Trillanes camp confident Makati court will junk DOJ’s bid for his arrest
admin • September 28, 2018 • 3073
Senator Antonio Trillanes
PASAY CITY, Philippines — The camp of Senator Antonio Trillanes IV trusts that Judge Andres Soriano of Makati Regional Trial Court Branch 148 will not grant the motion filed by the Department of Justice (DOJ) requesting the court to issue a warrant of arrest against the senator for his non-bailable case of coup d’etat.
“We remain confident that he will do the right thing and the right thing is very obvious here which is to deny the motion of the Department of Justice for the issuance of a warrant of arrest,” said former Solicitor General Florin Hilbay who was tapped to dispute the nullification of the amnesty granted to Trillanes by former President Benigno Aquino III in November 2010.
The voiding of the amnesty through Proclamation No. 572 effectively revives the rebellion and coup cases against the senator.
Judge Soriano, who is handling Trillanes’ coup d’etat case, had previously deferred the latter’s immediate arrest.
Meanwhile, despite their confidence, Hilbay said they are watching closely how things will unfold in the succeeding days.
Trillanes is currently staying inside his office at the Senate as advised by his legal counsels who believe that it is the safest place for him to be in at the moment.
“This is quite outrageous that you have a senator of the public hiding in the office simply because the president has decided to have him arrested even without a warrant and has placed upon the judges the burden of having to validate a patently unconstitutional order,” Hilbay said.
He also advised the embattled senator not to lose hope and to remain calm amid the challenges against him. — Asher Cadapan Jr.
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine National Police-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) has filed a kidnapping with serious illegal detention charges against former Senator Antonio Trillanes IV and three others before the Department of Justice (DOJ).
Based on a copy of a complaint filed August 15, the complaint stemmed from the affidavit of Guillermina Lalic Barrido, a 43-year old businesswoman from Davao City.
Barrido claimed she was detained for nearly two weeks in two convents in Makati and Quezon City in December 2016, and forced to sign a document linking President Rodrigo Duterte to corruption and illegal drugs.
In 2017, Barrido accused Trillanes of trying to bribe her to make derogatory statements against Duterte.
The PNP-CIDG said in its complaint that “It is clear from the foregoing that herein respondents feloniously, maliciously and intentionally put the complainant under detention for 14 days in order to force her to do something against her will.”
Aside from Trillanes, also named as respondents to the complaint were lawyer Jude Sabio, a certain Sister Ling, and priest Albert Alejo.
It can be recalled that Sabio was the one who filed a communication with the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Duterte campaign against illegal drugs.
In a statement, Trillanes denied Barrido’s allegation, insisting that he does not know the complainant.
“Never ko na-meet ‘yan si Guillerma Arcillas or Barrido. San ka makakita na pari at madre daw ang kasama ko sa pagkidnap at sa kumbento pa daw sya dinetain?” he said.
“Bukod pa dyan, 2016 pa raw sya kinidnap pero ngayon lang nag-file ng kaso,” he added.
Trillanes, a staunch critic of the Duterte administration, said that based on the information he received, Barrido allegedly volunteered to testify against Duterte in exchange for money.
“Ang impormasyon ko d’yan ay isa siyang nagboluntaryong mag-testigo laban daw kay Duterte pero butas-butas ang kwento at nanghihingi diumano ng pera kapalit ng kanyang salaysay kaya hindi tinanggap bilang testigo. Tapos ng hindi nabigyan ng pera, bumaliktad,” he said.
The former lawmaker also called the kidnapping charge against him as “clear harassment” and “persecution” against the administration’s critics.
Sabio, Alejo and “Sister Ling” have yet to issue any statement on the issue as of posting. RRD (with details from Correspondent April Cenedoza)
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte’s appeal for the military and police not to stage a coup d’etat during his term was just a random remark, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said on Wednesday (July 3).
