Vendors without sanitary requirements, banned along R. Papa street in Manila

UNTV News   •   October 19, 2017   •   4193

HEPA LANE

MANILA, Philippines – As the Manila City Hall continues to receive complaints from students and establishments along R. Papa street corner Nicanor Reyes, or what is dubbed as the “hepa lane” in Manila, members of the Task Force Clean-Up of the Department of Public Services (DPS) forcibly removed the food stalls of vendors in the area.

The DPS said, vendors have still failed to secure business and sanitary permits despite receiving a notice to stop their operation.

“When we sent them notice, they left. What I did was, I held a meeting with the management of the vendors there. I told them to go to the city hall to secure a permit. If they can secure one, they will have to go to the Sanitary Department to get another one,” DPS Head Task Force Clean-up Che Borromeo said.

The village chairman also held a dialogue on Wednesday night with the vendors and advised them to secure permits.

“They are willing to obey the requirements of the city hall,” Brgy. 395 chairman Eduardo Gevero said.

For now, vendors have left the “hepa lane”. The DPS also ordered policemen to monitor the area so vendors will no longer return.

Some of the vendors are waiting on the sidewalk, hoping for the local government of Manila to grant them permits so they could continue their livelihood.

“We are just here on standby awaiting instructions because we really can’t sell properly since they are monitoring the area. For now, our president is taking care of the matter,” vendor Cali Sumagabang said.

According to the Division of Sanitation of Manila, the vendors have already applied for permits but they failed to pass the sanitary requirements.

“There were efforts in their part to legitimize it, now they went here and we conducted a seminar. When we visited them, we saw it. You are on the road, you put tables, and cook food and at the same time wash dining utensils. That is not allowed. And in terms of cleaning, they are sweeping it to the gutter,” Sanitation Division of Manila head Clemente San Gabriel said.

Manila authorities remind the public of the diseases they can get when eating at unsanitary places, like food poisoning, gastroenteritis, diarrhea, stomach flu, and cholera. – Joan Nano | UNTV News & Rescue

29 evacuees now discharged after treatment for food poisoning

Marje Pelayo   •   November 6, 2019

Earthquake victims in Makilala town, North Cotabato suffered abdominal pains followed by vomiting after eating pastel for lunch on Monday, November 4, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – All 29 victims of food poisoning in Makilala, Cotabato were already discharged from the hospital.

According to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), evacuees from Barangay Malabuan suffered stomach pains followed by vomiting after eating pastel that was part of the donated food packages in the evacuation center.

To prevent the incident from happening again, authorities improved security measures at checkpoints to ensure the quality of food being delivered to the evacuees.

The agency also called on all donors to make sure that food donations are properly prepared and packed to prevent spoilage.

“Hindi naman po natin masisisi ang kung sino man dito sa nangyari (We can’t blame anyone for what happened),” Timbal said.

“But we will do our best to ensure (that this won’t happen again),” he added.

Meanwhile, the national government is sending additional funds for the rehabilitation of earthquake-affected towns in Mindanao.

Earlier on Wednesday (November 6), Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana together with Health Secretary Francisco Duque III and Interior Secretary Eduardo Año visited Kidapawan City Provincial Capitol to check on the situation.

Lorenzana said local chief executives are asking for additional budget as they have already used up most of their calamity fund.

Apart from rehabilitation, the national government also provided for the relocation of the victims who lost their homes from the earthquake. – MNP (with details from Harlene Delgado)

Water could have sickened guests in Imelda Marcos’ birthday party – DOH

Marje Pelayo   •   July 5, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) is now testing samples of the drinking water served to guests in the birthday party of former First Lady Imelda Marcos.

The test is to determine what could have caused stomach pains, nausea, and vomiting among the guests in Marcos’ birthday party at the Ynares Sports Center in Pasig City on Tuesday (July 2).

“Ite-test din natin kung mayroong bacteria o kung contamination iyong tubig (We will test (the water) for possible bacteria or contamination),” explained DOH Undersecretary Eric Domingo.

“Kasi maaaring hindi lamang sa pagkain. Maaaring sa tubig ito nanggaling (Because it may not just be from food. It could also be from the water),” he added.

Domingo said the test may take to about three to five days so they may be able to release the result by early next week. – with details from Aiko Miguel

PhilHealth to shoulder hospital expenses of victims of food poisoning

Aileen Cerrudo   •   July 4, 2019

The Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) assured to shoulder the hospital expenses of the victims of food poisoning at the birthday celebration of former first lady Imelda Marcos.

PhilHealth President and CEO Ricardo Morales said all victims who are PhilHealth members and are confined in private and public hospitals can avail their benefits.

“PhilHealth pays up to P6,000 for food poisoning or acute gastroenteritis with moderate to severe dehydration when confined in any PhilHealth accredited hospital,” he said.

Meanwhile, non-members can avail the Point of Service (POS) Program in government hospitals.

“We want to assure those affected that in case hospitalization is required, they can bank on their PhilHealth coverage for financial protection,” Morales adds.—AAC (with reports from Aiko Miguel)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.