Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

SolGen: Ombudsman Morales concealed the result of Trillanes’ plunder complaint against Pres. Duterte

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, February 14th, 2018

 

The ombudsman completed the Trillanes vs Duterte plunder complaint investigation in November 2017 but informed the solicitor general about it only on February 12.

MANILA, Philippines — Government allies accused Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales of concealing the investigation she conducted in connection with the plunder complaint filed by Senator Antonio Trillanes IV against President Rodrigo Duterte.

The ombudsman completed the said investigation in November of last year but informed the solicitor general about it only on February 12.

With this, the Office of the Solicitor General is studying the possible charges it could file against Morales.

The plunder complaint stemmed from the alleged hidden wealth of the president.

“This will be another case probably before the Supreme Court and I will be the one to argue it,” said Calida.

“Remember the president is the chief executive anyone who doesn’t agree with him should go to court and we will meet him there,” he added.

Calida claims that he would not have learned of the said decision had he not written a letter to the ombudsman last Friday to know the status of the complaint.

Based on the reply of Overall Deputy Ombudsman Melchor Arthur Carandang on Monday, the complaint was already “case closed and terminated” on November 29 of last year.

According to Calida, the president has the right to know the status of the complaint.

“It should be noted that Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales inhibited herself from this matter. It concerns the integrity of the president of the Philippines. She should explain first why she kept this from the public,” said the solicitor general.

With this development, Calida believes the Senate has no reason to investigate the allegations against the president.

In response, opposition members Senator Antonio Trillanes said, “Bakit sila nagpapanic? Bakit ayaw nilang mapahiya ako and most of all bakit ayaw pirmahan ni Duterte yung waiver, ayaw niyang tanggapin ang hamon ko. Pirmahan niya yung waiver, kapag mali ako, magreresign ako,” said Trillanes.

(Why are they panicking? Why don’t they want to embarrass me? And most of all why did President Duterte did not want to sign the waiver. He does not want to accept my challenge. He should sign my waiver. If I’m wrong, I will resign.)

While Magdalo Representative Gary Alejano said, “I am confident that the ombudsman would find out and prove that indeed the bank account and transaction records of Duterte are true and correct — it’s just a matter of time.”

Ombudsman Morales has yet to comment on the matter. — Aiko Miguel | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Malacañang on Duterte’s male preference for Ombudsman, CJ posts: ‘No discrimination’

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Thursday, May 17th, 2018

 

MANILA, Philippines – Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque defended President Rodrigo Duterte over his preference for male candidates for the vacant positions of ombudsman and chief justice.

During an interview in Malacañang Wednesday, May 16, President Duterte said he does not want a politician, especially women, for the positions.

“Mag-nominate sila (Judicial and Bar Council) pero I choose. Gusto ko iyong bilib ang tao sa integrity niya. Of course it could not be a politician. Lalo na hindi babae,” Duterte said.

Meanwhile, Gabriela party-list said the President’s remarks were alarming.

“We are perturbed and extremely enraged that the sickest form of misogyny sits at the presidential seat in Malacañang,” the group said in a statement Thursday, May 17.

In response, Roque insisted that there was no discrimination in the President’s remarks though he admitted that he still has to clarify the matter with the Chief Executive.

“Sa aking pagkakaalam po,wala naman pong diskriminsasyon sa kababaihan. Kahit sino po pupwedeng maupo sa pwesto,” Roque said in a press briefing in Malacanang, Thursday, May 17.

(As far as I know, there is no discrimination against women. Anybody may qualify for the post.)

President Duterte appointed female officials as members of his Cabinet namely Social Welfare Secretary Judy Taguiwalo, resigned Tourism Secretary Wanda Teo and the latest female appointee, Tourism Secretary Berna Romulo-Puyat. — Rosalie Coz | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , ,

Duterte skips barangay polls for ‘purely political’ reasons

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Tuesday, May 15th, 2018

President Duterte’s ratings, expected

FILE PHOTO: President Rodrigo Duterte

 

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte skipped Monday’s barangay elections primarily “to erase suspicions.” He added that his reason was “purely political.”

“Purely political. Lahat iyong tumakbo kaibigan ko (I’m friends with all the candidates). Almost all were my supporters during the last election, and they would never believe na nagboto ako o hindi sa kanila (whether I voted for them or not ). So tingin ko (I thought) the better option is just skip the voting. Ayokong magduda sila (I don’t want them to have any doubts),” the President said in his speech Monday night, May 14, at  the wake of former Senator Edgardo Angara.

President Duterte did not show up to vote at his polling precinct at Daniel R. Aguinaldo High School where a presidential chair was prepared. Monday’s barangay elections, the first in five years after several postponements, was also the first under the Duterte administration. – Rosalie Coz | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: ,

Justice de Castro nominated as next Ombudsman

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Monday, May 7th, 2018

 

MANILA, Philippines – Supreme Court Associate Justice Teresita de Castro was nominated to replace Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales.

Morales will end her 7-year term in July this year.

 Retired Supreme Court Associate Justice Arturo Brion submitted his nomination to the Judicial Bar Council (JBC) on Wednesday, May 3, citing De Castro’s 45-year service in government as a qualification.

De Castro is set to retire from the Supreme Court in October.

She is among those who testified in the impeachment hearings against Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno. – UNTV News and Rescue

Tags: ,