by UNTV News | Posted on Friday, January 6th, 2017
Workers in the sugarcane fields of Hacienda Luisita have been rescued from alleged maltreatment.
More than 50 ‘Sakadas’ or sugarcane workers are now at the Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR) after escaping from Hacienda Luisita.
Most of them were rescued in the last week of December 2016 while some just recently abandoned the area.
“Iba’t-ibang paraan ang ano nila, paano sila makaalis? Kaya po meron mga sinundo. Lumabas sila kasi, ayon sa kanila, kapag gabi naka-padlock,” sadi Danilo Ramos, Secretary General of Unyon ng mga Manggagawa sa Agrikultura.
(They tried various ways of escaping. That’s why we had to pick some of them up because they claim that the area is padlocked at night.)
They complained of not receiving the promised salary and other benefits such as the Social Security System.
They said that they’ve only received 9.46 pesos to 128.31 pesos for daily wage which is much lower than a farm worker’s minimum salary in Region 3 which is 334 pesos.
They also worked for 13 hours a day from 4 a.m. to 5 p.m.
There are around 800 of them at the Hacienda Luisita but now it went down to around 20 according to a rescued sakada.
Around 160 of them were recruited from Bukidnon while others were from Cotabato and Davao.
“Mag-i-isang linggo na walang dumarating sa amin na pagkain, tuloy doon sa tinatabasan namin ng tubo nanghuhuli nalang kami ng palaka para may makain kami doon sa hirap ng buhay namin doon,” narrated one of the rescued sakadas Roselito Bravo
(Our life there is difficult. There are no supply of food for almost a week so we are forced to catch frog for us to have something to eat.)
The labor violations had been reported to the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).
The sakadas are also planning to file a criminal case, particularly human trafficking, against the contractor Greenhand Labor Service Cooperative and also to the principal employer Agrikulto Inc. and Central Azucarera de Tarlac.
UNTV News is still waiting for the response of the Department of Labor and Employment regarding the issue. — Rey Pelayo | UNTV News & Rescue
Nearly 125,000 job openings await Filipinos in job fairs across the country on June 12 in celebration of the nation’s 120th Independence Day.
Over 60,000 jobs are being offered for local employment. Top job vacancies include production machine operators, construction workers, company drivers, service crews, customer service representatives, factory workers and sales agents.
There are 7,000 vacant positions for officers and enlisted personnel in the AFP, PNP, Philippine Navy and the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology.
Over 53,000 jobs overseas are open for service workers, nurses, engineers, labor workers, sales personnel, and carpenters.
Foreign countries with job openings include Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Malaysia, Japan, Oman and New Zealand.
DOLE assured that all participating companies in the jobs and business fair will not offer contractual jobs in line with the government’s directive to regularize all workers and end illegal contractualization in the country.
“We saw to it that nothing like that is included. All these employers are legitimate,” said DOLE Undersecretary Jing Paras. – Aiko Miguel | UNTV News & Rescue
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Tuesday, May 1st, 2018
Labor day job fair by The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE)
The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) kicks off today its job and business fairs in different parts of the country in line with the commemoration of the 116th year tribute to workers, May 1, Labor Day.
A total of 50 job fair sites across the country has begun scouting potential applicants for over 143,000 job opportunities in and out of the country.
Over 50,000 are local employment and about 85,000 are for overseas jobs.
Job business fairs will open until 4:00 p.m. today – UNTV News & Rescue
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Monday, April 30th, 2018
QUEZON CITY, Philippines – The Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR) announced on Monday, April 30, its plan to place under land reform all state-owned properties in Mindanao in line with the directive from President Rodrigo Duterte.
According to DAR Secretary John Castriciones, they will conduct a meeting with stakeholders in the region before the end of May to identify government properties feasible for distribution and eventually to name possible beneficiaries.
Meanwhile, President Duterte is expected to lead the awarding of land titles to beneficiaries in Mulanay, Quezon on May 2, Wednesday.
A total of 654 hectares of land will be distributed by the agency to 386 recognized beneficiaries. — Rey Pelayo | UNTV News & Rescue
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.