Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

SONA 2018: Action items in Duterte’s 2nd SONA

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Monday, July 23rd, 2018

FILE PHOTO: President Rodrigo Duterte delivers his second state of the nation address (SONA) on July 24, 2017.

On July 24, 2017, President Rodrigo Duterte delivered his second State of the Nation Address (SONA). We noted some of the action items and what the administration has accomplished so far.

“Unrelenting” war on drugs
In his second SONA, President Duterte said that his campaign against illegal drugs will continue and will be “unrelenting.”

“I have resolved that no matter how long it takes, the fight against illegal drugs will continue because that is the root cause of so much evil and so much suffering  that weakens the social fabric and deters foreign investments from pouring in. The fight will be unremitting as it will be unrelenting.”

Land Use Act
President Duterte appealed to the lawmakers for the passage of the Land Use Act which aims to institutionalize mechanisms to evaluate land use to ensure sustainable use of land.

“I am appealing to all our legislators to immediately pass the National Land Use Act or NALUA [applause] to ensure the rational and sustainable use of our land and our physical resources, given the competing needs of food security, housing, businesses and environmental conservation.”

An agency to focus on disaster response
President Duterte called on the legislators to craft a law that would establish a department for disaster resiliency and response.

“I am calling [on] both houses of Congress to expeditiously craft a law establishing a new authority or department that is responsive to the prevailing 21st century conditions and empowered to best deliver [an] enhanced disaster resiliency and quick disaster response.”

Passage of Death Penalty bill
The President called on Congress to pass the reimposition of death penalty on drug-related offenses and join him in a “fight against illegal drugs and all forms of criminality.”

“I therefore ask Congress to act on all pending legislations to reimpose the death penalty on heinous crimes — especially on the trafficking of illegal drugs.”

Stop irresponsible mining
President Duterte warned “all mining operations and contractors to refrain from the unbridled and irresponsible destruction of our watersheds, forests, and aquatic resources” and rehabilitate their areas that host their operations or else, face steeper taxes.

“I am holding all mining companies and its officials responsible for the full and quick clean-up, restoration [and] rehabilitation of all areas damaged by mining activities, and the extension of all necessary support to the communities that have suffered mining’s disastrous effects on their health, livelihood, and environment, among others.”

TRO on RH Law
The President asked the Supreme Court to lift its two-year temporary restraining order on contraceptive implants.

“The Supreme Court TRO that prevents the Department of Health from distributing subdermal implants, which will cause the wastage of P350 million worth of taxpayers’ money. I also note that since its issuance two years ago, this TRO has impaired the government’s ability to fully implement responsibly family planning and methods and the RH Law. It is time that we put an end to the practice of some parties of resorting technicalities in our laws, prevent the government from fulfilling its mandate.”

Implementation of the K-12 program
President Duterte said his administration will continue to support the implementation of the K to 12 program which aims to expand the basic education system in the country.

“In our bid to accelerate human capital development, we should ensure lifelong opportunities by enhancing quality of and access to education, training programs. We have sustained investments in higher education and committed to the full implementation of the K to 12 Basic Foundation Program.”

Return of a national heritage
The President told the U.S. government to return the iconic Balangiga bells which was seized by American soldiers as war booty in the 1901 in a defeat against the Filipino soldiers.

“That is why I say today; give us back those Balangiga bells. They are ours. They belong to the Philippines.They are part of our national heritage.”

Passage of a new tax reform law
President Duterte asked the Senators to pass his administration’s first batch of tax reforms, after the Lower House passed its version of the bill.

“The fate of the tax reform is now in the hands of the Senate…Well really, I leave it up to you. We are all Filipinos. If you think that’s a waste, fine! If you think, it’s not good, it’s okay with me. I can survive. I call on the Senate so support my tax reform in full and to pass it without haste.” — Marje Pelayo

 

Tags:

Duterte’s approval, trust ratings suffer by 13 points due to rising inflation

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, September 26th, 2018

FILE PHOTO: President Rodrigo Roa Duterte. | KARL NORMAN ALONZO/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

 

MANILA, Philippines – Based on the latest survey released Tuesday, September 25, by the Pulse Asia, President Rodrigo Duterte’s approval and trust ratings dropped from 88 percent in June 2018 to 75 percent in September.

His trust rating of 87 percent in June also suffered a 12-percent decline, bringing the public’s confidence in the President to 72 percent.

Despite this, Malacañang said the survey result does not concern them.

“The president rules because it is his constitutional duty he doesn’t rule for survey results. Marami na pong beses na niyang sinabi yan, we take note of the survey results but we are not affected by it kasi ang president naman will do his best to discharge his duties as president and commander in chief,” said Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque.

The survey, conducted from September 1 to 7, came amid a nationwide concern on soaring inflation that hit the 6.4 percent mark in August. – Rosalie Coz / Marje Pelayo

Tags: ,

EXCLUSIVE: Military uncovers CPP-NPA ouster plots vs Duterte

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Tuesday, September 25th, 2018

 

 

IMAGE_UNTV_NEWS_120617_NPA

File photo: New People’s Army

 

MANILA, Philippines — The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has uncovered several plots by the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) to oust President Rodrigo Duterte, after examining data of computers seized from the rebels.

The military said the CPP was planning to sabotage the commemoration of the declaration of martial law last September 21 with a plot similar to the Plaza Miranda Bombing in 1972.

AFP Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations Brig. Gen. Antonio Parlade said, the CCP’s plan was to recruit not only ordinary people but also prominent members of the opposition to participate in their staged protests.

In the middle of the program, a bomb was set to go off and at least injure a member of the opposition so that they can blame the incident on the administration.

“Kaya lang di sila nakabuo ng malaking grupo kaya dinisregard nila yung plano na yun,” said Parlade.

After failing to pull it off the communist rebels are back to the “Red October” ouster plot which they started executing way back in September 2017.

If the “Red October” plan fails, the Left has another plot set for November known as the “Lakbay Lumad Europe” and in December at the celebration of the Communist Party’s 50th Anniversary.

Parlade also denied allegations that the revelation of such conspiracies against the Chief Executive is merely psychological warfare.

“We don’t have to concoct anything kasi it’s there in the website. Magbasa lang at mag research lang yung mga tao natin makikita nila, yan ay plano ni Communist Party [founding chairman] na si Joma Sison; yan ang di alam ng coalition,” Parlade said. — Lea Ylagan / UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , ,

‘Red October’ is just hearsay; no one can oust a popular president – Bello

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Monday, September 24th, 2018

President Rodrigo Duterte. PCOO | Robinson Niñal Jr.

MANILA, Philippines — Department of Labor and Employment Secretary Silvestre Bello III stated on Monday that it is not possible to oust President Rodrigo Duterte given the strong support of the public.

“How can you oust a president who is very popular and has about 80 percent support of the people?” said Bello.

The statement came after the Secretary was asked about the conspiracy plot to oust the President in October.

Bello vehemently underscored that the so-called ‘Red October’ is just hearsay, and he does not think it will push through.

The government chief negotiator also stressed that localized peace talks with communist rebels will push through and that the government negotiating panel is currently reviewing certain provisions.

Tags: , , ,