Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Raid of NPA safe house in Rizal nabs 8, yields high-powered firearms

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, September 26th, 2018

courtesy: 2ID Philippine Army

RIZAL, Philippines – Members of the Philippine Army’s (PA) 80th Infantry Battalion together with operatives from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) raided Coral Farm in Sitio Dalig in the municipality of Teresa on Tuesday (September 25) where authorities seized high-powered firearms.

The property, believed to be a safe house of top New People’s Army (NPA) leaders in the area, had been under military surveillance in recent months.

The NPA leaders who were said to be frequent visitors of the farm are Armando Lazarte alias Pat/Romano, the secretary of the NPA’s Sub-Regional Military Area 4A, and Tirso Alcantara alias Bart, the former commander of the NPA terrorists’ Regional Yunit Guerilla.

According to 202nd Infantry Brigade Commander BGen. Arnulfo Marcelo Burgos Jr. the success of the operation meant that the authorities thwarted another “Red October” movement that aimed at destabilizing the government by ousting President Rodrigo Duterte.

“The presence of top NPA leaders and the proximity of Teresa town to Manila are indicators that the threat of “Red October” cannot be downplayed and that the plotters are just waiting for an opportunity to execute their plans,” the General said.

Recovered from the raid were four M653 (baby Armalite) rifles; one M203 Grenade Launcher; five U.S. made 12-gauge shotguns; one caliber .45 pistol; one caliber .38 revolver; one 9mm KG3 machine pistol; six units of two-way radios; two grenades; eight cellphones; enemy documents and numerous war materiel as well as weapon system accessories.

courtesy: 2ID Philippine Army

Eight personalities were nabbed from the operation including the owner of the farm, Ki Be E alias Lily Ong.

Lt. Col. Melencio Ragudo, Commander of the 80th Infantry Battalion said two of the M653s belonged to alias Bart and the other two, including the grenades, were owned by alias Pat, citing testimony from one of the apprehended persons.

courtesy: 2ID Philippine Army

Major General Rhoderick  Parayno, Commander of the PA 2ID commended the team for the successful operations which “preempted the destabilization plot” and vowed to preserve the “Filipino people’s peaceful and democratic way of life by ensuring order across our area of responsibility.” — Marje Pelayo (with reports from Jennica Cruz)

 

Tags: , , , ,

PNP: Cebu teen slay, a crime of passion

by Robie de Guzman   |   Posted on Tuesday, March 19th, 2019

(L-R) The 17-year-old suspect in police custody and a CCTV footage of him with the victim before she was killed

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) considers the murder of 16-year old Christine Lee Silawan as case solved but not yet closed, following the arrest of one of the suspects in the brutal killing.

The main suspect was arrested by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) at his house in Barangay Maribago in Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu on Saturday (March 16), several days after Silawan’s mutilated body was found on Monday (March 11).

Based on a report of UNTV News and Rescue’s Ito ang Balita by Lea Ylagan on Tuesday, PNP Spokesperson Senior Supt. Bernard Banac said a case has already been filed against the arrested suspect, identified as the 17-year old former boyfriend of the slain Cebuana teen.

Banac added that they are not yet closing the case since they are still looking into the possibility that the male suspect received help in carrying out the crime.

“Nagkaroon na ng murder charges laban sa suspect na nahuli ng NBI at ito ay isinagawa kahapon at meron pang dalawang suspek kaya’t patuloy ang pagsuporta ng PNP. Masasabi na natin ngayon na the murder case is solved but not yet closed,” Banac said in a press briefing at Camp Crame.

Based on CCTV footage retrieved by NBI from the city’s security cameras, the suspect was seen with Silawan before she was killed on March 10.

Authorities believe the victim was killed around six or seven p.m. Her body was found early Monday morning, naked waist down and half of her face was skinned. She also suffered multiple stab wounds and her tongue, throat and upper part of the neck were removed.

The NBI said they have gotten hold of a Facebook conversation between the victim and a boy which led them to believe that it was the same person as the one they have arrested.

“Based on Facebook chats, the victim and the POI (person of interest) are there to meet. Parang may ibinigay siya na items, teddy bear at ‘tsaka cellphone. ‘Yung ka-chat niya sa Facebook. In-assume namin na siya ‘yun kaya nga we are still determining whether isa lang ba ‘yung tao na ‘yun,” NBI Central Visayas Assistant Regional Director Atty. Dominador Cimafranca said.

Police said intense jealousy may have triggered the brutal killing of the young victim.

