Tourism dept. issues show-cause order to Makati hotel after Dacera killing

Robie de Guzman   •   January 5, 2021   •   1535

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Tourism (DOT) on Tuesday asked the City Garden Grand Hotel in Makati to explain why its government accreditation should not be suspended or revoked for possible violations for continuing to accept guests for leisure purposes when it is being used as a quarantine facility.

In a letter dated January 5, 2021, the DOT directed the hotel management to explain why it is still taking guests when government regulations state that an establishment being used as a quarantine or isolation facility are not allowed to provide accommodation for leisure purposes.

The hotel is the same establishment where flight attendant Christine Angelica Dacera was found dead.

“It has come to the attention of the DOT that the demise of a Philippine Airlines flight attendant occurred during a party held in your establishment on December 31, 2020. We understand based on reports that several individuals have checked-in or spend the evening in one of your rooms on the said date,” the letter read.

The hotel must submit its written explanation within three days, the department said.

Dacera was found in a bathtub in the hotel on January 1 after attending a private party, along with 11 male companions, in one of the hotel’s rooms.

She was rushed to a hospital but was declared dead on arrival due to a ruptured aortic aneurysm.

Authorities believe the flight attendant was sexually assaulted based on initial investigation. The results of Dacera’s autopsy are expected to be released soon.

Three suspects have been arrested while the rest are still at large.

Shuttered resort in Caloocan City lacks DOT accreditation

Aileen Cerrudo   •   May 11, 2021

MANILA, Philippines—The Department of Tourism (DOT) has confirmed that the resort in Caloocan City found violating health and safety protocols was also found to be operating without DOT accreditation.

In a statement, the DOT reiterated that a DOT accreditation ensures that the establishment has complied with the minimum standards for the operation of tourism facilities and services amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.

The Tourism department commended Caloocan City Mayor Oscar Malapitan “for ordering the revocation of the establishment’s business permit and ordering the closure of the erring resort.”

“The DOT lauds the swift and resolute action taken by the city government of Caloocan against a resort found to be violating health and safety protocols set by the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF),” the statement reads.

The department also reminds the public to engage in responsible tourism by observing the health and safety protocols.

Meanwhile, the Caloocan City government has already filed a complaint against Barangay 171 Chairman Romeo Rivera on Tuesday (May 11) at the Sangguniang Panlungsod of the City of Caloocan. AAC

 

DOT welcomes IATF’s decision to approve construction of walk-in, drive-through vaccination site

Aileen Cerrudo   •   April 12, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Tourism (DOT) has welcomed the decision of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) to approve the construction of walk-in and drive-through vaccination site at the Nayong Pilipino in Parañaque City.

The DOT said the IATF has mandated the National Task Force against COVID-19 (NTF) to enter into an agreement with the Nayong Filipino Foundation (NPF) for this purpose.

“The National Task Force against COVID-19, which was duly authorized by the IATF, shall enter into an agreement with the Nayong Pilipino Foundation, whose board had already given its preliminary approval of the project, to ensure its immediate execution,” the department said in a statement.

The facility, according to the tourism department, will be a public-private partnership, is expected to vaccinate at least 12,000 people a day. AAC

Over 67,000 displaced tourism workers in NCR Plus receive P5,000 cash aid

Marje Pelayo   •   April 12, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — A total of 67,347 tourism workers displaced by the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic in the National Capital Region (NCR) Plus area will receive P5,000 cash assistance from the Department of Tourism (DOT) and the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).

In a statement released by the DOT, Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat and Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III agreed to provide cash assistance to the said sector workers in Metro Manila, Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna, and Rizal.

Of the said number, 6,817 beneficiaries are in Bulacan, 8,422 in Cavite, 14,161 in Laguna, 10,582 in Rizal, and 27,365 in the NCR.

The total disbursements amount to over P336.7 million as of April 6.

In today’s online awarding of certificates, around P41.2 million pesos were given to 8,251 recognized beneficiaries of the DOT-DOLE cash assistance program, broken down as follow:

NCR – 2,199
Bulacan – 901
Cavite – 924
Laguna – 2,490
Rizal – 1,737

“We are hopeful that this financial assistance will provide some relief to our most affected stakeholders and tourism workers during these difficult times. While it may help in the short term, we believe that the best way to help stakeholders, in the long run, is to develop a tourism industry that is stronger, more resilient, and more adaptable to change,” Puyat said in her opening remarks.

DOLE Secretary Bello added that the labor department will continuously provide assistance to the tourism workers despite the increasing odds brought by the pandemic.

“Rest assured that DOLE will always give its full support to our workers in need. In the coming months, as we start to put our economy on its track, we hope that our tourism stakeholders will get back on their feet, stronger than before,” he said.

Issued in February, the DOT-DOLE Joint Memorandum Circular (JMC) No. 2021-001 (Amended Implementing Guidelines on Providing Financial Assistance and Cash-For-Work Program for Displaced Workers in the Tourism Sector) expanded its coverage of beneficiaries including Local Government-Licensed Tourism Support Service (TSS) enterprises, providers and associations of providers.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.