Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

USA pledges multi-billion peso fund in support of the Duterte Administration

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Thursday, November 16th, 2017

After the 31st ASEAN Summit and related meetings, United States President Donald Trump announced Washington’s multi-billion donation for the programs of the Duterte administration.

In a statement released by the White House, the US government will donate an additional amount of USD14.3-million or almost P750-million in aid for the fast recovery and rehabilitation of the war-torn Marawi City and its 360,000 displaced residents.

Washington will also donate USD85-million for the counter terrorism-related equipment of the Philippines, training and support for its armed forces.

It will also give USD 2-million for the Duterte administration’s campaign against illegal drugs.

It can be noted the anti-drug campaign of the Duterte Administration has drawn criticism from various sectors and international leaders because of the human rights abuses the Philippine authorities allegedly committed in the name of the drug war. – UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , ,

Georgia man charged with plotting attack on White House

by admin   |   Posted on Thursday, January 17th, 2019

Aerial footage of law enforcement presence of suspect Hasher Taheb’s home in Cumming, Georgia, United States | Reuters

 A Georgia man has been arrested and charged for allegedly plotting to destroy the White House and other government buildings in Washington, Wednesday (January 16).

“Today, the Joint Terrorism Task Force Partners, which is led by the FBI, arrested Hasher Taheb, 21 years old, of Cumming Georgia, after a through investigation into his plans to attack Federal buildings,” said U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Georgia Byung Jin “Bjay Pak”. “His alleged intent was to attack the White House and other targets of opportunity in the Washington, D.C.,” he said.

Local law enforcement contacted the FBI in March after getting a tip from a member of the community, NBC said. The tipster said Taheb had become radicalized, changed his name and planned to travel abroad, NBC reported. — Reuters

Tags: , ,

CNN sues White House over revoked credentials of correspondent

by admin   |   Posted on Wednesday, November 14th, 2018

 

President Donald Trump listening to CNN reporter Jim Acosta | REUTERS

CNN filed a lawsuit on Tuesday (November 13) against the Trump administration over the revocation of press credentials for White House correspondent Jim Acosta, whose questions and reporting have been a frequent target of criticism by President Donald Trump.

“We have asked this court for an immediate restraining order requiring the pass be returned to Jim, and will seek permanent relief as part of this process,” CNN said in a statement. “While the suit is specific to CNN and Acosta, this could have happened to anyone. If left unchallenged, the actions of the White House would create a dangerous chilling effect for any journalist who covers our elected officials.”

The Republican president has steadily intensified his criticism of the media, with CNN remaining a major target.

Trump erupted into anger last week during a news conference when Acosta questioned him about the so-called migrant caravan traveling through Mexico and about an ongoing investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election.

“That’s enough, that’s enough,” Trump said on Wednesday, as a White House intern attempted to take the microphone off Acosta. “You are a rude, terrible person.”

The White House suspended his credentials later that day, with press secretary Sarah Sanders accusing Acosta of putting his hands on the intern who was trying to take the microphone from him. She called his behavior “absolutely unacceptable.”

Video of the encounter showed Acosta pulling back as the intern moved to take the microphone. He called the White House accusations a lie.

“While the suit is specific to CNN and Acosta, this could have happened to anyone,” CNN said. “If left unchallenged, the actions of the White House would create a dangerous chilling effect for any journalist who covers our elected officials.” — Reuters

Tags: , ,

Trump, White House deny wrongdoing after Cohen plea deal

by admin   |   Posted on Thursday, August 23rd, 2018

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to the news media on the airport tarmac about the federal conviction of his former presidential campaign chairman Paul Manafort as the president arrives for a campaign event in Charleston, West Virginia, U.S. August 21, 2018. REUTERS/Leah Millis

The White House pushed back forcefully on Wednesday (August 22) against suggestions that a plea deal struck by President Donald Trump’s former lawyer Michael Cohen implicated Trump in a crime.

“As the president has said, we’ve stated many times, he did nothing wrong. There are no charges against him,” press secretary Sarah Sanders said at a White House briefing. “Just because Michael Cohen made a plea deal doesn’t mean that that implicates the president on anything.”

Cohen on Tuesday pleaded guilty to eight criminal charges of tax evasion, bank fraud, and campaign finance violations. He told a federal court in Manhattan that Trump directed him to arrange payments ahead of the 2016 presidential election to silence two women who said they had affairs with Trump.

The White House’s position tracked what Trump had maintained throughout the course of the day. Earlier, the president lashed out at Cohen in a Twitter post by saying the campaign finance violations Cohen pleaded guilty to in federal court in New York on Tuesday were not a crime – even though prosecutors and Cohen agreed that they were. Trump made the claim without offering any evidence. -Reuters

Tags: , ,