 “Base sa pahayag ng NBI ay nagkaroon sila ng impormasyon na ito ay crime of passion dahil sa relasyon ng suspek doon sa biktima,” Banac said

“Subalit hindi naman doon titigil ang investigation team. Of course, titingnan pa rin lahat ang posibleng anggulo ng imbestigasyon,” he added.

Investigators have also concluded that Jonas Bueno has no involvement in the gruesome murder of Silawan.

Bueno was arrested in Davao City last March 15 (Friday) following suspicion on his link to the crime. He was the prime suspect in the killing of 60-year old Trinidad Batucan on January 11 in Danao City, Cebu, with the skin on her face and chest removed.

However, Bueno will remain in detention as he is facing charges for Batucan’s murder.

Meanwhile, the Silawan family hopes the real perpetrators of Christine’s killing will be brought to justice. – Robie de Guzman

Tags: , , ,

NBI launches parallel investigation on Rep. Batocabe’s murder

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, December 26th, 2018

IMAGE_UNTV_NEWS_083117_NBI

FILE PHOTO: NBI Facade

MANILA, Philippines – The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is conducting its own investigation on the murder of Ako Bicol Party list Rep. Rodel Batocabe and his police escort, SPO1 Orlando Diaz.

PNP Chief DG Oscar Albayalde confirmed the NBI’s probe coinciding with the ongoing investigation of the PNP Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG).

Albayalde assures that there will be no whitewashing on the result of the investigation. – UNTV News and Rescue

Tags: ,

Online sellers warned against ‘fake deposit slip scam’

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, December 12th, 2018

MANILA, Philippines – Discounts, price drops and the likes are a hit this season as people are busy buying gifts for their loved ones.

Consumers still prefer mall shopping to personally feel the festive mood, but online shopping is also becoming more popular because of the hassle-free, more convenient shopping experience it offers.

But authorities advise shoppers, as well as online sellers, to be vigilant when transacting business online because scammers have become ‘techy’ in executing their modus operandi.

The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) cited as an example, the ‘fake deposit slip’ scam which mostly victimizes online sellers.

Anna Magkawas has been a seller of branded celebrity bags and shoes online.

It wasn’t the first time that she had been scammed by bogus buyers who presented fake receipts and compelled her to send the items right away even before she verified the payment.

In total, she has lost P200,000 worth of luxury items to scammers.

“Reseller siya kasi so nagre-resell siya ng mga items mo. Minsan nagli-lay-away. Papartial-partial lang ang payment so hindi mo iisipin talaga na scammer. Ang fault ko lang talaga noon di ko nacheck ng mabuti kung talagang pumasok iyong amount na sinend niya kasi nga before, sa sobrang busy, hindi ko nakaugalian na magcheck lagi ng account online,” Anna said.

Just recently, Anna was almost scammed again when another bogus buyer posted an order.

“Pero iyon naman nacheck ko naman kaagad sa account ko na wala talagang pumasok. Tapos minsan naisip ko baka delay lang naman iyong online system ng bank pero iyong iba nagchecheck ako eh, iyong iba pumapasok naman so di talaga ko pumayag. Sabi ko: ‘Sis wala talagang pumasok na money,’” Anna recounted.

According to the NBI Cybercrime Division, they have recorded more than 500 cases of computer-related fraud or complaints this year.

However, the agency believes that there are still more people like Anna who fall prey to online scammers and have no courage to report to authorities.

Authorities advise online sellers not to trust online buyers easily.

‘Dapat kapag nag deposit sa iyo, you have to verify it with the bank. Huwag kang eager-beaver na maniwala at i-send kung pwede mo naman itanong sa bangko. Kapag kasi substantial iyong amount, material sa iyo, iyong amount or iyong value ng ibenebenta mo, ganoon din dapat kataas iyong level of checks na ginagawa mo,’ explained NBI Cybercrime Division Chief Victor Lorenzo.

“Isa lang ang palagi nating sinasabi diyan. When it is too good to be true, it is not true. Kapag laging may sense of urgency nagmamadali iyong nagbebenta o bibili, ayun iyong first red flag,” he advised.

Lorenzo added that fake transactions can be discerned if the person you are transacting with shows no activity on his or her social media account.

It is always best to double check on the authenticity of the social media account.

The NBI encourages the public to report any incident of online fraud so that others may be warned and legit sellers and buyers will not be affected.

‘We encourage the public to file a formal complaint with us dahil nga natututo din kami na may bagong modus operandi. Pangalawa hindi naman lahat iyan masosolve namin hindi namin mapangako na masosolve iyan. Ang masasabi lang namin, sooner or later iyan mga scammer na iyan mahuhuli at mahuhuli din iyan dahil hindi sila titigil,’ Lorenzo concluded. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Mai Bermudez)

Tags: ,