Police officers attend to the scene after a vehicle collided with pedestrians in the Finsbury Park neighborhood of North London, Britain June 19, 2017. Thomas Van Hulle/Social Media via REUTERS
Several people were injured in north London early on Monday after a van rammed into worshippers leaving a mosque, witnesses said, in what British police described as a “major incident”.
The Muslim Council of Britain said the vehicle had hit people as they were leaving Finsbury Park mosque.
Police said they were called just after 12:20 a.m. (2320 GMT Sunday) to reports of a collision on Seven Sisters Road, which runs through the Finsbury Park area of the city. They said there were a number of casualties and one person had been arrested.
“From the window, I started hearing a lot of yelling and screeching, a lot of chaos outside. … Everybody was shouting: ‘A van’s hit people, a van’s hit people’,” one woman who lives opposite the scene told the BBC.
“There was this white van stopped outside Finsbury Park mosque that seemed to have hit people who were coming out after prayers had finished. I didn’t see the attacker himself, although he seems to have been arrested, but I did see the van.”
A Reuters witness saw at least one person being loaded into an ambulance. A number of police and ambulances were in attendance.
The incident followed a series of attacks in Britain.
Eight people were killed and 50 injured on June 3 when three Islamist militants drove into pedestrians on London Bridge and stabbed people at nearby restaurants and bars.
On March 22, a man drove a rented car into pedestrians on Westminster Bridge in London and stabbed a policeman to death before being shot dead. His attack killed five people.
On May 22, a suicide bomber killed 22 people at a concert by American pop singer Ariana Grande in Manchester in northern England. — By Ritvik Carvalho and Costas Pitas | LONDON
(Writing by Guy Faulconbridge and Nick Tattersall; Editing by Peter Cooney)
DOLE warns against fake account recruiting workers to London
FILE PHOTO: Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) Sec. Silvestre Bello III
MANILA, Philippines —The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has warned the public of another illegal scheme that targets Filipinos who seek to work abroad.
The Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) in London said that firstname.lastname@example.org is a fake email account. The embassy said those behind the fake email illegally recruit aspiring overseas Filipino workers to non-existent jobs.
The Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) reminded Filipinos to visit its website first or its office to identify legitimate recruitment agencies or job offers overseas. — UNTV News & Rescue
UK detonates WW2 bomb found near London Airport
Police officers stand by a cordon at the entrance to London City Airport, in London, Britain. February 12, 2018. REUTERS / Simon Dawson
A World War II bomb found near London City Airport was detonated on Wednesday by members of the Royal Navy bomb disposal team.
The bomb, that weighed 500 kilos and measured a meter and a half long, had been driven down the River Thames overnight before being detonated about a mile off the coast.
The bomb was discovered at the George Fifth Dock during scheduled works on Sunday.
All flights to and from London City airport were canceled on Monday after the half-tonne ordinance was found.
After the bomb was safely removed by the Royal Navy and met police, London’s City Airport reopened and was operating as usual since Tuesday. — Reuters