Residents want halt of BBL hearings in Zamboanga City
by admin | Posted on Monday, February 19th, 2018
A Zamboanga City resident giving her thoughts on the issue of Bangsamoro Basic Law.
MANILA, Philippines — The House of Representatives (HoR) is set to hold another hearing on March 2 in Zamboanga City in connection with the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL).
However, Zamboanga City residents believe lawmakers should no longer push through with the scheduled consultations.
Zamboanga local officials and residents have long been opposing the proposal to include their city in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region. They noted that the consultations being held by Congress can no longer change their stance.
“Narinig na natin lahat. Nandyan na yung mga senador. Nandyan na yung Congress natin. Para sa akin hindi na maghi-hearing,” said Princess Dayang, a local resident.
(We have heard everything. The senators and congressmen were there. For me, there is no need for a hearing.)
Many of them also believe the consultations are politically-motivated.
“Nasa pag-uusap naman yan. Kung kailangan bakit hindi, pero usually kasi pagka ganyan political talaga yan,” said Maria Cristina Gil, a resident.
(It depends on the discussions. If it’s really needed, why not. But usually, these kinds of consultations are politically-motivated. )
The local government has already expressed disinterest to be part of the proposed Bangsamoro Region.
“In my talk with him [President Duterte] very, very briefly he told me that we are not included in Bisaya, and I think it pertains to the BBL,” said Zamboanga Mayor Beng Climaco.
“The LGU has not requested that the hearing will be conducted in Zamboanga City,” said Jawo Jimenez, secretary of the mayor.
They argue that the lawmakers and senators should just focus instead on the provinces and cities that expressed willingness to be part of the Bangsamoro Region. — Rey Pelayo | UNTV News & Rescue
by Aileen Cerrudo | Posted on Monday, March 18th, 2019
Dengue cases in Zamboanga Peninsula rose to 81 percent, according to the Department of Health (DOH) 9. Cases had reached 1,743 from January 1 to March 7, 2019.
Based on the report of the DOH 9, Zamboanga City reported 719 dengue cases, a 213% increase compared to the same period last year which recorded 230 cases. Zamboanga del Norte, on the other hand, recorded 499 cases which is a 222 percent increase from last year’s 155 cases.
Meanwhile, Zamboanga Sibugay recorded 175 dengue cases; Isabela City , Basilan, 99 cases; and Zamboanga Del Sur with 251.
The DOH reminds residents to implement the 4-S campaign against dengue and work on controlling the mosquito population.
Health Secretary Francisco Duque III previously said, “The first step to prevent dengue is within our homes. It is important to remove any space or container that can hold unnecessary stagnant water which may become breeding sites for mosquitoes.”—Aileen Cerrudo
by Marje Pelayo | Posted on Thursday, January 31st, 2019
ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines – Authorities believe that the grenade attack on a mosque in the city, which killed two people and injured four others, is an isolated case.
Authorities suspect that it stemmed from a personal grudge because the victims were not residents of the place and perhaps the suspects as well.
It could also be politics, the police said, since one of the victims was a barangay councilman in the town of Basilan.
“I-che-check po natin. May kaalitan ba sila doon? Politically inclined ba ang mga persons (involved)? Makikipag-coordinate po tayo,” assured ZCPO Spokesperson PCInsp. Shellamie Chang. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Dante Amento)
by Marje Pelayo | Posted on Monday, January 14th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana confirmed on Monday (January 14) that President Rodrigo Duterte plans to fly to Cotabato City to join a massive rally on January 18 in support of the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL).
The mass action will be held two days before the scheduled plebiscite for the BBL in areas of Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM); Isabela City-Basilan and in Cotabato City.
Lorenzana assured that President Duterte and the rest of his Cabinet as well as the Congress support the BBL.
“All out si Presidente. Sa January 18 pupunta (siya) sa Cotabato para sa big BOL rally. The day before dapat pupunta din siya sa Jolo pero dahil may importante siyang gagawin dito, hindi makapunta,” Lorenzana said during a meeting with leaders of the Bangsamoro communities outside the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region (BAR) on Sunday (January 13)
“Pero pupunta kami. Ako, si Sec. Ano, si Sec. Galvez, para kumbinsihin na namin si Sakur. Matigas ang ulo ni Sakur, pero we can convince him maybe para lumambot ang puso niya at tanggapin ang BOL,” the Defense Secretary said referring to Governor Abdusakur Tan II of Sulu who opposes the BOL.
Malacañang expressed confidence that with the presence of President Duterte himself, the public will be more convinced of supporting the passage of the BBL.
“The voice of the president is always a powerful influence on whatever matter he gives his voice into,” confirmed Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo.
Lorenzana, meanwhile, assured the public that the government is working very hard to ensure an honest, clean and peaceful elections in May.
Lorenaza and Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) vice chair and head of the Bangsamoro Transition Commission Ghadzali Jaafar called on all parties involved in the BOL especially the leaders of Muslim groups to be calm and pay respect to whatever the decision of the public will be regarding BBL.
“Hindi na pwede ang takutan dito. Tapos na ang pagiging rebolusyonaryo natin. Tapos na. Bibigyan na nga tayo ng chance to lead. Now it’s time to, itapon na natin ang uniporme natin. Magsuot na tayo ng barong o di kaya ng coat, and then start being a diplomat. Start being a statesman. Start thinking of how to improve our area,” Lorenzana said.
“Please do not do anything that will divide their favor because one of the major responsibilities of a leader, whether you’re like a revolutionary leader like me or political leader, your responsibility is,at all times, to unite your constituent and to unite your people,” appealed Jaafar.
“Leaders like us must never become agents of disunity of our people,” he emphasized further.
The plebiscite will be held on February 6 in Lanao del Norte and North Cotabato. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.