Transport group files corruption complaints vs. LTFRB chair Delgra, board members
admin • January 6, 2017 • 4037
A transport group has filed a corruption complaint against LTFRB chairman Martin Delgra and the agency’s board members.
The Alliance of Concerned Transport Organization (ACTO) has filed before the Office of the Ombudsman complaints against Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB ) chairman Martin Delgra and the agency’s board members for allegedly violating the Anti-graft and Corrupt Practices Act, Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards and Administrative Code.
ACTO said the LTFRB has addressed none of the petition they filed.
These include their petition for a fare hike, extension of the validity period of franchises and several others.
It was in May and December of last year when ACTO filed a petition to increase by 50 cents the jeepney fare, but until now, there’s no response from the LTFRB.
“Zero. Dahil ayaw niya makipag-usap dahil naka-concentrate siya sa utos ng pangulo; naka concentrate siya sa pagtuturo ng ibang region na sakop niya na kung sino ang nangogotong. Napabayaan ‘yung serbisyo niya,” said ACTO President Efren de Luna.
(Zero. Because he doesn’t want to talk to us because he’s very concentrated to the order of the president. He’s very concentrated on accusing other regions of extortion, while he was neglecting his job.)
De Luna said the agency’s negligence to respond to their petition for a long time can be considered an act of graft and corruption.
He added that Delgra is too focused on addressing corruption at the expense of his other duties at the agency. — Mon Jocson | UNTV News & Rescue
The Office of the Ombudsman is currently investigating 119 Bureau of Customs (BOC) employees due to various anomalies.
These employees are currently in floating status, according to BOC Commissioner Leonardo Guerrero.
“Ang instruction kasi ni President(The instruction of the president) is for them not to hold any position or office. So in the meantime, we have to account for them and the only way to account for them is to make sure we implement organizational mechanism that would make sure that they report daily for us to be able to know where they are in case they will be summoned for investigation,” he said.
Twenty-seven BOC employees were given a show cause order for their alleged involvement in corruption while the Office of the Ombudsman ordered the dismissal of seven BOC executives.
Ombudsman Samuel Martires approved the dismissal of deputy collector for operations of the Manila International Container Port (MICP) Ramon Hernandez; Customs Operations Officer Lomonto Macabando; Customs Officers III Vanzandt Remonde and Vicente Gamboa; Customs Special Police assistant chief Jaybee Raul Cometa; BOC-Zamboanga Special Agent Oscar Farin and Customs security guard Renly Tiñana.
The administrative offenses committed by the officials include grave misconduct and gross neglect of duty.
One employee, meanwhile, was suspended due to gross insubordination.
Guerrero also admits the ‘Tara System’ in BOC still exists. He also said he still receives offers from various individuals.
“Ilang beses ko pa ba sasabihin na ako hindi ako tumatanggap, hindi ako tatanggap at never akong tumanggap (How many times do I have to tell you, I do not accept [bribes], have not accepted [bribes], and will never accept [bribes]),” he said.—AAC (with reports from Aiko Miguel)
MANILA, Philippines – A local court has temporarily stopped the implementation of the highly-contested proposal to ban provincial buses from plying Epifanio delos Santos (Edsa).
In an order dated July 31 and released on August 2, the Quezon City Regional Trial Court Branch 223 has granted the writ of preliminary injunction filed by 18 transport groups against the scheme.
The QC court said it found “just cause” to stop the ban and schedule the case for hearings.
The court said it needs to hear the side of the defendants of the case – the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) and the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) considering that “the matter on hand greatly impacts the welfare of the public.”
The proposed policy of the MMDA and the LTFRB prohibits provincial buses from traversing Edsa to decongest traffic. It also seeks to revoke business permits and shut down the operation of all provincial bus terminals located along Edsa.
A dry run for the policy is supposed to begin on August 7.
The court notes in its order that these measures would have “far-reaching effects” to the businesses, employees and other contracts of provincial bus companies. It added that the shortened routes would also affect the salary of employees.
“While as a rule, the right to income or earning does not prevail over public welfare, in the instant case since the Court has as yet not been presented with a clear basis or sufficient justification for the issuances, there is no reason to consider these issuances to have priority over the Plaintiffs’ rights as well as those that would suffer from their implementation,” the order read.
The court also asked the MMDA and the LTFRB on why point-to-point (P2P) buses are given privilege of plying Edsa even if their sizes were similar to those of regular buses.
It further said that since the said agencies failed to file a response, “no explanation or study has been presented to this Court to aid the latter in determining whether the provincial buses are indeed the cause of ‘horrendous traffic’ and if their ban and closure of their terminals is the best solution.”
“In view of the absence of any evidence on behalf of the Public Defendants, the evidence provided so far by the Plaintiffs tend to show that indeed, there was abuse in the issuance of the subject LTFRB MC and MMDA Regulation,” the order read.
The court gave the Office of the Solicitor General (OSG), which represents the MMDA and the LTFRB, until August 14 to file a response to the case.
MANILA, Philippines – The Anti-Red Tape Authority (ARTA) on Wednesday asked the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) to explain alleged irregularities in its policies for the application of permit for transport network vehicle service (TNVS).
In its show-cause order, the ARTA directed LTFRB Chairman Martin Delgra to explain within three days the purported delays in the processing of permits and other irregularities as complained by TNVS applicants.
Based on its order, the anti-red tape agency said that among the other irregularities “identified and determined” to have been committed by the LTFRB was its failure to enforce Memorandum Circular No. 2018-005; failure to conduct hearings and render decisions for an unreasonable length of time on applications for certificate of public convenience to operate TNVS; and implementing abrupt changes in the requirements and procedures for TNVS application without due notice to the public.
The ARTA said failure to explain the aforementioned issues could be tantamount to defying President Rodrigo Duterte’s order to stop red tape in the government.
In a message to reporters, Delgra confirmed he has received the notice and assured to submit an explanation addressing the allegations within the deadline.
ARTA’s order came after groups of TNVS driver and operators went offline earlier this month in protest of LTFRB’s alleged inconsistencies in its policies in terms of TNVS application and registration. (with details from Joan Nano)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.