Taiwan gov’t lauds PH Court ruling in Balintang shooting incident
Marje Pelayo • September 19, 2019 • 294
TAIWAN – The Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wednesday (September 18) lauded the Manila Regional Trial Court’s ruling on eight personnel of the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) in the May 2013 Balintang Channel shooting incident.
A Taiwanese fisherman named Hung Tzu-chien was killed in the incident.
In a statement, MOFA said both countries have worked closely to resolve the matter six years after.
However, the eight men can still appeal the ruling thus MOFA and Taiwan’s representative office in the Philippines said they will closely monitor future developments on the matter.
The court ruled that the convicted men were guilty of homicide and sentenced them 8 to 14 years in jail.
The court also ordered them to “jointly” pay P50,000 in civil indemnity and another P50,000 in moral damages to the heirs of the victim.
In a statement, the Philippine’s representative office in Taiwan, the Manila Economic and Cultural Office (MECO), expressed regret over the matter.
“We hope that both parties would eventually overcome the emotional strain that this regretful incident brought about more than six years ago and that our peoples can move on towards strengthening our bonds of friendship,” MECO said in its statement.
MANILA, Philippines — Over 20,000 overseas Filipino workers (OFW) can finally breathe a sigh of relief after weeks of isolation in different quarantine facilities in Metro Manila since they arrived in the country.
This was after the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) confirmed that their tests yielded negative results for coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
Over 14,000 of them have been cleared and may now go home to see their families.
“Ang panuntunan ay pwede nang gamitin yung e-clearance para bumilis as agreed upon yesterday doon sa aming meeting. Pwedeng i-print at yung na yung gagamitin nila para makaalis na po doon sa kanilang mga hotel,” confirmed PCG Spokesperson Commodore Armand Balilo.
[They may now get an e-clearance to make it expedite the process as agreed upon our meeting yesterday. They may print a copy and present it to the hotel so they can leave.]
Balilo said the agency targets to process their clearances as soon as possible so they can finally travel home.
Meanwhile, the official said that about 8,000 others are still waiting for their test results.
Balilo also confirmed that from all of the overseas Filipinos who arrived in the country so far, over 500 tested positive for COVID-19 and are currently being treated in government medical facilities.
The list of names of OFWs with negative COVID-19 results may be viewed through PCG’s social media account.
On Thursday (May 21), 41 seafarers whose jobs abroad were affected by the pandemic, finally boarded the service vessel which will bring them home to Visayas and Mindanao.
Despite the circumstances, the seafarers said they are just looking on the brighter side of the situation.
They are still thankful that they may now spend more time with their family.
“Makakasama (ko na ang mga) bata. Take this opportunity na i-enjoy ang mga bata at ang pamilya, [I can now be with my children. Take this opportunity to enjoy time with the kids and family,” said Terresa Peres.
“Sa bahay lang siguro kasi pagdating namin sa Bohol another 14 days na naman na quarantine, [I might stay at home because upon arrival in Bohol I will need another 14 days in quarantine],” added Alfonzo Baleleng.
“Maraming salamat po sa mga sumuporta, sa nag-a-asikaso po sa amin, at sa agency po namin, lalo na sa government po natin na sinisikap po nila na mapauwi tayo lahat dito [I thank everyone for the support, to those who attended to our needs, to our agency and especially to our government for exerting efforts to bring us home],” expressed Vergintino Cagata. MNP (with reports from Rey Pelayo)
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) on Thursday reported that hundreds of passengers are currently stranded at various ports in Bicol due to the onslaught of Typhoon Ambo.
The PCG said that as of 12 p.m. on May 14, a total of 293 cargo drivers and helpers are stranded in ports after the typhoon forced the suspension of sea trips.
The operation of 133 rolling cargoes and five cargo vessels are also temporarily suspended, while 17 vessels and two motorbancas are taking shelter in the region.
The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) reported that Typhoon ‘Ambo’ has made a landfall in San Policarpio, Eastern Samar at around 12:15 p.m.
