Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Sec. Francisco Duque formally takes over as new Health Chief

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Tuesday, November 7th, 2017

 

MANILA, Philippines — “To improve the DOH as the number 1 agency of the Philippine bureaucracy under the Duterte administration, we need this.”

This is what returning Department of Health (DOH) Secretary, Francisco Duque, wants to achieve.

Duque vowed to properly use the P164.8-billion proposed budget of the DOH for year 2018.

The Health Secretary said his priority now is to follow the directive of President Rodrigo Duterte which is to help in the rehabilitation of the strife-torn Marawi City.

“The DOH has to do its best to help . . . rehabilitate Marawi in general and in particular the health systems of Marawi, we need to bring it back …” Duque said.

Duque is also set to visit Marawi City to check on the situation of the evacuees there.

The DOH continues to distribute medical supplies to the battle-torn area for the ongoing conduct of medical assistance, mental, psychosocial and psychological debriefing to the victims of the war.

“We have to make sure that all the health services, health programs and projects that have been planned are implemented and hopefully avoiding delays because that is what the people are really frustrated about. It’s sometimes the delays,” Duque said.

He noted that he wants to continue enforcing the health strategy of the administration of former president and now Pampanga Representative Gloria Macapagal Arroyo.

“In 2009, your DOH has actually committed to sign up with the institute for solidarity in Asia and the Development Academy of the Philippines. We were one of the early adopters of the performance governance system,” Duque said.

Meanwhile, the new Health chief  has expressed gratitude to former Health Chief Dr. Paulyn Ubial for proving support and guidance to the DOH.

Secretary Duque also assured Dr. Ubial of finishing all the programs she implemented in the Health Department.

Dr. Ubial, meanwhile, said she is open to serving the government anew if she will be given the opportunity.

‘We are not discounting that possibility because I am a CESO, a career executive service officer. I am qualified and if opportunity opens then I might consider returning to government,” Ubial said. – Aiko Miguel | UNTV News & Rescue

 

Tags: , , , ,

DOH records 44,000 dengue cases, 167 deaths this year

by Aileen Cerrudo   |   Posted on Monday, March 25th, 2019

QUEZON CITY, Philippines —The Department of Health (DOH)-Epidemiology Bureau has recorded 44,566 dengue cases from January 1 to March 9 this year, with 167 deaths.

This is almost half a percent higher compared to the 26,408 dengue cases reported during the same period last year.

The report adds, Central Visayas region has the most number of dengue cases with 4,956. The region also recorded 32 deaths which is also the highest number among the regions.

READ: Dengue cases in Zamboanga Peninsula up by 81%

Meanwhile, the National Capital Region (NCR) has 4,604 cases, followed by Calabarzon with 4,559; and Caraga with 4,350.

The health department reiterates the use of 4-S campaign to prevent dengue.—Aileen Cerrudo

4S Kontra Dengue by DOH Philippines#AntiDungue #4S #DOH

Posted by Community Newswatch PH on Tuesday, 9 January 2018

Tags: , , ,

Dengue cases hit 36,000; death toll reaches 140

by Aileen Cerrudo   |   Posted on Saturday, March 9th, 2019

Photo courtesy: pongmoji|freepik

The Department of Health (DOH) reported an increase in the number of dengue cases in the country which has reached 36,664 from January 1 to February 23, with 140 deaths.

Based on the data of DOH Epidemiology Bureau, the reported dengue cases this year is 14,703 higher compared to the 21,961 cases recorded during the same period in 2018.

Meanwhile, dengue cases in Central Visayas have increased to 4,089 cases with 29 deaths. The region recorded the highest number of cases.

The National Capital Region (NCR) has recorded 3,821 dengue cases while the Caraga region has 3,878.

Aside from dengue cases, the health department continues to record an increase in measles cases in the country as well as rabies cases.—Aileen Cerrudo

READ: Rabies vaccine in short supply—DOH

Tags: , , ,

Marawi rehabilitation to kick off before end of October

by admin   |   Posted on Thursday, October 18th, 2018

Aerial view of Marawi City via UNTV Drone

MARAWI CITY, Philippines — A year since President Rodrigo Duterte declared the liberation of Marawi City from terrorists on October 17, 2017, residents still cannot shake off the fear that a similar incident could descend upon them again.

“Yung takot di naman mawawala yun eh. Kasi ever since hindi nangyari sa amin itong ganito, tapos bigla na lang nangyari. Kaya sa puso namin may takot pa rin kami (The fear never goes away. We’ve never had any incidents until the battle broke out all of a sudden. That is why there is still fear in our hearts),” said Norfaidah Magdara, a businesswoman and resident of Marawi.

College student Salmiah Maca Agir echoed the same apprehensions.

“We feel secure na rin po pero may mga time pa rin po na natatakot ka kasi we never know po na may panahon na magkakaroon ng ganong pangyayari ulit (We feel secure in a way, but there are times that we still feel afraid because you don’t know when a similar incident will strike again),” she said.

Those who are still stuck in evacuation centers lament the long wait for the promised housing units.

“Even though sinasabi nla na liberated na nga pero yung idea na wala ka pa rin sa bahay mo wala ka pa rin sa sinasabi mong home (Even though they say we have been liberated, we still don’t have houses we can call home)” said Agir.

According to Task Force Bangon Marawi (TFBM), debris clearing operations in the most affected area will begin this month.

By the end of October they expect to finally hold the long-awaited ground breaking ceremony of the city’s rehabilitation which will be led by President Rodrigo Duterte.

“In the next few days we will see the deployment of heavy equipment, mga gamit na gagamitin sa (and materials needed for ) debris clearing in sectors 1&2,” TFBM field office manager. Asec. Felix Castro said.

Marawi City Mayor Majul Gandamra said the local government is grateful for all the assistance being given to them; however, they admit feeling frustrated by the slow progress of the rehabilitation efforts.

“Ako’y naiinip but at the same time naintindihan ko ang ating gobyerno. Ako po ay nasa gobyerno at alam ko ang proseso. Even sa local po yung pag iimplement natin ng mga projects dumadaan sa proseso (I am frustrated but at the same time I understand the government’s side. I am part of the government and I’m familiar with the process. Even in the local level, implementations of project go through a process),” he said.

At present, life in Marawi City is slowly returning to normal, particularly in Barangay Basak Malutlut where the battle began in May 2017. — Weng Fernandez

Tags: , ,