US Ambassador lauds ‘total rockstar’ Manila Mayor Isko

Robie de Guzman   •   July 12, 2019   •   4955

MANILA, Philippines – “A total Rockstar,” this was how United States Ambassador to the Philippines Sung Kim called new Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso when they met on Friday.

Kim lauded Domagoso’s progressive policies and leadership style that “bring dynamism and energies” to the position.

The new mayor of the Philippine capital city recently grabbed headlines for dramatically reforming Manila’s congested roads and markets, ordering clearing operations against illegal vendors and other road obstructions.

READ: Manila Mayor Isko orders ‘shrine makeover’ near city hall

READ: Mayor Isko warns to close Manila malls with illegal vendors

Kim also commended Domagoso’s stance on the government’s campaign against drugs. The mayor earlier expressed support for the program but cautioned police to respect human rights.

“We appreciate your approach. You’re dealing with it in a manner that is consistent with human rights and rule of law,” Kim said.

Mayor Isko, who took part in the US State Department sponsored International Visitors Leadership Program in 2011, also shared with Kim his policies and plans for the City and “the core values that influence his mindset and leadership style.”

When asked by Kim on what keeps Mayor Isko awake at night, he replied: “My greatest is for the people to accept that chaos is the norm in the city.”

44-year old Domagoso was with his chief of staff, Cesar Chavez, when they paid Kim a visit on Friday morning while the US envoy was accompanied by Internal Political Chief of the Embassy Josh Morris. Their meeting lasted for nearly 45 minutes.

Mayor Isko, pinabulaanan ang ulat na hard lockdown sa buong Maynila

Robie de Guzman   •   May 22, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Mariing pinabulaanan ni Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso ang balitang isasailalim sa hard lockdown ang buong lungsod sa mga susunod na araw.

“Huwag po kayong magpapaniwala sa mga sabi-sabi na maglolockdown dito maglolockwon doon dahil kung mayroon man pong ganun ay ako po mismo ang mananawagan sa media,” ani Domagoso.

Ginawa ng alkalde ang paglilinaw kasunod ng mga ulat na ilalagay sa lockdown ang maraming barangay kasunod ng pamamahagi ng pinansiyal na ayuda mua sa lokal na pamahalaan.

Ayon kay Mayor Isko, dumadaan sa masusing pag-aaral bago mailagay sa hard lockdown ang isang lugar.

Kailangan ding may mataas na kaso ang isang barangay upang maikunsidera itong isailalim sa mas mahigpit na quarantine measure.

Sa pinakahuling ulat, aabot na sa 1,152 ang nag-positibo sa coronavirus sa lungsod ng Maynila. Tatlumpu’t tatlo rito ang bagong kaso. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Dante Amento)

Manila Mayor Isko places Tondo on 48-hour hard lockdown starting May 3

Robie de Guzman   •   April 30, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Manila City Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso has ordered the entire district of Tondo to be placed under a 48-hour hard lockdown for surveillance and mass testing operations for novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

In a statement issued on Thursday, the Manila Public Information Office said Mayor Isko has signed Executive Order No. 22 to shut down the entire Tondo 1 district for 48 hours.

The hard lockdown will start from 5 a.m. on Sunday, May 3 until 5 p.m. on Tuesday, May 5.

Domagoso said the shutdown aims to “contain the spread” and “mitigate any adverse effects” of COVID-19 in the district.

In his order, Mayor Isko said that “disease surveillance, verification or testing and rapid risk assessment” activities will be carried out as response measures to the imminent danger posed by COVID-19.

As of Wednesday, April 29, Tondo 1 has 83 active COVID-19 cases and 231 suspects for the virus. So far, seven residents have recovered while 12 have died.

Domagoso said the announcement of the lockdown was made in advance in order for the city government to complete its distribution of food packs for residents.

He said about 140,166 families in Tondo 1 area will receive food packs on Thursday and Friday.

This is the second 48-hour hard lockdown imposed by the Manila City government. Earlier, the Sampaloc district was placed under hard lockdown due to rising COVID-19 cases.

More areas in Manila to undergo hard lockdown due to rising COVID-19 cases

Aileen Cerrudo   •   April 28, 2020

More areas in the city of Manila will be placed under hard lockdown due to the rising cases of coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

The Manila City government through the Special Mayor’s Action Reaction Team (SMART) is currently drafting the implementing rules to put District 1 of Tondo under hard lockdown, while the city council is finalizing the executive order for this purpose.

Based on the report of the Manila Public Information Office (MPIO), as of 5:00 p.m. on Monday (April 27) there are 94 confirmed COVID-19 cases in District 1 Tondo with 233 suspected cases.

The local government also reported that 33 barangays in District 1 faced challenges in the enforcement of enhanced community quarantine (ECQ), noting the numerous violations in social distancing and curfew.

Other possible areas that may undergo hard lockdown include District 2 Tondo, Sta. Cruz, and Sta. Mesa. AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.