U.S. orders China to shut Houston consulate in move China calls ‘unprecedented escalation’

UNTV News   •   July 23, 2020   •   245

The United States has told China to close its consulate in Houston in a dramatic worsening of ties between the world’s two biggest economies, and a source said Beijing was considering shutting the U.S. consulate in Wuhan in retaliation.

Washington “abruptly demanded” closure of the Houston consulate on Tuesday (July 21), China’s foreign ministry said, calling the move an “unprecedented escalation.” The editor of an official Chinese media outlet said China had been given 72 hours to do so.

The State Department said the move was made “to protect American intellectual property and Americans’ private information.”

Beijing condemned the order and threatened retaliation, but did not say what measures it might take.

Speaking on a visit to Denmark, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo repeated accusations about Chinese theft of U.S. and European intellectual property, which he said were costing “hundreds of thousands of jobs.”

While offering no specifics about the Houston consulate, Pompeo referred to a U.S. Justice Department indictment on Tuesday of two Chinese nationals over what it called a decade-long cyber espionage campaign that targeted defense contractors, COVID researchers and hundreds of other victims worldwide. (Reuters)

(Production: Adrees Latif, Pavithra George)

BOC intercepts illegal shipment of waste from United States

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 22, 2020

The Bureau of Customs (BOC) on Wednesday (October 21)  intercepted an illegal shipment of potential waste materials exiting the Subic Bay International Terminal Corporation.

The two container vans arrived from the United States and were consigned to Bataan 2020 Incorporated. They were declared as American old corrugated cartons for repulping.

However, further examination by the BOC revealed that the containers were filled with prohibited waste materials which were illegally imported.

Authorities said the consignee and other individuals involved will face charges for violating Republic Act no. 10863 or the Customs Modernization and Tariff Act. AAC

Joint oil exploration with China won’t compromise Phl position on WPS — Malacañang

Marje Pelayo   •   October 20, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Duterte administration stands firm that the Philippines’ position will not be compromised should a joint oil exploration with China in the West Philippine Sea pushes through.

This is in relation to the country’s arbitral award on the disputed territory against China.

“First, this lifting of the moratorium is an exercise of our sovereign rights. In no way it weakens the arbitral decision, and our MOU to explore a joint development program or cooperation with China, in no way that it weakens or gives away our sovereign rights,” noted Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi.

Recently, President Rodrigo Duterte approved the recommendation of the Department of Energy (DOE) to lift the suspension and once again issue a resume to work notice for service contractors for oil exploration in the West Philippine Sea.

“Although sovereign rights are defined as exclusive rights, that exclusive rights may be shared to others. The decision to share it is part of the sovereign rights,” explained Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque. –MNP (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

BOC destroys P50-M worth of misdeclared cigarettes

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 8, 2020

Around P50 million worth of misdeclared cigarettes from China were destroyed by the Bureau of Customs (BOC)-Port of Cagayan de Oro last October 2.

The cigarettes came from different shipments that were declared as furniture and disposable cups. One of the shipments arrived last May 14 while the other shipment arrived last June 9 at Mindanao Container Terminal in Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental.

𝗕𝗢𝗖 – 𝗣𝗼𝗿𝘁 𝗼𝗳 𝗖𝗗𝗢 𝗗𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗼𝘆𝘀 𝗣𝗛𝗣 𝟱𝟬 𝗠𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝘁𝗵 𝗼𝗳 𝗖𝗶𝗴𝗮𝗿𝗲𝘁𝘁𝗲𝘀 𝗗𝗲𝗰𝗹𝗮𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝗮𝘀 𝗙𝘂𝗿𝗻𝗶𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗲𝘀, 𝗗𝗶𝘀𝗽𝗼𝘀𝗮𝗯𝗹𝗲 𝗖𝘂𝗽𝘀Fifty million…

Posted by Bureau of Customs PH on Tuesday, October 6, 2020

District Collector John Simon issued a Decree of Abandonment after the shipment failed to request for extension of lodgement of its goods.

“The shipment has been previously issued with an Alert Order. This was followed by a 100% physical examination which revealed the shipment actually containing cigarettes,” the BOC said in a statement. AAC

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.