“That was a random remark on the part of the President and Commander-in-Chief, in so far as the AFP is concerned,” AFP spokesperson, Marine Brigadier General Edgard Arevalo said in a message sent to reporters.
In a speech at the 72nd Founding anniversary of the Philippine Air Force in Pasay City, Duterte said that staging a coup is not necessary as he is willing to step down from office is asked to.
He added that Soldiers and policemen who no longer find him deserving to lead the country could simply call and talk to him over a cup of coffee.
“Do not do it please during my term. I told you before all you have to do kung ayaw ninyo ako, do not bring your weapons and mechanized armors there. Just call me and we’ll have coffee and I am ready to say, “It’s yours for the taking,” Duterte said on Tuesday.
According to Arevalo, there is nothing new in the chief executive’s comment on coup d’etat as he already mentioned it when he first met with the AFP and the Philippine National Police upon assumption of office.
“As early as the first joint AFP-PNP Command Conference that he presided upon his assumption of office and in several other instances after that, he has conveyed that same message to the security forces,” Arevalo said.
“He says, in essence, forget about mounting a military take-over that would lead to violence, death, and destruction. If anyone among the military (or the police) thinks he or she can better run the country, just tell him (the president) and he will step down,” he added.
Arevalo further said the AFP, led by its chief, General Benjamin Madrigal Jr., is an institution comprised of professional and matured servicemen and women who are patriots and loyal to the constitution and the duly constituted authorities.
“We have learned our lessons from the past and we shall live by it,” he said.
Arevalo also added that the reforms implemented in the AFP, including its modernization the increase in pay, allowances, and benefits like housing, have helped them best perform the mandate.
“We were given more than what we can ask for from a president and commander-in-chief who has shown genuine care and concern to his soldiers, airmen, sailors, and marines,” he said.
Arevalo also assured that the military will always remain loyal to the Flag, the Constitution and the Filipino people.
“we have, time and again assured him, as we reassure him today, that we in the AFP shall constantly and will remain loyal to the flag, to the constitution, and to the Filipino people whom we swore to protect with our lives,” he said. (with details from Lea Ylagan and Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – Six senators of the 17th Congress are soon to leave the Senate.
Senators Francis Escudero, Gringo Honasan, Loren Legarda and Antonio Trillanes IV have until June 30 to serve their last term.
Senators Bam Aquino and Joseph Victor Ejercito, meanwhile, needed to leave following their defeat in the 2019 midterm polls.
Escudero may be leaving the Senate but he remains in public office after winning as governor of Sorsogon.
Legarda, likewise, is shifting to local governance after being proclaimed as the new representative of Antique.
For his part, Honasan said he is still hoping for President Rodrigo Duterte’s appointment of him as head of the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT).
“It’s up in the air. That will be decided after June 30 by the appointing authority,” Honasan said.
Meanwhile, Senators Aquino and Ejercito said that their next plan to enjoy their private lives with their respective families.
“Ngayon ang ating destiny ay maiba hindi man magpatuloy dito. I guess na mahalaga right now just to take steps back. Spend more time with your kids and try to determine how to help the country in other ways,” Aquino said.
“Maraming paraan para tumulong sa ating bayan,” he added.
“Tulungan ko muna ang wife ko sa mga businesses naming,” Ejercito said when asked about his plans following his exit from Senate.
He admitted, however, that he regretted the outcome of running against his brother Jinggoy Estrada.
“Ang regrets ko…ang pinakamabigat kong problema yung dalawa kaming magkapatid na tumakbo,” Ejercito said.
“Sana kinausap ko na lang. Nag-usap kami ng father ko, ng pamilya na nasabi ko na sana ang aking concern. Ilang beses ko sinabi na ito ang mangyayari na pwede kaming mahila lahat pababa. Exactly ito na nga ang nangyari,” he added.
Trillanes, meanwhile, said he is thinking of going back to school.
The controversial senator earlier said he will remain critical of the Duterte administration even outside of Senate. — Marje Pelayo(with reports from Nel Maribojoc)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.