Breaking News
  • Pimentel nominates Sotto as new Senate president
Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Roxas, Sueno to possibly face plunder and graft cases over Rosenbauer firetruck deals

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Friday, April 21st, 2017

MANILA – A lawyer for former ABAKADA partylist Congressman Jonathan Dela Cruz bared that they are preparing plunder and graft charges against officials involved in the Rosenbauer fire truck deals.

Among those who are likely to face charges are former DILG Secretaries Mar Roxas and Ismael Sueno.

“We are just gathering some more documents which I have already initiated,” Atty. Leo Romero said.

In June last year, Dela Cruz filed a petition with the supreme court to nullify two supply contracts entered by DILG and BFP with Austrian company Rosenbauer.

The contracts are worth over 3 billion pesos for 152 fire trucks.

The Aquino administration obtained a loan from the Austrian government to finance the deals.

But Dela Cruz claimed the contracts are defective since there was no bidding, and congress did not allocate funds for it.

It is also one of the reasons for the dismissal of Sueno who visited Austria in January.

This is despite the advice of DILG Legal Office not to proceed with the contract while a case is pending before the Supreme Court.

“Precisely, Secretary Sueno was unceremoniously dismissed from his position due to some anomalies which the President validated to be true,” Romero added.

Dela Cruz cited this incident in asking the high court once more to stop the implementation of the deal.

“I hope the Supreme Court will resolve the motion with immediate dispatch considering the magnitude of the issues involved,” said Romero. — Roderic Mendoza | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Solons to seek impeachment of 8 justices over Sereno ouster

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Thursday, May 17th, 2018

 

Eight Supreme Court justices in favor of Sereno’s ouster

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – Some congressmen are planning to file an impeachment complaint against eight justices who voted to oust Atty. Maria Lourdes Sereno as chief justice of the Supreme Court (SC.)

Akbayan Partylist representative Tom Villarin on Thursday, May 17, said the impeachment complaint against the eight justices will be filed before session breaks in June. Villarin is among the so-called “Magnificent 7” in the Lower House who, along with other government officials, oppose the SC ruling to remove Sereno through a quo warranto petition.

He stressed that there is no other way to remove an impeachable government official but only through an impeachment proceeding. He added that the SC’s decision was a show of “disrespect” to an independent body such as the Congress. Villarin and his colleagues will need the support of 98 congressmen to support an impeachment complaint.

The eight justices who voted in favor of the quo warranto petition filed by Solicitor General Jose Calida against Sereno were Justices Teresita Leonardo-De Castro, Samuel Martires, Noel Tijam, Andres Reyes Jr., Alexander Gesmundo, Diosdado Peralta, Lucas Bersamin and Francis Jardeleza.

Meanwhile, Ako Bicol Representative Rodel Batocade said, though he agrees with the sentiments of Villarin, he believes there is no point in questioning the High Court’s decision. He added that an impeachment complaint is now useless. He argued that what needs to be done is perhaps to look into the negligence on the part of the Judicial Bar Council (JBC) for allowing the appointment of Sereno despite her lack of important documents.

“Ano ngayon ang masasabi ng Korte Suprema doon sa JBC na nagbigay na kulang ang requirements at nangyari nagkaroon tayo ng kaguluhan ng ganito,” Batocabe said.

(What can the Supreme Court say about the JBC that provided incomplete requirements which started this mess in the first place?)

Batocabe warned that a repeated filing of impeachment complaint may weaken the credibility of the Supreme Court as an institution. – Mon Jocson / Marje Pelayo

Tags: , ,

Justice Martires submits application for Ombudsman post

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, May 16th, 2018

Supreme Court (SC) Associate Justice Samuel Martires

 

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – Supreme Court (SC) Associate Justice Samuel Martires submitted his application for the position of Ombudsman.

Martires was the first appointee of President Rodrigo Duterte in SC. He is set to retire in January next year.

Aside from Martires, other aspirants for the position include Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III, Sandiganbayan Justice Efren Dela Cruz, Davao Judge Carlos Espero II and six others.

Updated list of aspirants for the position of Ombudsman:

  1. Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III
  2. Sandiganbayan Justice Efren De La Cruz
  3. Davao Judge Carlos Espero II
  4. Atty. Edna Herrera-Batacan
  5. Atty. Rey Ifurung
  6. Atty. Rainier Madrid
  7. SC Justice Samuel Martires
  8. Atty. Rex Rico
  9. Atty Felito Ramirez
  10. Special Prosecutor Edilberto Sandoval

Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales will end her term in July this year. – UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , ,

SolGen asks SC to extend deadline of documents on war on drugs

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, May 16th, 2018

Bodies of two women believed to be victims of a drug-related killing, were found on a street in Manila.

 

PASAY CITY, Philippines – The Office of the Solicitor General (OSG) has asked the Supreme Court (SC) to extend its deadline for the submission of documents pertaining to the administration’s war on drugs.

As of this date, the OSG was able to submit a number of documents but only for several cases.

The SC directed the OSG to submit detailed reports on 3,800 cases of deaths in police operations recorded from July 1. 2016 to November 30, 2017 which are being attributed to the government’s anti-illegal drug campaign. – UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , ,