Suspected Abu Sayyaf member nabbed in Quezon City

Robie de Guzman   •   September 15, 2021   •   312

MANILA, Philippines — The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Wednesday said it has arrested an Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) member in an operation conducted in Culiat, Quezon City last week.

NBI officer-in-charge, director Eric Distor identified the suspect as Albazir Abdulla alias Abu Saif.

The operatives of the NBI-Counter Terrorism Division (CTD) arrested Abdulla, who is facing kidnapping and serious illegal detention charges for his alleged involvement in the 2001 Golden Harvest Plantation kidnapping case.

The operation was launched after NBI sources reported sightings of Abdulla in Metro Manila. A victim-witness also identified him in a CTD photo line-up as one of the abductors and a member of the ASG.

A series of casing and surveillance operations was conducted by the NBI-CTD in coordination with counterparts from the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), to gather more information, which revealed the actual residence of Abdulla.

The arrested suspect was brought to NBI Detention Facility.

Distor said Abdulla is the second ASG member they arrested in Metro Manila this year. In May, operatives nabbed alleged ASG member Wahab Jamal alis Ustadz Halipa at Maharlika Village in Taguig.

The NBI said that the ASG group headed by their late leader Isnilon Hapilon and other senior ASG leaders raided the Golden Harvest Plantation in Brgy. Tairan, Lantawan, Basilan Province.

The terrorists seized the supplies from sari-sari stores and houses; livestock, firearms and ammunition from the plantation security. They also burned a chapel and detained 14 plantation workers, two of whom were beheaded by the terrorist group.

After four months of captivity, the victims were able to escape on separate occasions during the rescue operations by the government security forces.

After the incident, the ASG stayed in the mountains and some of its members assimilated back to society as “sleepers” or “spies,” the NBI said.

NTC, makikipag-ugnayan sa PNP at NBI para matunton ang nasa likod ng text scams

Robie de Guzman   •   November 23, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Makikipag-ugnayan ang National Telecommunications (NTC) sa pulisya at sa National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) para imbestigahan ang mga nasa likod ng text scams.

Ito ay kasunod na rin ng mga reklamo ng ilang mobile subscribers ukol sa natatanggap nilang mga text messages mula sa mga ‘di kilalang phone numbers na nag-aalok ng trabaho, o kaya ay pautang.

Ayon sa NTC, maraming paraan para makuha ang phone number ng isang indibiduwal na pinapadalhan ng spam texts.

Kabilang na dito ang listahan ng mga number na nagpapaload sa mga tindahan at sa contact tracing system ng mga establisimyento.

Pero giit ni NTC deputy commissioner Edgardo Cabarios, ipinagbabawal ang pagbibigay ng impormasyong ito sa ibang tao at paggamit rito para sa text scams.

“We can coordinate perhaps with NBI at police para surveillance, ano, ma-determine sino yung mga yan—grupo ba sila or individual, et cetera, et cetera,” ani Cabarios.

Payo ng NTC sa publiko, huwag magbigay ng personal na impormasyon kung makakatanggap ng mga ganitong mensahe.

Maaari namang i-block ng NTC ang phone number ng mga gumagawa ng ganitong aktibidad kung hihilingin ng mga magrereklamo.

Kung makakatanggap ng text scams, maaari itong ireport sa NTC Central Office Consumer Welfare and Protection Division sa mga numerong (+63) (02) 8920-4464; (+63) (02) 8926-7722; at (+63) (02) 8921-3251.

Maaari ding magpadala ng mensahe sa e-mail address ng NTC na consumer@ntc.gov.ph. (Mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Asher Cadapan Jr.)

PNP, NBI to jointly probe, prosecute law enforcers’ violations in drug war ops

Robie de Guzman   •   November 4, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP) and the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) have signed an agreement for cooperation in formal investigation of all police operations relating to the government’s campaign against illegal drugs.

The PNP said the memorandum of agreement (MOA) with the NBI was signed on Wednesday. PNP chief Police General Guillermo Eleazar and NBI officer-in-charge Eric Distor signed the agreement before the Department of Justice.

The four-page MOA serves as an authority for the two agencies “to build cases against PNP personnel who would be found violating the criminal laws in the conduct of operations against illegal drug personalities across the country.”

“The PNP and the NBI shall jointly evaluate the government’s anti-illegal drug operations, and, where necessary, determine possible criminal liability on the part of the police officers involved in these operations,” the MOA read.

“As state agencies, both parties seek to ascertain the truth regarding the allegations of human rights violations and possible criminal liability in the conduct of government’s anti-illegal drug operations,” it added.

