Typhoon ‘Ursula’ leaves 47 dead, 9 still missing

Marje Pelayo   •   December 30, 2019   •   244

MANILA, Philippines – The death toll from Typhoon Ursula has climbed to 47 while 9 others remain missing.

Meanwhile, a total of 143 individuals were injured, according to authorities.

Based on the latest data gathered by the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), more than a million families (1.979M) were affected by the weather system.

Also, a total of 27, 263 families remain in evacuation centers.

Typhoon Ursula has left more than one billion pesos-worth of damage to agriculture and infrastructure.

Because of the extent of damage, 10 municipalities are now under a state of calamity, specifically the town of San Jose in Occidental Mindoro; Kalibo in Aklan; Libertad in Antique; Sigma in Capiz; Carles and Concepcion in Iloilo.

Also, under a state of calamity are the cities of Madridejos in Cebu; Borongan in Eastern Samar; Tacloban City in Leyte; and Daram in Samar.

Meanwhile, the government is currently working on providing the needs of those affected by the typhoon. MNP (with details from Vincent Arboleda)

Novel coronavirus deaths spike to over 1,000 in China

Marje Pelayo   •   February 11, 2020

CHINA – The number of deaths from 2019 novel coronavirus has breached the 1,000 mark, according to the latest report from China Global Television Network (CGTN).

Earlier on Tuesday (February 11), Chinese health authorities reported an additional 108 deaths overnight, pushing the total number of fatalities in China to 1,016 while confirmed cases also spiked to 42,638.

Officials are expected to provide the exact count throughout the day.

Outside mainland China, there are more than 300 other confirmed cases with one confirmed death recorded in the Philippines and one in Hong Kong.

Over the weekend, 2019-nCoV surpassed the number of deaths by severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) which killed only 774 individuals during the 2003 outbreak that originated in southern China.

On Monday, Chinese President Xi Jinping visited treatment facilities for nCoV patients in Beijing.

The Chinese leader also spoke to medical workers in Wuhan City, the epicenter of the virus, via video conferencing.

China’s state television CCTV said Xi emphasized resolutely winning the fight against novel coronavirus which he dubbed as the “people’s war.”

Meanwhile in Wuhan City, authorities are combing communities to locate every confirmed or suspected patient and bring them under proper treatment.

TAGS   ,

China reports 3,887 new confirmed cases and 65 new deaths from nCoV

UNTV News   •   February 5, 2020

China’s health authorities Wednesday (February 3) said it received 3,887 new confirmed cases and 65 new deaths of pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).

Among the new confirmed cases and deaths, 3,156 and 65 are in central China’s Hubei Province, the epicenter of the viral pneumonia outbreak.

The National Health Commission said in its daily report that 431 (377 in Hubei) more patients were in critical conditions and 262 (125 in Hubei) discharged from hospitals after recovery on Tuesday.

The Commission said by 24:00 Tuesday (February 2), a total of 24,324 confirmed cases of the viral pneumonia had been reported, 3,219 people remained in critical conditions, 490 people had died of the disease, and 892 people had been discharged from hospital after recovery.

People suspected of getting infected with the virus increased by 3,971 (1,957 in Hubei) on Tuesday, bringing the total suspected cases to 23,260.

A total of 252,154 close contacts have been traced down, the commission said, adding that among them, 18,457 were discharged from medical observation on Tuesday, with 185,555 others still under medical observation.

By the end of Tuesday, 18 confirmed cases had been reported in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (one death), 10 in the Macao Special Administrative Region and 11 in the Taiwan region.

The death toll increased by 65 in just 24 hours, according to the National Health Commission.—Reuters

Novel coronavirus: Deaths at 170, confirmed cases at 7,736 in China

Marje Pelayo   •   January 30, 2020

CHINA – State-run China Global Television Network (CGTN) reported on Thursday (January 30) that the current number of deaths due to the novel coronavirus has climbed to 170 in China, an additional 132 fatalities from Wednesday (January 29).

Confirmed cases also rose to 7,736 from only 5,997 yesterday.

Suspected cases, meanwhile, has reached 12,167 from 9,239 yesterday.  

Outside mainland China, at least 95 confirmed cases have been reported, 72 from other countries with three nations confirmed person-to-person transmission.

ASIA

Outside Mainland China

  • Hong Kong – 10
  • Macau – 5
  • Taiwan – 8
  • Tibet Autonomous Region – 1

Cambodia (1)

Japan (7)

Malaysia (7)

Nepal (1)

Singapore (7)

South Korea (8)

Sri Lanka (1)

Thailand (14)

United Arab Emirate (1)

Vietnam (2)

Philippines (1)

EUROPE

France (4)

Germany (4)

Finland (1)

AMERICA

The United States (5)

Canada (3)

OCEANIA

Australia (5)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

(+632) 8920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+632) 8396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+632) 8 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.