Two Malaysian nationals held captive by Abu Sayyaf Group, freed

UNTV News   •   March 24, 2017   •   2737

ZAMBOANGA — The Philippine Marines has rescued two of the five Malaysian nationals abducted by the Abu Sayaff last year.

The AFP West Mindanao Command said the two hostages were rescued through the efforts of the combined elements of the Philippine Marines in Kalinggalang Caluang, Sulu at 2 a.m. on Thursday.

They were identified as Tayudin Anjut, 45 years old and Abdurahim Bin Sumas, 62 years old.

The two were part of a five-member crew of tugboat Serudung 3 which was abducted in Dent Haven, Tambisan, Lahad Datu, Sabah last July 19, 2016.

Three of their crew members are still being held captive by the bandit group.

AFP emphasized that no ransom was involved in the release of the Malaysian kidnap victims.

The victims will be turned over to Malaysian authorities in the following days. — Dante Amento | UNTV News & Rescue

P4.2M worth of smuggled cigarettes seized in Zamboanga

Marje Pelayo   •   November 8, 2019

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines — The Bureau of Customs (BOC) on Tuesday (November 5) seized P4.2 million worth of smuggled cigarettes at Urban Poor Drive, Tugbungan, Zamboanga City.

The items consisting of 143 master cases and 40 reams of Bravo Red Cigarettes from Malaysia, were discovered aboard a panel truck with temporary plate No. 090104.

The smuggled cigarettes and the truck were immediately turned over to the BOC for inventory and proper disposition.

Meanwhile, the suspects involved were turned over to Zamboanga Police Office Station 06 for investigation and for filing of possible charges.

District Collector Segundo Sigmundfreud Barte Jr. said in a statement that the agency’s intensified anti-smuggling operations under the marching orders of BOC Commissioner Rey Guerrero mainly contributed to the apprehension.

Barte said seizure of fake and smuggled products will protect the public from possible health risks these items pose.

P3.4-M worth of shabu seized in Zamboanga City buy-bust

UNTV News   •   November 4, 2019

Ten (10) sachets of suspected shabu and buy-bust money seized from the suspects

Joint operatives of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA), police and military seized P3.4 million worth of shabu and arrested two suspects in a buy-bust operation in Zamboanga City on Sunday (November 3).

Authorities identified the suspects as Alner Andao and Almigar Jimla of Barangay Ayala.

Seized from them were 10 sachets of suspected shabu weighing half a kilo; three cellphones; buy-bust money and the vehicle used in the transaction.

The PDEA said an informant alerted them of the suspects’ illegal activities which prompted the agency to immediately plan and execute said operation.

“Mayroon tayong confidential informant nagsumbong sa atin na mayroong pwedeng magbenta ng half kilo ng shabu. So dahil trabaho natin ito, eventually nag-assign tayo ng agent as undercover,” said PDEA agent, Jury Rocamora.

Andao and Jimla will be facing charges for violation of Republic Act 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002. — CAL (With reports from Dante Amento)


4 suspected Abu Sayyaf members arrested in Zamboanga City

Aileen Cerrudo   •   September 26, 2019

Four suspected members of Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) were arrested during the joint operation of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) in Zamboanga City on Thursday (September 26).

The arrested individuals were identified as Aljiver Habibula, Omar Julaspih, Rody Marail, and Nash Amik who are all from Sulu province and are currently residing at Barangay Baliwasan, Zamboanga City.

Recovered from the operation are ingredients for Improvised Explosive Device (IED).

According to the PNP, they have been monitoring the suspects for several days. They also clarified they have not received any threats of bombing in Zamboanga City.

“Batay sa briefing ng ating intelligence division ay wala naman talaga tayong threat tungkol diyan. Hindi rin natin masasabi kung ito ba ay may plano (attack) para sa ating fiesta pilar (Based on the briefing of our intelligence division, there are no threats. We also cannot say if they have a planned attack for our festival),” Police Regional Office 9 Spokesperson PMaj. Helen Galvez said.

However, according to AFP Western Mindanao Command Spokesperson Maj. Arvin John Encinas, they received a report last month about the ASG’s plan to bomb various areas in the country.

Encinas said this is a part of ASG’s retaliatory attack because their number continues to decrease.

“Maliit na lang iyan pero mayroon silang kakayahan to conduct IED attacks (They may be small but they still have the capacity to conduct IED attacks),” he warned.

Due to this, he reminded the public to immediately report to the authorities any suspicious individuals in their area.

They can contact the PRO-9 office at 0917 506 2000.—AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

(+632) 8920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+632) 8396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+632) 8 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.