Solons backing Velasco speakership bid to shift support to Paolo Duterte
Robie de Guzman • July 2, 2019 • 1403
MANILA, Philippines – Lawmakers from the ruling party Partido Demokratiko Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban) who are supporting Marinduque Representative Lord Allan Velasco’s House speakership bid are vowing to shift their support should Davao City Representative Paolo “Pulong” Duterte pursue his bid for the top House post.
“Basta si Cong. Pulong, siya ang mag-speaker, lahat kami na kay Cong. Lord ay susuporta kami kay Congressman Pulong,” PDP-Laban Executive Vice President and Pampanga Representative Aurelio Gonzales told reporters in an interview.
(If Cong. Pulong joins the speakership race, all of us who are backing Cong. Lord’s bid will shift support to Congressman Pulong.)
Gonzales made the statement after the presidential son and first-termer congressman announced his possible bid for speakership “to help unite” members of the House of Representatives of the 18th Congress.
Duterte said in a statement he previously had no interest in the position, but had a change of heart amid talks of term-sharing being “obsessively pushed” by Taguig-Pateros Representative Alan Peter Cayetano.
The ruling party PDP-Laban earlier endorsed Velasco as its speakership bet.
Aside from Cayetano, another PDP-Laban member vying for the speakership post is former Speaker and Davao del Norte Representative Pantaleon Alvarez. Other contenders are Gonzales and Leyte Representative Martin Romualdez.
Gonzales said he already talked to Velasco about the situation. He also expressed confidence that no other candidate for the speakership would run against Duterte.
Prior to his election as congressman, Duterte served as vice mayor of Davao City but resigned in 2017 after he was tagged in the Bureau of Customs smuggling case.
But despite Duterte’s short stint in public service and legislative work, Gonzales believes the presidential son will be able to perform the Speaker’s duties.
“May experience na ‘yan, naging Vice Mayor na ‘yan at siguradong malalaman rin niya ‘yan marami namang makakasama si Cong Pulong,” he said.
(He already has experience when he served as vice mayor. He will also learn about it from his colleagues.)
Party-list Coalition Spokesperson and AKO BICOL party Representative Alfredo Garbin, meanwhile, believes a House leader must have the ability to unite its more than 300 members.
“If the professional competence, the integrity and the same time, the compassion to the members and the most important thing is the skill to deal with the 300 plus members,” said Garbin.
He said the party-list coalition are set to meet to discuss their vote for the speakership race.
The Visayan bloc, on the other hand, will meet on Monday to tackle Duterte’s proposal for the speakership post to be shared by lawmakers from Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao and the party-list groups.
Malacañang, for its part, said the presidential son has the right to gun for speakership post.
“Every person has the right to any position, if he is qualified, if he is elected, kaya you cannot prevent people naman from running,” Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo said.
President Rodrigo Duterte earlier threatened to step down from office should his son decide to gun for House speakership.
But Panelo said that both the chief executive and his son may still change their minds about the issue.
“It’s between the father and the son, ibang usapan na yun. Pero as a general principle, if you are qualified to run then you can run,” he said.
Romualdez has yet to comment on the issue, but according to his ally Albay Representative Joey Salceda, meanwhile, said the former would give way to the younger Duterte.
Cayetano has yet to release statement on Duterte’s announcement for possible speakership bid. (correspondents Grace Casin and Rosalie Coz contributed to this report)
MANILA, Philippines — The country is not yet ready to fully reopen its economy, according to President Rodrigo Duterte.
The Chief Executive said the government is doing the process gradually, otherwise the number of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) infections would spike that could lead to a bigger problem.
He said he cannot follow the example of other countries because the Philippines does not have as much resources if the situation gets worse.
“Tayong pobre we cannot afford really a total epidemic or pandemonium. Mahirap tayo. Hindi tayo puwedeng sumugal (As a poor country, we cannot afford really a total epidemic or pandemonium. We are poor. We cannot afford to gamble),” the President said during his public address on Tuesday evening (July 7).
President Duterte cited situations in the United States and Brazil where despite being powerful and wealthy, are not spared from the impact of the pandemic.
“Although they opened their economy for money to come into the government coffers, there was a spike. They were having a problem of almost a relapse — in the totality of the number,” he added.
Meanwhile, the President expressed doubts that the country has entered the second wave of COVID-19 outbreak.
“Now we do not even know if the number of 34, 178 of active cases is still a part of the first wave or have we arrived at the second wave. I don’t think so. We are still grappling with the first wave,” he argued.
