S. Korea probes trash shipment to PH, vows to take it back ‘as soon as possible’
by Marje Pelayo | Posted on Thursday, November 22nd, 2018
Tons of garbage from South Korea
MANILA, Philippines – The South Korean government has initiated an investigation into the shipment of over 5,000 tons of trash discovered in Misamis Oriental some two weeks ago.
In a statement posted on its website on Thursday (November 22), the South Korean Embassy in the Philippines said concerned home agencies has already launched an investigation on the Korean exporter who happened to misdeclare the contents of the shipment.
“The Ministry of Environment on November 21 initiated legal procedure to have the wastes in question in the Philippines be brought back in accordance with Article 20 of the Law on Cross-border movement and Disposal of Wastes—Prior Notice of Repatriation Order—and embarked on investigation of the violation of Article 18-2 of the said law—False Export Declaration,” the statement reads.
It added that the South Korean government vowed to “take measures to have the wastes in question be brought back to Korea as soon as possible” and promised “to prevent the recurrence of the problem” in the future. – Marje Pelayo
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo, in a statement, also called on other government agencies “to continue exercising vigilance and hinder the entry of such shipments of garbage into our territorial jurisdiction at the first instance.”
The said mixed plastic waste that was discovered in Misamis Oriental had been declared as “assorted electronic accessories”.
The Palace also acknowledged BOC’s action to export the shipment back to its port of origin. It also reiterated its “firm position of the Republic of the Philippines that it will not allow its territory to be treated as a dumping ground for trash by any foreign country or entity,” the statement reads.
by Marje Pelayo | Posted on Monday, January 14th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – The initial 51 containers of mixed waste materials were already shipped back to Pyeongtaek City in South Korea on Sunday (January 13) after it was deferred from its original schedule on January 9.
Members of the Bureau of Customs (BOC) facilitated the return of the shipments which arrived in the country in October 2018 via Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental.
According to Mindanao International Container Terminal (MICT) port collector John Simon, the containers are expected to arrive South Korea between January 19 and 20.
Meanwhile, the BOC targets to finish at the soonest possible time the return of the remaining trash shipment which were dumped at Barangay Sta. Cruz in the town of Tagoloan.
“Ibinigay na natin ang re-exportation documents. They are now obligated to send it back to South Korea,” Simon said.
“Ito ang pinakamabilis na proseso sa kasaysayan ng Pilipinas after 15 days. The last time that we talked with the Korean government, it was the 28th of December. So 15 days after, wala na. Tanggal na dito,” he further noted.
However, the Ecowaste Coaltion argued that the issue must not end with the return of the trash shipment to South Korea.
The group stressed that the investigation should push through to find out how the said garbage shipments entered the country so that authorities can eventually pin those responsible for the it.
According to Aileen Lucero, the group’s national coordinator, it is also high time to revise the law and totally ban the importation of waste materials.
“Ang isang magandang magiging epekto nyan, kung meron tayong ban ng import ng waste yung sa atin na basura yun na ang ire-recycle at sabi nga tataas ang employment,” Lucero said.
The UNTV News and Rescue team, meanwhile, sought the side of the shipment’s consignee Verde Soko.
However, the staff present on site refused to grant media interview. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Raymond Octubre)
MANILA, Philippines – The supposed shipment of mixed waste materials back to its origin in South Korea did not push through on the scheduled date Wednesday (January 9).
According to Mindanao International Container Terminal (MICT) port collector John Simon, the arrival of the cargo ship on which the garbage-filled containers will be loaded has been reset to Saturday (January 13).
Both the governments of the Philippines and South Korea shouldered the shipping expenses for the return of the waste shipment to Pyeongcheck from where it originated.
Meanwhile, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is still investigating the consignee of the shipment Verde Soko Philippines.
Simon assured that the government will do the best it can to pursue those responsible for the illegal shipment.
“Ang Bureau of Customs bilang law enforcement agency ay ipatutupad ang batas, ang batas ay bawal sa ating ang ganyang klaseng kargamento kaya tayo ay may kapangyarihan para sila at paalisin sa bayan natin.” Simon said. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Grace Casin)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.