Sen. Poe hopes for Supreme Court’s swift decision over her DQ case

admin   •   January 5, 2016   •   2363

FILE PHOTO: Senator Grace Poe (Photoville International)

FILE PHOTO: Senator Grace Poe (Photoville International)

MANILA, Philippines — Senator Grace Poe’s lawyer, Atty. George Erwin Garcia said they believe that the Supreme Court will immediately decide on Senator Poe’s disqualification (DQ) cases.

This is after the Supreme Court (SC) promptly issued a temporary restraining order (TRO) on December 28, 2015, in response to the petition filed by Poe’s camp earlier that same month.

Atty. Garcia hopes that after the oral arguments on January 19, the SC will be able to issue a decision on the case. He added that Senator Poe will respect whatever decision the high court comes to on her disqualification cases.

Meanwhile, vice-presidential candidate Alan Peter Cayetano said, the current disqualification case filed against his presidential running mate, Rodrigo Duterte, is affecting their chances of acquiring support in the local level.

Sen. Cayetano said, “Marami kasi sa local gusto talaga kay Mayor Duterte. Pero ilan sa kanila nagtatanong talaga sa amin kailan mase-settle yung DQ case.”

(Many from the local level prefer Mayor Duterte. However, some of them are asking when the disqualification case will be settled.)

According to Senator Cayetano, they are just hoping that the disqualification case will be dismissed at the Commission on Election (COMELEC) so that they can push through with their platform against crime.

Even so, Cayetano clarified that Senator Poe’s issue is different from Mayor Duterte.

“Kay Senator Poe it’s substantial. It’s about constitutional requirements. Kay Mayor Duterte it’s procedural; saan ipa-file, anu dapat nakalagay and everything.”

(In Senator Poe’s [case], it’s substantial. It’s about constitutional requirements whereas Mayor Duterte’s is procedural.)

In an interview with COMELEC Spokesperson Director James Jimenez through the program “Get Straight with Daniel Razon”, he said Poe and Duterte’s names will still be printed on the election ballot. (DARLENE BASINGAN / UNTV News)

Disqualification case vs BBM tatalakayin sa Enero 7 – COMELEC

Robie de Guzman   •   December 29, 2021

 

MANILA, Philippines – Nakatakdang dinggin ng Commission on Elections (COMELEC) sa Enero 7, 2022 ang disqualification petition na inihain ng grupong Akbayan laban kay presidential aspirant Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr.

Ang disqualification case na inihain ng Akbayan noong Disyembre 2 ay isa lamang sa mga disqualification cases laban kay Marcos na layong patigilin ang dating senador mula sa paglahok sa presidential race para sa 2022 elections.

Giit ng petitioner, ang pagkaka-convict kay Marcos noong 1995 dahil sa umano’y paglabag sa National Internal Revenue Code ay sapat na dahilan upang huwag itong payagang tumakbo ito sa 2022 polls.

Ayon kay COMELEC Commissioner Rowena Guanzon, papayagan ang media coverage sa loob ng limang minuto o hanggang bago ang marking ng exhibits gagawing pagdinig para sa interes ng publiko.

Disqualification case filed against Marcos anew

Maris Federez   •   December 2, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — A new disqualification case has been filed before the Commission on Elections (Comelec) against the bid of former Senator Ferdinand ‘Bongbong’ Marcos to run for president in the 2022 national elections.

Akbayan Partylist said they filed the case against Marcos citing his conviction for violating the Tax Code, a crime, the group claimed, that involves moral turpitude.

Akbayan Youth chairperson Dr. RJ Naguit said the Court’s decision convicting Marcos in 1995 for not filing his Income Tax Returns from 1982 to 1985 is a solid basis for their case.

“Dahil dun sa tax evasion case na yon permanently disqualified siya from running any govt position. So yun ang pinaghahawakan natin na ground ng ating complaint ngayon,” Naguit said.

The group called on Comelec to fast-track the process and immediately release a resolution on the case.

Meanwhile, the Marcos camp opined that the said move is just one of the many attempts to oppress and ensnare the former senator by a group of people whose hearts are filled with hate.

“We respect the right of every disillusioned group to take whatever legal action they think would best see their own agenda, as we also expect them to respect our right to be heard,” said Marcos’ chief of staff and spokesperson Atty. Victor D. Rodriguez.

“Hinggil sa mga kasong isinampa at isasampa pa laban kay BBM ay naniniwala kami na lahat nang ito ay bahagi ng patuloy na pang-aapi kay presidential aspirant Bongbong Marcos ng iisang grupo ng mga taong likas na negatibo ang pananaw sa buhay, puno ng poot ang puso at ayaw na umusad ang bansa tungo sa magandang bukas,” he added.

Rodriguez reiterated that they will not be swayed by this latest development.

“Pero habang pilit na hinahadlangan ng mga grupong may mapanirang uri ng pulitika ang kandidatura ni Bongbong Marcos ay patuloy lang ang BBM-Sara Uniteam sa kanilang layunin na pagbuklurin ang bansa sa gitna ng pandemya at ibangon ang ating mga Kababayan sa ganap na kahirapan at patuloy na maghahatid ng pag-asa para sa lahat,” he said. —/mbmf (from the report of UNTV Correspondent Dante Amento)

Comelec targets to release resolution on disqualification case vs Marcos before Dec. 15

Maris Federez   •   November 26, 2021

 

MANILA, Philippines — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) announced that it has concluded the preliminary conference on a petition that called for the cancellation of the certificate of candidacy of presidential aspirant Ferdinand ‘Bongbong’ Marcos, Jr. Friday afternoon.

Comelec spokesperson Director James Jimenez said the poll body targets to release the resolution of the case before December 15.

Jimenez said the preliminary conference was conducted swiftly and each side of the petitioner and the respondent was given the opportunity to submit amendments or change their submitted argument or position.

“Ang pinaka general area na pinag-usapan ay, number one, yung statement of the issue in which both parties are given the opportunity to say ano yung formulation nung issue according to their own opinion based on their own appreciation of the case and then amendments and stipulations,” Jimenez said.

Based on the processes done on cancellation cases, the next step will be the submission of a memorandum or position of both parties in the case.

Jimenez, however, said that this will not yet happen as the poll body has to resolve two other pending issues first, such as the petition for intervention filed by the group of Atty. Howard Calleja, and the motion filed by the Marcos camp that seeks for the conduct of face-to-face oral arguments on the case.

“After the incidents are resolved then the Comelec will say how long it will give the parties to submit their respective memoranda,” Jimenez explained.

Jimenez, however, said the Second Division led by Commissioners Antonio Kho and Socorro Inting may possibly complete their resolution on the case before the release of the final list of candidates on December 15. —/mbmf (from the report of UNTV Correspondent Dante Amento)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.