Robredo: Hindi ang Pangulo ang magdedesisyon kung qualified ako o hindi

Freema Gloria   •   February 17, 2021   •   374

“Hindi naman siya ang magdedesisyon kung qualified ako o hindi, pero iyong taumbayan iyong magdedesisyon.”

Ito ang sagot ni Vice President Leni Robredo sa panibagong pahayag ni Pangulong Rodrigo Duterte laban sa kanya na hindi siya karapat-dapat na maging pangulo ng bansa.

Ipinahayag ito ng bise presidente sa isang press conference noong Martes nang gabi matapos i-dismiss ng Korte Suprema ang electoral protest ng dating senador na si Ferdinand ‘Bongbong’ Marcos laban sa kanya.

Sinabi pa ni Robredo, nakalulungkot isipin na sa kabila ng hangarin niyang makatulong sa pamahalaan ay puro panlalait at pang-iinsulto ang kanyang inaabot mula sa pangulo.

Matatandaang binatikos ni Duterte ang naging pahayag ni Robredo tungkol sa nais ng pangulo na pagbayarin ang Estados Unidos kapalit ng pagpapatuloy ng Visiting Forces Agreement sa bansa.

“Kaya ikaw, Ma’am. I’m sorry to say you are not really qualified to run for president. You do not know your role in this government”, pahayag ni Duterte sa isinagawang public address noong Lunes ng gabi.

Sa kabila nito, tiniyak ni Robredo na hindi siya magpapaapekto sa mga patutsadang ito ng pangulo.

Ipinagtanggol naman ni Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque ang pangulo na sinabing may karapatan si Pangulong Duterte na sabihin ito dahil naranasan na niyang maging presidente ng bansa.

“Tama po yan. Yan ay desisyon ng taumbayan. Pero kabahagi po ng taumbayan ay ang presidente na siya ay boboto rin at dahil siya ay naging presidente alam niya yung mga kakayahan na kinakailangan para maging isang presidente at ang kanyang naging assessment na sumatutal, hindi po angkop na maging presidente ang ating bise presidente.”

Samantala, kinumpirma ng tagapagsalita ni dating senador Ferdinand ‘Bongbong’ Marcos na si Atty. Vic Rodriguez na tatakbo sa 2022 National Elections si Marcos

Ngunit hindi naman binanggit ni Rodriguez kung anong posisyon ito. Ang dating senador na lamang aniya ang mag-aanunsyo ng kanyang mga plano sa darating na halalan.

Duterte to listen to public’s sentiment on VFA issue

Aileen Cerrudo   •   February 26, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte is open to listening to the public about their sentiments on the issue regarding the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) with the United States (US).

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. said those who wish to voice out their opinions on whether the VFA should be abolished or not can send messages through the government hotline 8888.

Kung nais ninyong marinig ang inyong boses tungkol dito, huwag po kayong mag-atubili, kayo po ay magpadala ng e-mail o mensahe o kung anuman doon sa mga linya ng ating mga ahensiya sa gobyerno para makarating po kay Presidente (If you want your voices to be heard, do not hesitate and send an email or message through government agency hotlines for it to reach the President), he said.

Duterte, during his public address on Wednesday (February 24), said he is still undecided on what to do. He previously demanded the US to pay if it wants the VFA to continue.

Meanwhile, Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Chief of Staff Lt.Gen. Cirilito Sobejana said the military will support the decision of the President but also said the Philippines should be able to defend itself without any assistance. -AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

Duterte remains undecided on the abrogation of VFA; seeks public opinion

Marje Pelayo   •   February 25, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte, in a televised briefing Wednesday night said, he wants to hear the opinion of the Filipino people first before deciding on what to do with the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA).

“I must be frank. I do not keep secrets to the people I have approached. I have not yet decided on what to do, meaning to abrogate or renew, because I want to hear the people,” the President said.

On February 12, Duterte said the United States has to “pay” just compensation if it wants the VFA to continue.

The president drew flak over his statement, particularly from Vice President Leni Robredo and Senator Panfilo Lacson who both likened the president’s demand to “extortion”.

Signed in 1998, the VFA is an agreement between the Philippines and the United States on the conduct of military activities in the country.

The agreement is in support of the Mutual Defense Treaty, another agreement which provides both military aid to each other in case their respective capitals and territories are attacked.

Last year, the Philippines sent a formal notice to the United States signifying its intention to terminate the VFA which stemmed from the latter’s cancellation of Senator Ronald Dela Rosa’s visa on the allegations of extrajudicial killings during his term as the Chief of the Philippine National Police from 2016 to 2018.

But President Duterte suspended the termination amid the prevailing coronavirus pandemic. MNP (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

Comelec launches walkathon event to promote voter registration

Aileen Cerrudo   •   February 23, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) is set to launch an event that aims to encourage Filipinos to register in the upcoming 2022 National Elections.

The activity entitled, ‘Walkah Walkah: #MagparehistroKa Voter Education Campaign will see Comelec officials and personnel ride and walk for voter registration on February 26.

During the event, motorcycle riders will take off from Palacio del Gobernador in Intramuros, Manila and will proceed to Mindanao Avenue corner Quirino Highway in Quezon City.

From there, Comelec officials including Spokesperson James Jimenez will lead the walkathon towards Gawad Kalinga Village in Quezon City. Other participants include barangay leaders and other election stakeholders.

Participants will hand out flyers to invite the public to register and inform them about the new protocols amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.

Comelec, meanwhile, assures health and safety protocols will be implemented. There will also be COVID-19 marshalls that will monitor and ensure these protocols are followed.-AAC

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.