SC on Boracay Closure: No TRO

Marje Pelayo   •   April 26, 2018   •   4036

Boracay Island

 

MANILA, Philippines – The Supreme Court (SC) has chosen not to issue a temporary restraining order on the closure of Boracay Island.

Supreme Court (SC) Spokesman Atty. Theodore Te said the petition to stop the closure has nevertheless been raffled to a member of the Court.

However, Court sources said the government will be asked to comment on the petition filed by a tourist and two Boracay workers who claim that the  closure of the country’s top tourist destination constitutes a violation of their right to travel and to due process. —Roderic Mendoza | UNTV News & Rescue


Erratum:

An earlier version of this report stated that the Supreme Court has denied the petition. The article has been updated to clarify that no TRO has been released but the petition has been raffled off  nonetheless according to the Supreme Court.

TAGS   , ,

Chinese tourist dead, 27 rescued in Boracay boat mishap

Robie de Guzman   •   January 22, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – A Chinese national died while 27 others were rescued after an island-hopping boat capsized in waters off Boracay Island on Tuesday, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) said.

The PCG said its personnel from Boracay sub-station were able to rescue 25 tourist passengers as well as three crew members of the boat.

However, the rescuers failed to revive a 45-year old female tourist despite performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

Three other female passengers who needed medical assistance were brought to the nearest hospital.

“They have regained consciousness and are declared safe and in good condition,” the PCG said.

Remaining survivors are also safe and in good physical condition, the agency added.

The coast guard said motorbanca “Jocelyn 1” capsized along the waters off Barangay Balabag in Boracay after encountering strong winds that broke the boat’s outrigger on Tuesday morning.

BI nabs overstaying Indian national working as chef in Boracay

Marje Pelayo   •   September 16, 2019

​​MANILA, Philippines – The Bureau of Immigration (BI) reported the arrest on September 4 of an Indian national employed as a chef without a permit and visa in the tourist island of Boracay.

Accoridng to BI, the alien was identified as Vincent Joseph Mondal, 42, an allegedly overstaying and undocumented foreign worker.

Intelligence Division Acting Chief Fortunato Manahan Jr said Mondal was arrested while at work at Namaster Restaurant located beside the Boracay public market where he had been working as chief cook.

“He was unable to present his passport or any travel document when our agents confronted him to verify his immigration status,” Manahan said.

The BI discovered that Mondal was an illegal entrant as he entered the country through the backdoor and did not undergo inspection by immigration authorities.

​​It was also determined that Mondal had been banned from entering the country and placed on the immigration blacklist over a similar case of overstaying and failure to pay the assessed fines and penalties some time in 2013.

​​Mondal is now detained at the BI detention center while summary deportation proceedings are being undertaken.

Palace on Boracay pooping incident: follow rules or face charges

Aileen Cerrudo   •   August 15, 2019

Boracay

Malacañang on Thursday (Aug 15) reminded tourists — both locals and foreign nationals — to follow rules implemented in the Philippines.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo expressed disappointment over the incident in Boracay where a foreign tourist allowed her son to poop in the shoreline then buried the dirty diaper in the sand.

READ: Portion of Boracay island closed after pooping incident

“It’s a violation. Of course, we are not happy about that. That is not good because we are supposed to be cleaning it then some people are messing it up, right? That’s not good,” Panelo said.

He added that violators will face charges if they do not follow the rules.

“Well, there are rules and regulations in that place. So everyone is expected to—whether foreigner or Filipino tourists alike, they have to follow rules and that obviously is a violation so they would be subject to suits,” he added.

Panelo also suggested placing portable restrooms to help the tourists.—AAC

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

(+632) 8920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+632) 8396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+632) 8 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.