Residents evacuate after firefight with ISIS militants in Marawi city

UNTV News   •   May 25, 2017   •   3561

IMAGE_UNTV_NEWS_052417_EVACUEE

MANILA — Residents fled their homes in Marawi City on Wednesday following intense fighting between government troops and Islamic militants who took over large parts of the city.

“We want to hide because there are a lot of ISIS militants there,” said evacuee Ali Najer.

An elderly evacuee Hajja Mariam said, “We came from Marawi City and we left because of the chaos. We’ll stay in Iligan City for now.”

The exodus of residents followed a failed raid by soldiers on Tuesday on a hideout of the Maute militant group which triggered clashes and chaos across the largely Muslim city of Marawi.

 

Soldiers and police had set up various checkpoints in the region and inspected the fleeing residents who sought shelter in neighboring towns.

Police and soldiers are closely monitoring all entry and exit points in Iligan City to prevent the terror group from penetrating the city.

Meanwhile, the Department of Social Welfare and Development has activated its Disaster Response and Management Bureau Operations Center in Iligan City.

According to DSWD Sec. Judy Taguiwalo, they have on standby food packs and non-food items for residents affected by the clash.

DSWD assures to keep the safety of the residents in the area especially the women, children and the elderly. – Marje Pelayo | UNTV News and Rescue

Sta. Ana, Cagayan evacuees return home as flood subsides

Maris Federez   •   November 21, 2019

CAGAYAN, Philippines – As the rain quiets down in Sta. Ana, Cagayan, the evacuees who have occupied the town’s multipurpose hall queued to return to their respective houses.

Sixteen barangays in Sta Ana were submerged in water, affecting 377 families or 1,514 individuals, according to the Municipal Social Welfare and Development Office.

The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) and the local government distributed relief supplies to the affected families before they set out to return to their homes.

“So far, ngayon Ma’am, nag-subside na po iyong tubig so safe na po silang pabalik sa kanilang bahay,” said social welfare assistant Hilda Bañezta.

Officials expect that the power supply will be restored by Thursday or Friday (November 22).

Meanwhile, the local government announced that classes in the whole province of Cagayan have resumed on Thursday except those in preschool and kindergarten.

Further suspension of classes at any level will be at the discretion of the local executives in the 20 municipal mayors in the province. (from the report of Aiko Miguel) /mbmf

DSWD appeals to public not to give alms to street children, beggars

Aileen Cerrudo   •   November 7, 2019

The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has urged the public not to give alms to street beggars including street children, homeless people, and members of Indigenous Peoples (IP) groups.

The DSWD said this is in pursuant to Presidential Decree (PD) No. 1563 or the Anti-Mendicancy Law which prohibits begging or soliciting of charitable donations by the poor and other religious organizations on the streets.

The department advises the public to think of other means to help in order to keep street dwellers and IP groups away from mendicant activities that may endanger their lives.

“DSWD advises the public to provide responsible types of assistance such as conducting organized gift-giving and caroling activities, feeding sessions, story-telling, and medical missions at the activity centers in the local government units (LGUs),” the DSWD said in a statement.—AAC

Continuing the legacy: 3 widows of Marawi heroes join the military

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 25, 2019

Three widows of Marawi heroes are now ready to continue the legacy of their husbands who sacrificed their lives for the liberation of Marawi in 2017.

Private Grace P. Allaga, wife of late Corporal Ardnie R. Allaga, Private Merzie G. Rogador, wife of late Private First Class Eldon C. Rogador, and Private Christine Mary E. Montero, wife of late Corporal Marjone G. Montero are now considered enlisted military personnel after finishing the candidate soldier course.

They are among the 749 new soldiers who underwent and finished the four-month candidate soldier course conducted by the 1st Infantry (Tabak) Division under the Philippine Army.—AAC

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

(+632) 8920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+632) 8396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+632) 8 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.