Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

SolGen to move for cancellation of bail bonds of NDFP consultants

by admin   |   Posted on Thursday, July 20th, 2017

MANILA, Philippines — The Office of the Solicitor General (OSG) will move for the cancellation of the bail bonds posted by the consultants of the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP).

Nineteen NDFP consultants were freed last year to participate in the peace talks, including the couple Wilma and Benito Tiamzon; the alleged leaders of the New People’s Army.

In his twitter post, Solicitor General Jose Calida said he will ask the courts to cancel the bail bonds and order the arrest and detention of the consultants.

This, after Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process Sec. Jess Dureza announced the cancellation of the back channel talks with communist rebels, following the NPAs ambush of a Presidential Security Guard (PSG) convoy in Arakan, North Cotabato.

OSG spokesman Atty. Erik Dy said, the release of the consultants is subject to the conditions set by the Supreme Court.

One of them is that the bail is considered automatically cancelled once negotiations fail.

NDFP peace panel legal counsel Atty. Edre Olalia said, the OSG’s reaction is hasty which doesn’t help and only aggravates the situation.

He said there is still hope in the peace talks so long that President Duterte is not under the control of the military and the government negotiators would act prudently.

The backchannel negotiations should have started tomorrow until Sunday, July 23.

This is in preparation for the resumption of the fifth round of talks in August or September. —Roderic Mendoza | UNTV News & Rescue

 

Tags: , , , , , , ,

3 NPA terrorists killed in Mindoro encounter

by Marje Pelayo   |   Posted on Friday, June 14th, 2019

Courtesy: (2DPAO, 2ID, PA)

RIZAL, Philippines — Three members of the New People’s Army (NPA) terrorist group were killed in an encounter with the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) in the town of Mansalay in Oriental Mindoro province.

The encounter took place on Thursday afternoon (June 13) and lasted for almost two hours.

According to BGen. Marceliano Teofilo, the commander of the 203rd Infantry Brigade which has operational jurisdiction over Mindoro Province, they received information from concerned citizen that the NPA terrorists in the area will conduct training to their newly recruited members of which some were believed to be minors.

“This prompted us to conduct Focused Military Operation (FMO) and our troops were able to locate their whereabouts, and fire fight broke,” Teofilo said.

The military also recovered three M16 rifles; one AK-47; one cal.45 with 2 magazines; one grenade launcher tube; two improvised explosive devices (IED) and switch; three blasting caps; two cellphones; and assorted kinds of ammunitions at the encounter site.

According to the report, one soldier from the Army’s 4IB was slightly wounded in the left ear but is now in safe condition.

Lt.Col. Alexander Arbolado, Battalion Commander of the 4IB said they already dispatched additional troops and K9 units to track the whereabouts of the retreating rebels.

“We will not let them go until they are totally destroyed,” he said.

BGen. Teofilo calls on the NPA rebels to surrender or else “suffer the fate of their comrades” as the military will not stop in pursuing them.

Meanwhile, Army’s 2nd Infantry Division spokesperson Capt. Patrick Jay Retumban said “the intel community is now validating the reports that an NPA Commander was slain during the encounter”.

If it’s true, BGen. Teofilo said it would be a major blow to the NPA rebel unit in Mindoro.

“Their days are numbered and in just a matter of time the NPA here will be on the verge of collapse due to their numerous setbacks in armed encounters and snowballing of surrenderees,” he noted.

Tags: , , , , , ,

DILG to Reds: Spare the youth from lies, deception

by Robie de Guzman   |   Posted on Tuesday, June 4th, 2019

The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) on Tuesday called on communist rebel groups to stop recruiting students and out-of-school youth into their movement.

“Spare our young people from your lies and deception.Huwag ninyong sirain ang kinabukasan nila. Huwag ninyo silang linlangin at idamay sa mga pakana ninyo para mag-aklas laban sa gobyerno,” DILG Secretary Eduardo Año said in a statement.

Año, a former chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, said the youth are easy to manipulate and brainwash making them priority target recruits of the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army-National Democratic Front of the Philippines (CPP-NPA-NDF).

“The youth should be in school and not in the mountains,” he said. 

“The youth are a brave, curious and adventurous bunch. So, the communists take advantage of these qualities along with their vulnerabilities to deceive, manipulate, and threaten them into becoming one of their own,” he added.

Año made the remark following the death of several teenaged NPA combatants in previous encounters with government forces.

The DILG chief also called on the youth not to fall for the communists’ deception and smooth talk.

“I tell you, it is a trap. They will sow hatred and lies into your heads so that you will become their vessel to unknowingly work to push their twisted ideology,” he said.

Año further stated that communist terrorist groups capitalize on issues like cost of education, neglect of the youth sector, poor internet connection, lack of career opportunities, among other socioeconomic issues to agitate the young people and indoctrinate them on the communist ideology.

“The communist terrorists poison the minds of our children by teaching them to hate the government and arming them with guns. This form of child trafficking must stop,” he said.

Tags: , , , ,

DILG warns candidates paying campaign fees to rebels

by Aileen Cerrudo   |   Posted on Thursday, May 2nd, 2019

The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) will file charges against candidates proven to be paying campaign fees to communist rebels.

According to DILG Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya these candidates will be liable if they have enough evidence to prove that these candidates are paying extortion money to communist rebels.

“They will be held liable even after the elections if we are able to gather evidence that they are aiding, financing, supporting or conniving with these communist terrorist groups and their allies who are out to trample our democracy and oust our duly constituted authorities,” he said during a press briefing on Thursday (May 2).

DILG said the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army (CPP-NPA) were able to collect over P100 million from various extortion activities nationwide from 2016-2018.

Election candidates will pay a certain amount of money to communist rebels in order allow them to campaign in their area.

Meanwhile, Malaya said there is already a decline in the number of local candidates paying extortion money to communist rebels for this election compared in 2016.

However, for those candidates who continue to pay rebels for a campaign permit, they will be in violation of Republic Act no. 10168 or the Financing of Terrorism, Disloyalty and Co-conspirator in Crime of Rebellion.

According to Malaya they received reports about negotiations with the rebel groups in parts of Cordillera, Quezon, Bicol, Eastern Visayas, and Eastern Mindanao. (with reports from Rey Pelayo)

Tags: , , ,