Status still unclear as Trump announces ease of trade ban vs Huawei
Aileen Cerrudo • July 5, 2019 • 1103
The status of Huawei in the United States market remains unclear after President Donald Trump announced plans to ease the trade ban against the Chinese company.
President Trump made the statement last week during the G20 Summit in Japan.
“We mentioned Huawei, I said we have to save that till the very end, we’ll have to see….One of the things I will allow however is, a lot of people are surprised, we send and we sell to Huawei a tremendous amount of product that go into the various things that they make, and I said that, that’s okay that we will keep selling those products,” he said.
However, despite the announcement, White House Economic Adviser Larry Kudlow said Huawei will remain blacklisted.
“Remember, Huawei remains on the enemy list, which is fundamentally a national security issue,” he said.
Meanwhile, trade talks between the US and China will continue next week to resolve a year-long trade war.—AAC (with reports from Mon Jocson)
MANILA, Philippines – The Duterte administration stands firm that the Philippines’ position will not be compromised should a joint oil exploration with China in the West Philippine Sea pushes through.
This is in relation to the country’s arbitral award on the disputed territory against China.
“First, this lifting of the moratorium is an exercise of our sovereign rights. In no way it weakens the arbitral decision, and our MOU to explore a joint development program or cooperation with China, in no way that it weakens or gives away our sovereign rights,” noted Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi.
Recently, President Rodrigo Duterte approved the recommendation of the Department of Energy (DOE) to lift the suspension and once again issue a resume to work notice for service contractors for oil exploration in the West Philippine Sea.
“Although sovereign rights are defined as exclusive rights, that exclusive rights may be shared to others. The decision to share it is part of the sovereign rights,” explained Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque. –MNP (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
Around P50 million worth of misdeclared cigarettes from China were destroyed by the Bureau of Customs (BOC)-Port of Cagayan de Oro last October 2.
The cigarettes came from different shipments that were declared as furniture and disposable cups. One of the shipments arrived last May 14 while the other shipment arrived last June 9 at Mindanao Container Terminal in Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental.
District Collector John Simon issued a Decree of Abandonment after the shipment failed to request for extension of lodgement of its goods.
“The shipment has been previously issued with an Alert Order. This was followed by a 100% physical examination which revealed the shipment actually containing cigarettes,” the BOC said in a statement. AAC
United States President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump have tested positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
Trump confirmed their health situation on his twitter account where he also announced they will immediately begin a quarantine and recovery process.
The president’s physician in a statement said the president and the first lady are both well at this time but did not confirm if the two are experiencing symptoms. He added that the first couple will remain in isolation at the White House. AAC
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.