Skyway Stage-3 to begin full operation on January 15

Marje Pelayo   •   January 13, 2021   •   998

MANILA, Philippines — Skyway Stage 3, the 14.8-kilometer elevated tollway project connecting Skyway/SLEx Buendia to NLEx Balintawak is set to open in full operation beginning Friday (January 15).

On Wednesday (January 13), Public Works and Highways Secretary Mark Villar conducted a final inspection to ensure that everything is in place.

Although the road project is expected to shift to full operation, only seven ramps will be opened to motorists including entry and exit ramps in Buendia, Quezon Avenue and Balintawak.

However, in Plaza Dilao, only the south bound ramp will be opened to motorist for the meantime, as there are still nine ramps that are under construction and yet to be delivered to DPWH.

Nevertheless, six lanes will be open to motorists starting Friday.

Since the project began on December 29 last year, around 60,000 to 70,000 motorists were able to ply daily in the said Skyway section, the DPWH said.

“Qualitatively we can see na maraming natutuwa dahil sa ngayon kapag rush hour minsan sa Edsa makikita natin di naman gaano kagrabe ang traffic and the numbers would show this dahil ito naman talaga ang expectations namin ito yung target namin na mabawasan ang Edsa ng at least 100,000 cars para bumalik siya sa original capacity,” explained Villar.

Meanwhile, the DPWH and San Miguel Corporation earlier announced that Sky Way Stage 3 will be toll-free until January 29.

But since the contractor has yet to complete the entire construction, Secretary Villar said the free toll may be extended. MNP (with reports from Joan Nano)

Senate panel questions P100B worth of unimplemented projects in 2021 budget

Aileen Cerrudo   •   September 22, 2021

MANILA, Philippines—The Senate finance subcommittee on Wednesday (September 22) questioned the P100 billion-worth of unimplemented projects.

During Wednesday’s virtual hearing of the panel, Senator Nancy Binay questioned  the P100 billion worth of unimplemented projects due to the absence of clearance from the Office of the President (OP).

According to Binay, only about 30% of the Department of Public Works and Highways’  projects for  2021 have so far been implemented because there was no clearance from the OP.

“Nakakagulat kasi nga mag-o-October na in a few days and then may maririnig tayo na P100 billion worth of projects na alam natin can generate a lot of jobs na kailangan na kailangan natin ngayon pero hanggang ngayon hindi nga nai-implement ang mga programa na ito ” she said.

The said infrastructure projects were marked ‘For Later Release’ under the 2021 national budget and there is still no clearance from the OP.  The senators said the unused funds will return to the national treasury once the year ends.

Senator Miguel Zubiri urged the release of the funds which also include the budget for ‘Doktor Para sa Bayan Act’ which aims to provide medical scholarships. He also called for an executive session to discuss the issue.

“We all know that we need to have countryside development, and the only way to do countryside development is to push for medical scholarships, to push for this infrastructure programs,” he said.

The OP, meanwhile, the said budget would still need to be reviewed since it was not part of the original budget submitted under the 2021 National Expenditure Program.

“Many of these—because they are not in the NEP—have not gone through the usual vetting process of the agencies and so there’s that reason to place them in a category of their own, which warrants the imposition of special conditions for their release,” according to OP Senior Deputy Executive Secretary Michael Ong.

Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea assured that the release of the budget mentioned will be given priority.

“We will just look into it and see to it that this will be acted soonest,” he said. AAC (with reports from Harlene Delgado)

Binondo-Intramuros Bridge set to open in Q1 2022 — DPWH

Aileen Cerrudo   •   September 2, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Binondo-Intramuros Bridge Project is set to open in 2022, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) said.

DPWH Secretary Mark Villar, in a statement, assured that the installation of fabricated precast concrete slab panels is nearing its completion.

Of the 135 bored piles for abutments, piers, and ramps, 114 were already completed with the remaining 21 mostly at the Estero De Binondo area.

However, the DPWH reported that the presence of powerlines and other utilities along Estero de Binondo at the north approach bridge posed serious challenges in the tight schedule to complete the new bridge.

DPWH Undersecretary for Unified Project Management Office (UPMO) Operations Emil Sadain said that the P3.39 billion project is about 77% complete.

He added that they are following up their request with Meralco to move or relocate distribution poles and overhead high tension lines that pose serious safety concerns in the ongoing construction of ramps in the Binondo and Intramuros area.

The construction of the 680 lineal meter basket-handle tied steel arch bridge connecting Intramuros (at Solana Street and Riverside Drive) and Binondo (at San Fernando Bridge) with a viaduct structure over Estero de Binondo is financed by a China Aid Grant.

Although the coronavirus pandemic disrupted the job site activity, the DPWH and contractor China Road and Bridge Corporation is taking proactive and preventive measures for workers in accordance with the construction health and safety guidelines amid the coronavirus disease threat, the department further said. AAC

DPWH to conduct road reblocking along EDSA from Aug. 20-23

Aileen Cerrudo   •   August 19, 2021

MANILA, Philippines—The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) will conduct reblocking and repairs on some parts of EDSA beginning Friday.

The following roads will be closed starting 11pm of August 20 until August 23:

  • EDSA-Caloocan (southbound) after B. Serrano Street (3rd lane from sidewalk)
  • EDSA-Makati (Northbound) before Ayala tunnel (5th lane)

The affected roads will be fully passable by 5:00 a.m. on Monday, August 23. Motorists are advised to take alternate routes.

 

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.