by UNTV News | Posted on Tuesday, March 13th, 2018
The UNTV Cup Season 6 champion Senate Defenders celebrate at the awarding ceremony of their cash prize of P4,000,000 to be donated to their chosen beneficiaries, Kythe Foundation Inc., Tahanang Mapagpala Immaculada Concepcion Inc., and Pangarap Foundation, Inc and P500,000 to the team. Also in the picture is Senator Franklin Drilon and Senator Juan Miguel Zubirri together with the representatives of the said beneficiaries and of course the UNTV Cup founder, Dr. Daniel Razon of BMPI-UNTV and MCGI. (Frederick Alvior / Photoville International)
On Monday night’s Game 2 between Malacañang-PSC Kamao and Senate Defenders, Special Assistant to the President Christopher “Bong” Go showed for the first time what he’s got on the UNTV Cup hard court at Smart-Araneta Coliseum.
SAP Bong Go bucketed several early shots, including 3 pointers, before the first period ended, with the Kamao on the lead by 4, 21-17.
In the second quarter, the Defenders stole the lead before the first half buzzer went off, 39-34.
In the third period, the Defenders intensified their hustle on the defense which brought them to a bigger lead, 59-50.
And in the last quarter, as the UNTV Cup crowd got more excited, the Senate team displayed increasing determination to end the final series with them lifting the trophy.
The Senate’s tough defense prevented the Kamao from bucketing scores with only two shots made in five minutes.
Their efforts resulted in a 20-point lead in favor of the Defenders as the final buzzer of the ball game went off, 84-64.
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Thursday, June 20th, 2019
New Zealand’s government on Thursday (June 20) launched a multi-million-dollar, six-month “buy-back” scheme to compensate owners of powerful but newly banned semi-automatic weapons prohibited in the wake of deadly attacks on two mosques in the Southern city of Christchurch.
Finance Minister Grant Robertson and Minister of Police Stuart Nash said in a joint statement that NZ$208 million ($135.97 million) had been set aside to compensate owners of the banned semi-automatic firearms up to 95% of the original cost, adding in a news conference that they had no idea how many of the firearms were in the community.
“Compensation is necessary because of a new law agreed to by almost the entire parliament in response to the events of the 15th of March. The buy-back and amnesty has one objective – to remove the most dangerous weapons from circulation,” Nash said.
“This compensation scheme recognises licensed firearm owners are now in the possession of prohibited items through no fault of their own, but because of a law change. The approach to prices balances fair compensation for people’s firearms and a fair cost for the taxpayer,” he added.
“We have made a commitment that we want these weapons out of circulation and we believe that this buy-back process is a very important part of that. The costs are uncertain and, you can imagine, for a Minister of Finance that’s not a position I ever want to be in but it is just the reality of the situation we have,” Robertson said.
“We will keep monitoring it, as I say, we’ve put a new piece into the puzzle today but there are further pieces to be put in,” he added.
Owners would have until Dec. 20 to hand in their weapons.
Parliament passed the gun reform law – the first substantial changes to the country’s gun laws in decades – by a vote of 119 to 1 in April. (REUTERS)
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Tuesday, June 18th, 2019
Twelve people died and another 125 were injured as of 08:30 Tuesday after two earthquakes hit southwest China’s Sichuan Province on Monday night, according to China’s Ministry of Emergency Management.
A 6.0-magnitude earthquake hit Changning County of Sichuan’s Yibin City at 22:55 Monday and another 5.1-magnitude earthquake occurred in Yibin’s Gong County at 23:36 Monday, according to local authorities. Ten villages and towns have been severely affected by the earthquakes.
“The earthquakes also damaged some houses, roads, power and communication facilities,” said Secretary General of the Yibin government Li Tinggen at a Tuesday press conference.
Li said Yibin has started an emergency response and 2,016 rescuers have been dispatched to alleviate the disaster.
“The city and counties quickly allocated all kinds of relief supplies from their disaster relief material repositories to affected villages and towns. At the initial stage, 450 tents, 5,300 quilts and 1,500 folding beds have been sent to affected areas,” Li said.
Yibin has started evacuation and relocation of local people and carried out medical aid for injured ones, Li said.
“After the earthquakes, the city and counties quickly dispatched 15 vehicles and 61 medical specialists with first aid equipment to the quake-stricken areas in order to treat the wounded.
All health centers of villages and towns in the epicenters conducted medical treatment for injured ones immediately after preliminary safety check of their buildings,” Li said. (REUTERS)
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Monday, June 17th, 2019
Argentine President Mauricio Macri called the massive blackout that left tens of millions in South America without power on Sunday (June 15) “unprecedented,” and promised a thorough investigation.
Argentina’s grid “collapsed” around 7 a.m. local time (1100 GMT), leaving the entire country without power, Argentina’s Energy Secretariat said.
The outage also cut electricity to much of neighboring Uruguay and swaths of Paraguay, and shut down YPF’s La Plata refinery, Argentina’s largest.
Macri said the blackout had been prompted by a failure in the country’s coastal grid but said that officials still did not know what had caused the problem.
Half of Argentina had power by mid-afternoon, Macri said.
Energy distributors in Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay, whose populations total nearly 55 million, said power was being quickly restored to major cities and heavily populated coastal regions, including Montevideo and Buenos Aires.
The blackout comes amid a deepening economic crisis in Argentina that has left nearly a third of the country in poverty, pushed interest rates skyward and sent the peso tumbling against the dollar, prompting mass protests throughout the country.
The massive blackout on Father’s Day left Buenos Aires dark early this morning, hobbling public transportation, cutting off water supply and crippling phone and internet communications across the city. (REUTERS)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.