Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Soldiers mistakenly kill 6 cops in Samar encounter

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Tuesday, June 26th, 2018

Bodies of cops accidentally killed by members of Philippine Army 87IB Charlie Coy in a chance-encounter in Villareal, Samar (June 25) Photo courtesy of Lope Erasca Cebreros III. Courtesy: Lope erasca cebreros III.

 

SAMAR Island, Philippines – Members of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) 87IB Charlie Coy mistakenly killed six police officers as members of the New People’s Army (NPA) in the area of Villarreal, Samar on Monday night (June 25).

Nine other cops were injured in the encounter, said Major-General Raul Farnacio, who called the incident “unfortunate.”

Farnacio, in a statement, said the AFP is coordinating with Philippine National Police (PNP) to conduct a joint AFP-PNP investigation on the circumstances surrounding the incident.

“As we sincerely condole with the families of our brothers in the PNP, we assure the bereaved families that appropriate actions will be taken if there be any lapses committed in either sides. This is to ensure that the incident will not happen again,” the military officer added. – Lea Ylagan / Marje Pelayo

Tags: , , ,

Measles outbreak declared in San Roque, N. Samar

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Thursday, August 16th, 2018

NORTHERN SAMAR, Philippines – A measles outbreak was recently declared in the municipality of San Roque following the deaths of two minors last week.

Department of Health (DOH) regional head for epidemiology and surveillance, Boyd Roderick Cerro, said that even though there are existing cases of measles infection in other areas in the region, the case of the two siblings who died recently warrants the declaration of an outbreak.

“Masasabi nating ito ay outbreak kung clustered by time, by place, and by person sa isang pamilya. Epidemiologically may relationship kasi makikitang nagkahawa-hawa na sila,” Cerro explained.

Measles is a viral infection that primarily targets the respiratory system. It is highly contagious that can spread through the air through coughing and sneezing and through contact with infected mucus and saliva. Symptoms include fever, runny nose, cough, red eyes, and sore throat followed by a rash that spreads over the body.

Cerro noted that there is no drug available to cure measles but the infection can be prevented through vaccination.

“Pabakunahan nila ang mga anak nila ng measles vaccine kasi napatunayan na ito at matagal nang ginagamit ng Department of Health, certified ng WHO na safe ang bakunang ito,” he assured.

The DOH is set to hold a special immunization activity within the region to curb the spread of measles infection. – Archyl Egano / Marje Pelayo

Tags: , ,

AFP sees extortion as primary motive behind blast in Lamitan, Basilan

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, August 1st, 2018

AFP Chief of Staff General Carlito Galvez Jr and WestMinCom commander Lieutenant General Arnel dela Vega

 

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines – The Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) is running out of resources, that’s why they resort to extorting money from the communities.

This is the main reason that the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) sees behind the bombing incident at Sitio Colonia in Lamitan, Basilan on Tuesday (July 31).

According to AFP Chief of Staff General Carlito Galvez Jr., the bandit group is in dire need of money to fund their operation.

“Base doon sa information at saka sa report, humihingi sila ng P50,000 sa lahat ng mga LGUs and that single action iyon na ang ginagamit nilang panakot para lahat ng mga LGUs, kung 11 mayors iyon ay times P50,000, malaking amount ng pera iyon,” said Galvez.

But the local government of Basilan maintains not giving in to the demands of the terror group even if they say that the money is in exchange for the release of their captives.

“Secondly is to gain some support kasi nakita natin na ang Abu Sayyaf sa Basilan more than 150 na iyong nagsu-surrender and they wanted to make some very strong statement and that statement is through the bombing na ito,” Galvez further said.

Meanwhile, the government is not discounting the possibility of the ASG sowing terror elsewhere.

This prompted PNP Chief Police Director General Oscar Albayalde to tighten the security in checkpoints and the implementation of Oplan Sita across the country.

“We have to be on our toes especially so here in Metro Manila, dito sa NCR, dahil malaking impact iyan pag dito. Kaya todo ang pagbabantay  natin dito,” the PNP Chief said.

“Anything can happen anything is possible. But based on our intelligence, on our data, the probability is not that high,” said Lt. Gen. Arnel De Vega, AFP Western Mindanao Commander, when asked about the probability of the terrorist attacks.

The military, meanwhile, appealed to the public not speculate but to stay calm instead and let the authorities do their respective jobs. – Dante Amento / Marje Pelayo

Tags: , , ,

Soldiers clash with NPA rebels in Batangas

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Tuesday, July 31st, 2018

Members of 1st Infantry Battalion inspect items that were recovered after the clash against NPA rebels in Sitio Coloconto, Brgy. Bulsa, San Juan Batangas.

 

RIZAL, Philippines – No one was hurt on the government side when soldiers of the 1ID Philippine Army (PA) clashed with members of the New People’s Army (NPA) in the town of San Juan in Batangas on Monday (July 30).

According to Capt. Patrick Jay Retumban, Spokesperson of 2ID, PA, the troops were conducting combat operations at Sitio Coloconto in Barangay Bulsa after receiving reports from concerned citizens that a group of NPA terrorists was planning to harass the Bulsa detachment.

“Natunton ang temporarily encampment ng more or less 15 NPA na under kay alias Salma. Nang magkabulagaan na, naganap ang firefight,” explained Retumban.

A firefight broke out which lasted for almost an hour.

Government troops recovered one M16 rifle, six backpacks, one commercial radio, one bandoleer, six magazines and improvised explosive devices (IED) at the encounter site.

The enemies, meanwhile, brought along their wounded comrades when they escaped the site.

Retumban encourages citizens to continue helping the government track the whereabouts of the rebels.

“Panawagan namin sa mga sibilyan na patuloy na magreport pag may nakitang mga armadong grupo sa kanilang lugar,” he said.

Meanwhile, Major General Rhoderick Parayno, the AFP 2ID Commander, lauded the efforts of the troops as the combat operations preempted the NPA attacks on the Bulsa detachment.

Government troops remain on guard and on track against NPA threats and are continuing their massive pursuit operations against the terrorists.

“We will pursue them until they are decimated,” Parayno concluded.

Intensified measures are being imposed at checkpoints in the area following the encounter. — Jennica Cruz / Marje Pelayo

Tags: , , ,