The agreement emphasizes the commitment of the PNP and the NBI in supporting each other in terms of the following:

  • Sharing all documents, records and pieces of evidence relating to the police anti-drug operations;
  • Undertaking investigation, case build-up and the possible filing of criminal complaints against any police officer who would be found violating the laws.
  • Prepare a full and detailed report of all relevant findings and recommendations for submission to each counterpart head of agency
  • Designation of points of contact and representatives for ease of coordination

Under the Agreement, the PNP is expected to designate representatives from the Internal Affairs Service (IAS) and the Directorate for Investigation and Detective Management (DIDM) and the NBI to name representatives from its Office of the Assistant Director for Regional Operations Service, Office of the Assistant Director for Investigation Service, Office of the Assistant Director for Intelligence Service, and the Office of the Assistant Director for Forensic Service.

The designation of the representatives must be done within 15 days after the signing of the MOA, the PNP said.

Representatives from both the PNP and the NBI will form the PNP-NBI Joint Investigation Team. Their meeting is set at least once a month.

“The signing of this Agreement is proof of the PNP’s commitment to transparency and accountability and in order to finally settle the allegations of human rights abuses that have been hounding the government’s aggressive campaign against illegal drugs since July 2016,” Eleazar said in a statement.

“Through this Agreement, we will be able to ferret out the truth and correct the wrong impression that all our operations relating to illegal drugs campaign are tainted with human rights abuse. Napakalaki ng sakripisyo ng ating kapulisan sa kampanyang ito at marami din kaming kasamahan na nagbuwis ng buhay at nasugatan sa aming mga operasyon,” he added.

For his part, Distor assured impartiality in the conduct of the investigation.

“The NBI shares the goal of the PNP to put an end to the illegal drugs problem in the country. We have been coordinating and working together to address this problem through joint operations and information sharing,” he said.

“We assure impartiality in the conduct of investigation and we are confident that this would finally address the concerns on the manner by which the government’s illegal drug operations have been undertaken and to correct what needs to be corrected in the interest of truth and justice,” he added.

At least 52 cases involving 154 police officers will be prioritized by the PNP-NBI Joint Investigation Team. Those cases were already reviewed by the DOJ and were recommended for further investigation and case build-up.

The criminal cases that may be recommended by the Joint Investigation Team are separate from the administrative cases that would be pursued by the IAS, the PNP said.

TAGS   , , , ,

DOJ, handang ilabas ang resulta ng imbestigasyon sa 300 drug war cases

Maris Federez   •   October 21, 2021

 

MANILA, Philppines — Handa ang Department of Justice na ilabas ang resulta ng kanilang imbestigasyon sa 300 case files ng anti-illegal drug war ng pamahalaan.

Ayon kay DOJ Usec. Adrian Sugay, hinihintay na lamang nila ang direktiba ni Pangulong Rodrigo Duterte hinggil sa pagsasapubliko ng kanilang report na kasalukuyan nang nasa tanggapan ng pangulo.

“Sa ngayon pinauubaya na namin sa kanya kamukha rin ng nangyari rito. Ang information table naman na ito ay merong direktiba ang Office of the President na i-release na ito,” ani Sugay.

“So kumbaga kung magkaroon rin kami ng direktiba doon sa unang report ire-release din namin,” dagdag niya.

Ayon pa sa opisyal, sunod na pagtutuunan nilang rebisahin ang mga war on drug case files sa urban areas sa bansa dahil may anim na libo pang natitira na kailangang tingnan.

Binigyang diin din ni Sugay na maaaring gamitin ng International Criminal Court (ICC) ang drug war matrix na inilabas ng DOJ bilang bahagi ng kanilang ebidensya.

“Ngayon, gusto nilang makuha ‘tong table na to, tong matrix na ‘to, kung gusto nila gamitin, nasa kanila iyon. Nasa ICC na yun,” aniya.

“Sabi ko nga already part of open source information kasi isinapubliko na ito. So it’s available to anybody who may be minded to look into this and to use this kung ano mang purposes ang gusto nila,” dagdag nito.

Samantala, iginiit ng Malakanyang na ang ginawang pagsasapubliko ng DOJ ng impormasyon kaugnay ng pagrepaso nito sa mga kaso ng war on drugs ay katunayang ginagampanan ng estado ang obligasyon nitong imbestigahan ang mga police operations na kinakitaan ng paglabag sa batas.

Ayon pa kay Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque, patunay ito na hindi kinukunsinte ang mga tauhan ng pulisya na hindi gumaganap ng tama sa kanilang mga tungkulin.

Subalit ayon sa palasyo, hindi maisasapubliko ang resulta ng ginawang imbestigasyon ng DOJ sa tatlong daang kaso ng drug war killings dahil sa live criminal investigations na ito.

“On the contrary po no, ang decision ng DOJ proves na we are not soft kasi nga po kakasuhan yang 52. Yan po ang ibig sabihin nung sinabi ni Sec. (Menardo) Guevarra na nirefer nila for NBI for case building. Siyempre po kung kakasuhan, dapat matibay ang ebidensya,” ani Roque. —/mbmf (mula sa ulat ni UNTV Correspondent Dante Amento)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.