South Korea urges resumption of U.S.-North Korea talks
UNTV News • February 24, 2020 • 341
South Korea’s foreign minister called on Monday (February 24) for a quick resumption of the stalled U.S.-North Korean nuclear talks, adding that her government stood ready to engage with Pyongyang to facilitate dialogue.
Kang Kyung-wha, addressing the U.N.-sponsored Conference on Disarmament, said: “A speedy resumption of the U.S.-DPRK negotiations is critical so that all stakeholders maintain and build upon the hard-won momentum for dialogue. We stand ready to engage with the North in a way that facilitates and accelerates the U.S.-DPRK dialogue.”
North Korea told the Geneva forum last month that as the United States had ignored its year-end deadline for nuclear talks, it no longer felt bound by commitments, which included a halt to its nuclear testing and the firing of inter-continental ballistic missiles.
MANILA, Philippines – The remaining shipment containing 6,000 metric tons of household hazardous waste was finally sent back to South Korea from the Port of Cagayan de Oro, the Bureau of Customs (BOC) said Wednesday.
In a statement, the BOC said the shipment, comprised of 80 containers and loaded on MV Mahia, was re-exported to its origin in Pyeongtaek City on August 4.
There-exportation of the wastes resumed on Tuesday after being halted for some time due to the restrictions imposed amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, it added.
The re-exportation of 251 containers of wastes from South Korea was initiated by the BOC in January but got delayed due to the pandemic, and the failure of the consignee to secure prior import permit from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR).
The bureau said that waste shipments arrived in the country in 2018 at the Port of Cagayan on two separate occasions. It was consigned to Verde Soko Philippines Industrial Corporation.
The shipments were both declared plastic synthetic flakes but an inspection conducted by the DENR-Environmental Management Bureau revealed that these contained household hazardous wastes.
The bureau ordered the immediate return of the shipments pursuant to Customs Modernization and Tariff Act, Toxic Substances and Hazardous and Nuclear Wastes Control Act, and the Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and their disposal.
MANILA, Philippines — The Embassy of the Republic of Korea in the Philippines announced that its government will be requiring all passengers departing from the Philippines bound for South Korea to present a valid coronavirus disease (COVID-19) negative PCR test certificate at the Incheon International Airport upon arrival effective July 20.
The new policy covers all arriving foreign travellers including transfer passengers except for South Korea passport holders.
According to its advisory, the PCR test must be issued within 48-hours prior to departure and must be taken from any of the accredited hospitals designated by the South Korean Embassy in the Philippines.
Passengers without the certificate will not be allowed to check-in for the flight.
The measure came after reports that there have been many cases in which COVID-19 has been confirmed among those who entered South Korea on board a flight from the Philippines.
The Embassy said the negative COVID-19 PCR test result must be shown at the time of check-in at the airport in Manila and upon the time of arrival at the quarantine authority in South Korea.
“The above measures are not related to visa issuance, so even though you have already received a visa, you have to take an additional COVID-19 PCR Test before your flight,” the advisory read.
Please refer to the list below for testing centers accredited by the South Korean Embassy:
One of South Korea’s most prominent elected officials, the longtime mayor of its capital, was found dead, police said on Friday (July 10), after he was reported missing by his daughter amid a criminal probe of alleged impropriety.
After a search involving hundreds of police, Mayor Park Won-soon’s body was found at Mt Bugak in northern Seoul around midnight, near where his phone signal had last been detected, the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency said.
It did not give a cause of death. There was no sign of foul play although a detailed investigation would be needed, police official Choi Ik-soo told reporters at a televised briefing at the scene.
The Yonhap news agency said a former secretary of Park had filed a complaint on Wednesday over alleged incidents of sexual harassment.
Choi said an investigation was under way after a criminal complaint had been lodged against Park, without elaborating.
Park’s daughter reported him missing at 5:17 p.m. (0817 GMT) and said his phone was off and that he had left a message “like a will,” Yonhap reported. (Reuters)
(Production: Kim Hong-Ji, Hyunyoung Yi, Minwoo Park)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.