Remains of Pinay killed in France returns home

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 7, 2019   •   1026

The remains of Janice Cabardo Badr had returned home.

Janice’s remains arrived on Sunday afternoon (October 6) in Panabo City, Davao, a few weeks after she was killed by her husband, Christophe Badr in Maisons-Lafitte in France on September 20.

READ: Kin of Pinay killed in France calls for justice

A funeral service is being held for her at Sta. Teresita Funeral Homes in Panobo City.

According to Janice’s father, Losito Cabardo, the hearing for the custody of their 18-month-old granddaughter who is still in France is scheduled on Monday (October 7).

He is also asking for assistance so they can take their granddaughter home.

Baka patayin na naman niya ang anak niya pagkatapos ng ginawa niya sa asawa niya kaya ang gusto namin mangyari dito ang apo ko sa amin (He [Badr] might kill his daughter too like what he did to his wife. We want our granddaughter to come home with us),” he said.—AAC (with reports from Janice Ingente)

France becomes 4th country to report 3,000 virus deaths

UNTV News   •   March 31, 2020

French health authorities reported 418 new deaths from coronavirus on Monday (March 30), taking the total to 3,024 or an increase of 16%, France becoming the fourth country to cross the 3,000 fatalities threshold after China, Italy, and Spain.

The daily government tally only accounts for those dying in hospital but authorities say they will very soon be able to compile data on deaths in retirement homes, which is likely to result in a big increase in registered fatalities.

Health agency director Jerome Salomon told a news conference that the number of cases had risen to 44,550, a rise of 11% in 24 hours.

Salomon said 5,107 people were in a serious condition needing life support, up 10% compared to Monday, an increase speeding up again after slowing for two days.

(Production: Michaela Cabrera)

France imposes restrictions on movement to contain coronavirus

UNTV News   •   March 17, 2020

French President Emmanuel Macron on Monday (March 16) ordered stringent restrictions on people’s movement that would last at least two weeks to slow the spread of the coronavirus and said the army would be drafted in to help move the sick to hospitals.

France had already shut down restaurants and bars, closed schools and put ski resorts off limits, but Macron said measures unprecedented in peacetime were needed as the number of infected people doubled every three days and deaths spiralled higher.

In a sombre address to the nation, the president said that from Tuesday midday people should stay at home and only go out for essential activities. Anyone flouting the restrictions would be punished.

“I know what I am asking of you is unprecedented but circumstances demand it. We are at war,” Macron said.

Macron said he was postponing the second round of local elections on Sunday and was suspending the government’s reform agenda, starting with his overhaul of the pension system.

Coronavirus infections and fatalities in France and Spain have been surging at a pace just days behind that of Italy, the epicentre of the outbreak in Europe where hospitals in the worst-hit northern regions are stretched to breaking point. (Reuters)

(Production: Ardee Napolitano)

France to close schools to curb coronavirus spread

UNTV News   •   March 13, 2020

Starting next week, France will close all creches, schools and universities to try to curb the spread of the coronavirus, President Emmanuel Macron said in a televised address on Thursday (March 12).

Describing the outbreak as France’s biggest public health crisis in a century, Macron also urged employers to let staff work from home, and said that the elderly and people with health conditions should stay indoors.

He said, however, that municipal elections scheduled for this weekend should go ahead.

He said that to ease the economic impact, the state would take over paying salaries of people forced to stop work, and that businesses would not have to pay taxes that fall due in March.

On the European level, he said the latest measures to support the economy unveiled by the European Central Bank were not sufficient, and that he would work with European partners on a major package to relaunch the economy “whatever it costs.”

In a veiled reference to U.S. President Donald Trump’s decision to suspend some travel to the United States, Macron said nationalism was not the answer to the virus.

He said the disease has no nationality, and that if national frontiers had to be closed, it would only be when it was essential, and in coordination with the rest of Europe. (Reuters)

(Production: Ardee Napolitano)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.