He urged Filipinos to obey strict health protocols and have more patience as the government works to combat the pandemic.
“Mga kababayan ko, ako mismo gusto ko nang lumabas. Ayoko nang magpapigil. Kung gusto ko nga makipag-away na ako. Ang problema iyon ang gusto ko, pero ang gusto ko ay hindi makakabuti sa ating lahat,” he said.
(My fellow countrymen, I personally I want to go out. I don’t want to be barred from doing so. I am even ready to fight over this. The problem is, what I want is not good for everyone.)
“We have to be very circumspect in reopening the economy. Dahan-dahan lang (Let’s do it gradually), because if you open the entire Philippines and thousands upon thousands of new cases would happen, then we are in deep s***. Talagang mahirapan tayo (We will seriously struggle),” he said. MNP (with inputs from Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – The Duterte government’s economic development and infrastructure Cabinet clusters are set to present the administration’s plans for recovery and resilience in the face of the coronavirus-induced headwinds this year at the first pre-State of the Nation Address (SONA) forum to be held this week.
The Department of Finance (DOF) said that the forum titled, “Regaining Momentum, Accelerating Recovery in a Post COVID-19 World,” will be held virtually on July 8.
Hosted by the Presidential Communications Operations Office and Office of the Cabinet Secretary, the forum will be streamed live on the Facebook pages of the Radio Television Malacañang, and other government agencies.
Finance Assistant Secretary Antonio Lambino II said this year’s pre-SONA forum will be different as the audience will be “purely virtual,” due to limitations on mass gathering amid the coronavirus pandemic.
“We do hope that our citizens will be able to tune in as the country’s top decision makers discuss our path to a quick and strong recovery from this crisis,” he said.
In the forum, the DOF said that top economic and infrastructure officials are also expected to report on the state of the Philippine economy, as well as the government’s ongoing efforts to leverage on its strong fundamentals in the fight against the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez III and Public Works and Highways Secretary Mark Villar will present performance updates and priority plans, respectively, on the economic and infrastructure fronts.
Acting Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Karl Kendrick Chua will speak on the Philippine Economic Recovery Program.
“The audience can expect Secretary Dominguez to delve deeper into the challenges we’re facing right now, the accomplishments in the previous year that we can build on, and the legislative proposals that the economic team submitted for Congress to consider,” Lambino said.
Meanwhile, updates on the monetary, external, and financial sectors will be discussed by Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) Governor Benjamin Diokno.
Pre-SONA forums are held annually to discuss in greater detail the achievements of the government in the previous year and the priorities of the Cabinet cluster heads in the run-up to the President’s SONA on July 27.
MANILA, Philippines – Several senators have lauded President Rodrigo Duterte for signing the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020 despite oppositions coming from different sectors.
“Much credit goes to PRRD (President Rodrigo Roa Duterte). With all the pressure coming from different directions against the signing of the Anti-Terrorism Bill into law, at the end of the day, it is his strong political will that mattered the most,” Senator Panfilo Lacson said in a statement Friday.
“I cannot imagine this measure being signed under another administration. If only for this, I take my hat off to the president,” he added.
Lacson, one of the principal authors and sponsor of the measure in the Senate, vowed that he would “exert extra effort in guarding against possible abuse in its implementation, notwithstanding all the safeguards incorporated in this landmark legislation.”
Senate President Vicente Sotto III also expressed elation over the enactment of the controversial bill.
“I am glad that the president has sifted through the rubble and saw the importance of the law!” he said in a message to reporters.
Senator Francis Tolentino also called the signing of the law as “very timely” and “historic” as the nation needed the measure.
“It just goes to show that a stable peace and order climate should go hand [in hand] with economic rejuvenation post COVID-19,” he added.
The new law repeals the Human Security Act of 2007 and penalizes those who will propose, incite, conspire, participate in the planning, training, preparation and facilitation of a terrorist act; as well as those who will provide material support to terrorists, and recruit members in a terrorist organization.
The measure allows suspected terrorists to be detained for up to 24 days without warrant. It also authorizes the Anti-Money Laundering Council to freeze the assets and accounts of individuals or groups tagged as terrorists.
Before it was enacted, the bill was met with widespread opposition from different groups who raised concern over its provisions that could be abused by authorities, stifle dissent and spur human rights violations.
But Sotto said the law has enough safeguards to prevent enforcers from abusing their authority.
“It’s full of safeguards but strong against terrorists. Unlike the old law, it was subject to abuse by the terrorists,” Sotto said.
Lacson has repeatedly defended the measure, saying it has enough protection to ensure the rights of those detained.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.