SWS: Most Filipinos believe cops are involved in drugs, EJK, planting of evidence
by UNTV News | Posted on Thursday, 28 February 2019 12:36 PM
QUEZON CITY, Philippines — The Social Weather Stations survey (SWS) showed that 68 percent of Filipinos believe that the allegations against policemen accused of involvement in illegal drug trade, are true.
With regard to policemen who are being linked to extra-judicial killings, 66 percent of Filipinos believe the accusations to be true.
Meanwhile, 58 percent of Filipinos believe that policemen are also guilty of planting evidence against arrested suspects.
The survey was conducted from December 16-19, 2018 through face-to-face interviews of 1,440 adults, aged 18 years old and above, nationwide.
The Philippine National Police (PNP), has previously announced that they will intensify internal cleansing of their ranks to identify policemen involved in anomalous activities such as illegal drug trade. This was after two cops in Ormoc city were nabbed during a buy-bust operation.
“The arrest of these policemen proves that we are relentless in our internal cleansing campaign. We will not tolerate this kind of illegal activity as those arrested will face criminal and administrative charges,” Chief Supt. Ariel Arcinas, PNP Eastern Visayas deputy regional director, told reporters on February 21.
PNP Spokesperson P/SSupt. Bernard Banac reiterated that the PNP follows a proper process in fighting illegal drugs and respects human rights and the value of life.
“Katunayan nito, mayroon na tayong mga bilang nga mga PNP personnel na na-dismis na, nasibak na sa pagiging pulis nila. Naibahagi natin kanina, na yung mga uniformed personnel ay 69. Lahat po na yan ay natanggal na sa PNP at hindi natin gusto na sila ay manatili sa ating hanay. At yung pong mga napaulat noon na may na-involve na pulis natin sa pagpatay, well, yun po ay kinasuhan, inaresto, nakakulong ngayon,” Banac said.
(In fact, we have a number of PNP personnel who have been dismissed. We reported a number of 69 uniformed personnel, all of them were dismissed from PNP. We do not want them to remain in our ranks. Those policemen involved in killing have been charged and arrested. They are now detained.) — Aileen Cerrudo with reports from PNA
by UNTV News | Posted on Thursday, 21 March 2019 04:35 PM
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Thursday reported to have arrested more than 3,000 people for violating the election gun ban.
Data from the PNP showed that a total of 3,105 gun ban violators were apprehended from January 13, the start of the election period, to March 20, 2019. Arrested persons include 2,924 civilians, 57 security guards, 44 government officials, 32 cops, five soldiers, two Jail and Management Penology officials and seven other members of law enforcement agencies.
According to PNP Spokesperson Senior Supt. Bernard Banac, the policemen were arrested for carrying unlicensed personal firearms.
“They will face illegal possession of firearms for violating the law, their firearms license will also revoked,” Banac told reporters at a press briefing in Camp Crame.
Also arrested for violating the election gun ban were 23 members of threat groups, six from private armed groups, three foreign nationals and two CAFGU members.
The PNP also seized 2,603 firearms, 64 firearm replicas, 1,038 bladed and pointed weapons and 168 grenades. 356 other types of explosives and over 21,000 rounds of ammunition were also confiscated.
The election period in connection with the May midterm elections will last until June 12, 2019. During this time, only police and military on duty and in complete uniform are allowed to carry firearms.
Under election gun ban, permit to carry firearms outside of residence is cancelled and people are prohibited from bearing, carrying and transporting firearms, explosives and other deadly weapons if they have not secured exemptions from the Commission on Elections (Comelec)
The PNP also called on gun owners with expired licences to surrender their firearms to authorities.“We appeal to the responsible gun owners, if your license has expired, surrender your firearms to the nearest police station for temporary custody and safekeeping until you renew your expired license,” Banac urged. – Robie de Guzman (with details from Lea Ylagan)
by UNTV News | Posted on Wednesday, 13 March 2019 08:30 PM
The Fourth Quarter 2018 Social Weather Survey, conducted on December 16-19, 2018, showed that a big majority (76%) of adult Filipinos were satisfied with the general performance of the Duterte Administration.
Fifteen percent were neither satisfied nor dissatisfied, while 9% claimed dissatisfaction.
This result yielded a net satisfaction rating of +66, classified by the SWS as very good.
The survey company indicated that this is a 16-point increase from the +50 (65% satisfied, 15% dissatisfied) rating in September 2018.
Referred to by the SWS as the Duterte Administration’s Governance Report Card, the study showed that “of the 17 specific performance subjects rated, the Duterte Administration’s net satisfaction ratings were excellent on 2 subjects, very good on 6 subjects, good on 7 subjects, and moderate on 2 subjects.”
Results showed that the net satisfaction rating of the Duterte Administration was excellent on Promoting women’s rights (+71) and on Building and maintenance of public works (+70).
This result came at the height when several women’s groups had recently called President Rodrigo Duterte a misogynist.
The administration, on the other hand, was very good on helping the poor (+68), protecting human rights (+62), reconstructing Marawi City (+60), fighting terrorism (+55), transparency in government activities (+54), and deciding quickly (+50).
The government registered as “good” in fighting crimes (+44), reconciling with Muslim rebels (+43), eradicating graft and corruption (+42), defending Philippine sovereignty in the West Philippine Sea (+40), reconciling with communist rebels (+39), fulfilling commitments in international treaties (+39), and in foreign relations (+38).
The study, on the other hand, showed that Filipinos found the government’s performance a bit wanting on ensuring that no family will ever be hungry (+28) and on fighting inflation (+14). –Maris Federez
by UNTV News | Posted on Wednesday, 6 March 2019 03:26 PM
QUEZON CITY, Philippines — NCRPO Chief Police Dir. Guillermo Eleazar has fired 15 cops from the the Eastern Police District (EPD) over allegations of involvement in a robbery-extortion incident.
A complaint has been filed against PO2 Marlou Quibete, for allegedly extorting money from a drug suspect that his group arrested in a buy-bust operation in Marikina City, Monday night, March 4.
Quibete and his men were reported to have taken P60,000 cash and a necklace from the suspect and his live-in partner. The cops are also accused of forcing the two to sign a deed of sale for a motorcycle.
The said report prompted the authorities to conduct an entrapment operation against the group on Tuesday night that led to the arrest of Quibete.
The 15 cops will be facing administrative and robbery extortion charges together with EPD district director, Police Brigadier General Bernabe M. Balba, who is allegedly aware of the group’s fraudulent activity based on their exchange of text messages which has been forwarded to the NCRPO Chief. — Freema Salonga (with reports from Asher Cadapan Jr.)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.