which he accused opposition leaders and the United States of spearheading.

Nicolas Maduro spoke at the National Assembly and said the operation, which he claimed was uncovered Saturday and planned by leaders Juan Guaido and Leopoldo Lopez as well as the US, was aimed at attacking military outposts countrywide and averted by his intelligence team.

“On Friday evening, judicial and prosecutorial orders were issued to capture those involved in this bloody conspiracy,” Maduro said as he took part in a ceremony at the assembly, comprised only of Chavez supporters, to commemorate the Venezuelan Constitution’s 20th anniversary.

“Leopoldo Lopez, a fascist, psychopathic monster, who in 20 years has been behind all coup attempts and violent acts. He carries violence in his blood. He is a mental patient of violence… and also a thief,” the leader said during the celebration.

The alleged conspiracy was announced by Jorge Rodriguez, Communications Minister, who reported security agencies had dismantled an extremist plan headed by Lopez, Guaido and the Colombian Government headed by Ivan Duque. Fearing arrest, Lopez has since May sought refuge at the Spanish ambassador’s residence in Caracas.

According to Rodriguez, the operation’s participants intended to attack two military headquarters and carry out violent actions in six states.

Maduro said the alleged attacks were going to take place “in several cities in the country to cause a military and public bloodbath, as well as to shadow and shower Christmas and the festivities of the Venezuela’s people this 2019 in blood.”

He said that they managed to detect and stop the plan “thanks to civil, police and military cooperation.”

Maduro also said the foreign ministry received a Friday call from James Story, the Chargé d’Affaires for the Venezuela Affairs Unit at the US Virtual Embassy, whom Maduro accused of being the “conspiracy officer.”

According to the Venezuelan leader, Story called the vice-minister, Carlos Ron, during a confusing Friday incident involving substitute legislator Yanet Fermin, also accused by Rodriguez of being involved in the plot. He said several police officers appeared at her home but that she was finally not arrested. EFE-EPA

gdl/ht/lds

8-digit landline numbers takes effect Oct. 6

Marje Pelayo   •   October 7, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – The migration of landline numbers from seven to eight-digit telephone number format has taken effect on Sunday (October 6).

The said migration of landline numbers is in compliance with Memorandum 10-10-2017 issued by the National Telecommunication Company (NTC) which requires landline numbers with the area code “02” to switch to an 8-digit format to be able “to address the insufficient number of assignable exchange codes.”

The migration was originally scheduled on March 18 but was deferred after the Bankers Association of the Philippines and Credit Card Association of the Philippines filed petitions to give banks and credit card companies sufficient time to make the necessary operations and systems adjustments.

Following the order, Globe Telecom subscribers will add an identifier of 7 while PLDT customers will add an identifier of 8 before the existing seven-digit landline number.

The new policy covers Globe and PLDT subscribers in Metro Manila, Rizal, San Pedro in Laguna, and Bacoor in Cavite.

‘An environmental crime’ – millions of seahorses found on ship in Peru

UNTV News   •   October 4, 2019

In an operation at the port of Callao on Monday (September 30), Peruvian authorities seized some 12.3 million seahorses that were illegally caught and allegedly destined to be sold abroad, according to local reports.

The seahorses, of the Hippocampus ingens species which is protected by Peruvian regulations, were dried out and possibly destined to be sold for medicinal purposes in China according to local media.

Four crew members of the ship carrying the illegal contraband were detained by Peruvian authorities and will face charges of up to three to five years according to local media.

The millions of seahorses were stored within the ship in 55 boxes that weighed in at over one ton. (REUTERS)

(Production: Carlos Valdez)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

(+632) 8920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+632) 8396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+632) 8 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.