Sevilla Bridge now fully open to public – DPWH

Robie de Guzman   •   August 17, 2020   •   1154

MANILA, Philippines – The newly-reconstructed Sevilla Bridge is now fully opened to the public, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) said on Monday.

The Sevilla Bridge is a four-lane bridge crossing the San Juan River connecting Shaw Boulevard in Burol, Mandaluyong City and P. Sanchez Street in Sta. Mesa, Manila.

“Now that the new Sevilla Bridge is open to the traveling public, it should help decongest traffic in Metro Manila and benefit the daily motorists,” DPWH Secretary Mark Villar said in a statement.

The bridge was initially opened to motorists on June 26 for the lanes going to Shaw Boulevard while its opposite lanes were completed a week after.

The bridge reconstruction project, a partnership with San Miguel Corp. (SMC), involves a 56.76 linear meter single span with a total width of 19.40 meters composed of 7.65 meter carriageway an d 1.5 meter sidewalk (northbound and southbound), and 1.1-meter center island.

Following its closure in March, the bridge was reconstructed to give way to construction works of Metro Manila Skyway Stage 3 project.

The reconstruction of Sevilla Bridge also helps in ensuring the smooth flow of water in the San Juan River where it stands, resulting to flood mitigation in the area especially during the rainy season,” Villar said.

Skyway Stage-3 to begin full operation on January 15

Marje Pelayo   •   January 13, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Skyway Stage 3, the 14.8-kilometer elevated tollway project connecting Skyway/SLEx Buendia to NLEx Balintawak is set to open in full operation beginning Friday (January 15).

On Wednesday (January 13), Public Works and Highways Secretary Mark Villar conducted a final inspection to ensure that everything is in place.

Although the road project is expected to shift to full operation, only seven ramps will be opened to motorists including entry and exit ramps in Buendia, Quezon Avenue and Balintawak.

However, in Plaza Dilao, only the south bound ramp will be opened to motorist for the meantime, as there are still nine ramps that are under construction and yet to be delivered to DPWH.

Nevertheless, six lanes will be open to motorists starting Friday.

Since the project began on December 29 last year, around 60,000 to 70,000 motorists were able to ply daily in the said Skyway section, the DPWH said.

“Qualitatively we can see na maraming natutuwa dahil sa ngayon kapag rush hour minsan sa Edsa makikita natin di naman gaano kagrabe ang traffic and the numbers would show this dahil ito naman talaga ang expectations namin ito yung target namin na mabawasan ang Edsa ng at least 100,000 cars para bumalik siya sa original capacity,” explained Villar.

Meanwhile, the DPWH and San Miguel Corporation earlier announced that Sky Way Stage 3 will be toll-free until January 29.

But since the contractor has yet to complete the entire construction, Secretary Villar said the free toll may be extended. MNP (with reports from Joan Nano)

14 DPWH district engineers relieved from post due to alleged corruption

Aileen Cerrudo   •   January 7, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Fourteen engineers of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) have been relieved from their posts due to their alleged involvement in corruption, according to DPWH Secretary Mark Villar.

Villar said this is following the order of President Rodrigo Duterte after he named several DPWH officials allegedly involved in corruption.

“Actually iyong binanggit po ni Presidente na-relieve na and mayroon kaming ongoing complaints sa aming task force against corruption (Those mentioned by the President had already been relieved from their posts and we have ongoing complaints reported in our task force against corruption), he said.

Duterte mentioned the names last December during his public address. This was after the investigation conducted by the Presidential Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) on the alleged corruption in the DPWH. —AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)

Velasco urges PACC to send corruption report to Ombudsman

Aileen Cerrudo   •   December 30, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — House Speaker Lord Allan Velasco urged the Presidential Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) to submit to the Office of the Ombudsman their report on the alleged involvement of several lawmakers in anomalies at the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).

“Pursuant to due process, we believe that the matter should be brought before the Ombudsman, given the limited jurisdiction of the PACC over officials in the Executive Branch, and not those in the legislature,” he said.

In a statement on Tuesday (December 29), Velasco said the President made it clear that there is a presumption of innocence and such announcement was not an indictment. He also remind the public “not take it as gospel truth that it’s true.”

Based on reports, Velasco said the House members included in the PACC list claimed that none of the representatives from PACC have invited them for questioning.

“It appears that the PACC has not made any investigation as to the veracity of the accusations against them since they belong to another branch of government, which is not within the authority of the Commission,” Velasco said. AAC

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.