Velasco denies agreeing to House speakership term-sharing deal with Cayetano
Robie de Guzman • July 1, 2019 • 1278
Surigao del Sur 2nd district Representative Johnny Pimentel, who has been tasked to speak for Marinduque Rep. Allan Lord Velasco, said there was never a formal agreement between Velasco and Taguig Representative-elect Alan Peter Cayetano regarding speakership term-sharing as insisted by the latter.
“I already got the side of Congressman Velasco and he has told me to release a statement. There was never an agreement between the two of them… Congressman Velasco is firm na hindi naman sila nag-uusap,” Pimentel told UNTV News and Rescue in an interview.
Pimentel made the statement after Cayetano expressed disappointment with Velasco for not being faithful to what was supposedly agreed upon.
Last week, Cayetano said an agreement “in principle” was reached on the night of June 24 for a “15-21” term-sharing setup between him and Velasco.
The deal will allow Cayetano to lead the lower chamber for the first 15 months, and will pass it to Velasco who will take the helm in the remaining 21 months.
Cayetano said Velasco, as well as his wife, agreed to the proposal only to back out from it.
“It is for this reason that I am deeply disappointed that after we both expressed full agreement with the President’s proposal, Rep. Velasco and his wife are now making a turn around and won’t honor President’s wishes,” he said in a statement.
Duterte earlier said he has greenlighted the idea of term-sharing for speakership, seeing this as a win-win solution as he has decided not to endorse any candidate for the coveted post.
“Ito sabi ko. Maghati kayo ng term. Ang gusto ni Cayetano, mauna siya. But he will stay there just for 15 months. That’s what he committed. Si — and Velasco can have the — the other half which is not really as short as — 21 months. Sabihin ko mag-ano… Ganun ang proposal. Pumayag na si Cayetano but si Velasco mukhang last minute nag-back out,” the president said.
But according to Pimentel, it wasn’t right for Cayetano to speak with Velasco’s wife over the issue.
“I dont think that is right that you talked to the other person. I think they should talk to the candidate himself. Mahirap yung iba ang kausap niya,” he said.
Velasco earlier said he is not in favor of the proposed term-sharing as this was not the will of the majority of congressmen.
Apart from Cayetano and Velasco, also vying for the top House post are Leyte Representative-elect Martin Romualdez, Pampanga Representative Aurelio Gonzales and Davao del Norte Representative Pantaleon Alvarez.
Meanwhile, Davao City 1st district Representative-elect Paolo Duterte blasted a “friend” for dragging his name into the speakership issue.
“Pakiusap lang po. Kung sino man ang gusto na idamay ako sa usapin ng speakership sa House of Representatives — huwag po ninyo akong gamitin. Huwag po ang pangalan ko,” Duterte said in a statement released on Sunday.
He then urged his fellow House members to vote for a leader who respects other people, especially women.
“Piliin po natin ang lider na may respeto sa kawpa, lalo na sa babae — kahit na asawa pa man ito ng kanyang kalaban,” he said.
House members are set to elect the next Speaker when the session of the 18th Congress opens on the morning of July 22, the same day when Duterte will deliver his fourth State of the Nation Address. (with details from Grace Casin)
MANILA, Philippines – Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio, who chairs the regional party Hugpong ng Pagbabago (HNP) blasted the removal of Davao City Third District Representative Isidro Ungab as head of the House Committee on Appropriations in the lower chamber’s major shake-up on Monday.
In a statement on Tuesday, Duterte-Carpio said the HNP “strongly condemns” Ungab’s removal from the key House post, calling it “grossly unacceptable” and “disadvantageous” to the reform agenda being pushed by the Duterte government.
“For HNP, the ouster of Ungab was grossly unacceptable as it is disadvantageous to the Duterte administration’s reform agenda for the Filipino people and the country,” she said.
Also booted out from post is Oriental Mindoro Representative Paulino Salvador “Doy” Leachon as head of the House of Representatives Electoral Tribunal.
House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano earlier said Ungab and Leachon were removed from their posts because they were “more interested in funds and intrigues” than working with him.
The shake-up follows Cayetano’s accusations against Marinduque Representative Lord Allan Velasco of attempting to stage a coup to grab the top House post.