The state weather bureau said the typhoon is expected to bring heavy to torrential rains and violent winds over parts of Samar, and northern and eastern Samar.
Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal (TCWS) No. 3 has been raised in the following areas in Bicol and Visayas areas:
The northern portion of Eastern Samar (Jipapad, Arteche, Maslog, Dolores, Oras, San Policarpio, Canavid, Taft, Sulat, San Julian, Borongan City, Maydolon)
The northern portion of Samar (Calbayog City, Sta. Margarita, Gandara, Pagsanghan,San Jorge, Matuguinao, San Jose de Buan, Catbalogan, Jiabong, Motiong, Paranas, Tarangnan, San Sebastian, Hinabangan)
TCWS No. 2, meanwhile, was hoisted over:
Southern portion of Quezon (Pagbilao, Atimonan, Padre Burgos, Plaridel, Agdangan, Unisan, Gumaca, Pitogo, Macalelon, Lopez, Caluag, General Luna, Catanauan, Perez, Alabat, Quezon, Tagkawayan, Guinayangan, Buenavista, San Narciso, Mulanay, San Andres, San Francisco),
The rest of Samar
The rest of Eastern Samar
Those under Signal No. 1 are:
the southern portion of Nueva Ecija (General Mamerto Natividad, Palayan City, Cabanatuan, Santa Rosa, Jaen, San Isidro, San Antonio, Cabiao, Bongabon, Gabaldon, General Tinio, Laur, San Leonardo, Peñaranda, Gapan City)
The rest of Quezon
Northern portion of Leyte (Calubian, San Isidro, Tabango, Villaba, Leyte, Kananga, Capoocan, Carigara, Barugo, San Miguel, Babatngon, Tunga, Jaro, Alangalang, Sta. Fe, Tacloban City, Palo, Pastrana, Dagami, Tabontabon, Tanauan, Tolosa, Ormoc City, Matag-ob, Palompon, Merida, Isabel, Albuera, Burauen, Julita, Dulag)
PAGASA advised residents in affected areas to take appropriate measures as incidents of flooding and rain-induced landslides are possible during heavy or prolonged rainfall.
The PCG earlier announced the cancellation of cargo vessel and fishing boat operations due to the effects of Typhoon Ambo.
It also advised its Districts and Stations across the country to prepare their personnel and assets to respond on emergency situations and to coordinate with their respective Regional Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (RDRRMC) for possible rescue operations and other related activities.
“Maritime activities will resume when the weather condition becomes normal, as may be declared by PAGASA,” the PCG said.
MANILA, Philippines – More registered medical technologists are set to be deployed to assist in a one-stop shop and facilities catering to overseas Filipino workers undergoing quarantine against novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) said on Thursday.
In a statement, the PCG said 52 newly-hired registered medical technologists have taken their oath to serve the public on Thursday, April 30.
“Magandang Balita: Hindi lang 30, kundi 52 registered medical technologists ang nanumpa na maglilingkod sa bayan bilang bahagi ng Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) ngayong hapon, ika-30 ng Abril 2020,” the agency said.
The PCG earlier announced it was in need of 30 registered medical technologists to augment the capacity of the organization’s medical service workforce amid the COVID-19 crisis.
“Ang mga frontline medical workers na ito na may ranggong ‘probationary ensign’ ay agarang i-de-deploy sa One-Stop Shop sa NAIA Terminal 1 at 2, gayunrin sa quarantine ships at COVID-19 treatment facility sa Pier 15, Port Area, Manila,” the PCG said.
In an earlier advisory, the agency said the newly-recruited workers will be tasked to assist repatriated overseas Filipino workers (OFW) who will have to undergo the mandatory 14-day facility-based quarantine against coronavirus disease.
They will assist in taking COVID-19 rapid blood tests of returning OFWs upon arrival.
Coast Guard Commandant Admiral Joel Garcia called on the new PCG members to serve with all their heart and courage as the country needs their skills to help combat the COVID-19 threat.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.