Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Third suspect in foiled Manila bombing, arrested

by admin   |   Posted on Wednesday, December 7th, 2016

Third suspect of the foiled bombing near U.S. Embassy in Manila.

Third suspect of the foiled bombing near U.S. Embassy in Manila.

 

(UPDATE) — The third suspect in the foiled bombing along Roxas Boulevard is now under the custody of the Philippine National Police following his arrest on December 3 in Bulacan.

National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) chief P/Dir. Oscar Albayalde identified the suspect as Mohammad Jumao-as alias ‘Modie’, an x-ray technician living in Sta. Ana, Bulacan.

The suspect hid after his two companions had been arrested. Jumao-as resurfaced after assuming that the police had already stopped searching for him.

Authorities immediately filed charges against Jumao-as after finding in his possession a calibre .45 gun, and a hand grenade.

“He was already charge of illegal possession of firearms and illegal possession of explosives,” Albayalde said.

Albayalde said, a CCTV footage showed Jumao-as as among those who left the improvised explosive device (IED) at Luneta, the first area targetted by the group.

“The three were here on that Sunday night while conducting surveillance where they can leave the IED. In this series of footages, you can see that they are walking on the vicinity of Luneta where they want to leave the IED. They started to walk separately until they proceeded to Baywalk along Roxas Blvd,” said Albayalde.

Authorities are still searching for two other suspects who are also members of the Ansar Al Khalifah.

Despite this, the NCRPO assured the public of a safe holiday season, further noting that their men are on alert to guard areas in Metro Manila. — UNTV News & Rescue

 

Tags: , , , , , , ,

US Embassy in PH assures continued visa processing services

by Robie de Guzman   |   Posted on Tuesday, June 11th, 2019

The United States (US) Embassy in the Philippines on Tuesday (June 11) assured that all visa processing services at the embassy will continue despite the closure of the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) field office in Manila starting next month.

“There will be no change in visa processing at the U.S. Embassy in the Philippines. Immigrant and non-immigrant visas will continue to be processed at the Embassy,” the U.S. Embassy said in a post on Facebook.

Thanks for your questions about the upcoming closure of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Manila…

Posted by U.S. Embassy in the Philippines on Monday, 10 June 2019

The U.S. Embassy also assured there would be no change in services previously offered by the USCIS field office in Manila. Its offices, including the Consular Section, will also remain open.

“The U.S. Embassy in the Philippines, including its Consular Section, remains open. For more information on services offered by the U.S. Embassy, visit: ph.usembassy.gov,” it said.

“The U.S. Embassy in the Philippines will assume responsibility for certain limited services previously provided by the Manila USCIS field office. All other services will be transitioned to electronic processing or performer domestically in the United States,” it added.

The I-130 petition can be filed by mail with the USCIS lockbox facility in Chicago, Illinois. It also provided new instructions for individuals who were previously assisted by the office.

The U.S. Embassy earlier announced that the USCIS will close its Manila field office due to insufficient workload. It stopped accepting petitions for family visa, foreign adoptions and citizenship last May 31.

Tags: , , ,

Police recover NPA’s anti-tank IED in Surigao del Sur

by admin   |   Posted on Tuesday, February 5th, 2019

A tip from a rebel returnee led the Philippine National Police (PNP) to uncover an anti-tank improvised explosive device (IED) buried by the rebel group, New People’s Army (NPA) along National Highway in Barangay Amontay, Marihatag, Surigao del Sur.

Personnel of the Department of Public Works and Highway (DPWH) and PNP Caraga began excavating on January 28 and were able to extract the 8-inch wide and one foot long bomb on Friday (February 1).

PRO-13 Spokesperson Police Superintendent Christian Rafols II said that the bomb has been buried for nine long years inside the lair of communist rebels for tactical operation against the military and police.

“Tapos ang plano nila kasi ang tapat noon sa pinaglagyan ay bundok. Doon naka-standby ang kanilang tropa kasi kung sino yung daw yung hindi mapapatay sa bomba ay ang papatay naman ay yung mga mag a-ambush. So yun ang plano nila,” said the spokesperson.

The bomb’s impact is estimated to cause heavy damage since it is buried underground.

“Ang bomba kung i-cocontain mo siya, mas grabe ang impact kasi ang pinaka shrapnel niya yung mga semento. Magliliparan yan sa mga tao, yun na ang tatama sa mga tao, at mag-cause damage. Mas mabuti na nakuha natin doon kasi magagamit pa nila yun kung gusto nilang gamitin,” said Rafols.

This is the second time since January 1 that PNP Caraga has recovered an IED.

The first one was found inside the backpack of a slain NPA fighter after an encounter in San Agustin, Surigao del Sur last month.

The PNP said the NPA may ride on the bombings in Jolo Sulu and other areas to sow fear among the Caraganons.

PNP Caraga is on heightened alert and has added police visibility in crowded areas. — Raymond Octobre | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , ,

Countries offered help to quell terrorism in Mindanao – Palace

by Marje Pelayo   |   Posted on Friday, February 1st, 2019

The scene outside the Cathedral of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Jolo, Sulu after twin explosions ripped through it on January 27, 2019. | Courtesy of
WestMinCom

MANILA, Philippines — Days after the deadly blasts that occurred at a church in Jolo, Sulu and a mosque in Zamboanga City, other nations have offered to help the Philippine government quell the growing terrorism network in the Mindanao region.

Among those that offered assistance are the United Kingdom, Canada, the United States of America, China, and Russia.

The offer came after President Rodrigo Duterte declared an all-out war against the terrorist Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) and other enemies of the state.

According to Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo, the government welcomes the assistance offered by the international community.

“There’s no need for any asking for help, because they are already offering them, those support…weapons for instance, intelligence. So kung yun ang ibibigay sa atin, we will welcome it,” said Panelo.

Malacañang is also confident that the recent bombings in parts of Mindanao will not scare residents from casting their votes in the second plebiscite for the ratification of the Bangsamoro Organic Law (BOL).

The second BOL plebiscite had been scheduled for February 6 in some parts of Lanao del Norte and North Cotabato.

The first voting was held last January 21 in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM), Isabela City, Basilan and Cotabato City.

“They’re saying na dahil nagkaroon ng pambobomba. Takot na takot ang mga tao. Hindi ba sabi nila, they’re going with their normal activity. They’re just alert now, vigilant and cautious. But they will vote,” Panelo concluded. – Rosalie Coz

Tags: ,