Velasco has denied the allegation.
Duterte-Carpio said Ungab is a good soldier of the President who did his job with pride and principle.
She, however, denied any personal knowledge on the alleged coup attempt.
Meanwhile, Leachon claimed that Cayetano’s move was just a smokescreen of his alleged intention of not honoring the term-sharing agreement with Velasco as brokered by President Rodrigo Duterte.
“You’ve been telling that there was a coup in order to, as I said it was a smokescreen para pagtaguan ang tunay na dahilan na gusto mo magtagal sa position para diridiretso ang enjoyment ng kasamahan or ikaw partikular ka sa iyong probinsya to the detriment of other members,” he said.
It can be recalled that in July 2019, Duterte brokered a “15-21” term-sharing deal between Cayetano and Velasco to settle the conflict in the then-House speakership race.
Under the deal, Cayetano will serve the first 15 months while Velasco will serve the remaining 21 months of the three-year term. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Vincent Arboleda)
MANILA, Philippines – The net satisfaction ratings of Vice President Leni Robredo, Senate President Vicente Sotto III, and House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano rose in the last quarter of 2019, based on the latest survey of the Social Weather Stations (SWS) released on Tuesday, March 3.
The survey, conducted from December 13 to 16, 2019, revealed that 59% were satisfied and 23% were dissatisfied with the performance of Robredo.
Robredo’s rating increased by three points for a “good” +36, an improvement from her previous +33 in September 2019.
Meanwhile, Sotto got a “very good” +62 net satisfaction rating after 73% of the respondents said they were satisfied with his performance as Senate President while 10% expressed dissatisfaction.
Sotto’s rating is one-point higher than his previous +61 in September 2019.
Cayetano also got a “very good” +53 rating as 67% of respondents said they were satisfied with his performance while 15% said they were not satisfied.
The House Speaker’s score is up by four points from his previous rating of +49.
The survey also showed that 40% of respondents were satisfied with the work of Supreme Court Chief Justice Diosdado Peralta while 19% said they were dissatisfied.
Peralta’s first net satisfaction rating was a “moderate” +21, the SWS said. He assumed the post in October last year.
The December 2019 survey also revealed that the net satisfaction rating of the Senate stayed “very good” +62 which is up from +56 in September; while the House of Representatives climbed from “good” to “very good” +51 from the previous +43.
The Supreme Court’s net satisfaction rating also remained “good” +49, up from +41 in September while the Cabinet as a whole stayed “good” at +45 rating, a 10-point increase from its previous +35 rating.
The Fourth Quarter 2019 SWS Survey was conducted from December 13-16, 2019 using face-to-face interviews of 1,200 adults (18 years old and above) nationwide.
Please visit the link for additional information about the survey.
MANILA, Philippines – House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano has assured that the House of Representatives will conduct impartial hearing on bills seeking to renew the franchise of media network ABS-CBN.
In a statement on Tuesday, Cayetano said the renewal of ABS-CBN franchise are among the issues that the Lower House has been “carefully studying from day one of the 18th Congress” amid calls from his colleagues to set a hearing to tackle the pending bills.
“Congress is committed to conduct a hearing where those who are against or in favor of the renewal may make their case,” he said, adding that the move will be consistent with the Duterte administration’s stand on the protection of the freedom of expression.
There are at least 11 bills seeking for the renewal of ABS-CBN’s franchise pending before a House committee level, just about a month before Congress sessions adjourn on March 11. The network’s franchise is set to expire on March 30.
However, Cayetano stressed that the legislation process cannot be rushed.
“While we understand that there are certain interests who want to rush this process, we stand by the leadership of the 18th Congress and the Committee on Legislative Fanchises on how to prioritize urgent and important legislation,” he said.
“We also commit that the 18th Congress shall study this issue from all aspects in order to protect the interest of the public,” he added.
Cayetano issued the statement after Solicitor General Jose Calida filed a quo warranto case before the Supreme Court asking for the forfeiture of the legislative franchise of ABS-CBN.
Calida cited in his plea the alleged highly abusive practices and violations of the broadcast network, including foreign ownership and lack of operation permits.
The network has denied the accusations, maintaining that it has no outstanding tax liability and did not violate the law.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.