Rehab works on Estrella-Pantaleon Bridge to commence Jan. 19
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Friday, 11 January 2019 04:30 PM
MANILA, Philippines — It’s all systems go for the rehabilitation of the Estrella-Pantaleon Bridge on January 19 after being put on hold for several times.
The structure connects Estrella in Makati and Barangka Drive in Mandaluyong City.
The plan to rehabilitate the bridge has been deferred three times already.
According to the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), the structure is just seven years old and based on its original design, it only has a 25,000 carrying capacity.
However, there are at least 35,000 vehicles plying the bridge every single day which have caused its pavement to weaken and be at risk of collapse.
“Bukod sa paluluwangin, tinitignan din namin yung preparedness nito sa the ‘big one’ na sinasabi ng Philvocs na diyan sa Mandaluyong area eh pine-predict ang intensity,” said DPWH project manager Toyet Castillo.
The DPWH plans to add two more lanes to the bridge’s existing two so that more vehicles will be able to ply on the bridge.
There will also be expansion of the sidewalks and strengthening of its foundation.
The project costs P1.47 billion but the government will not shoulder any amount since the overall fund is a grant from China.
The bridge will be temporarily closed to motorists for a period of three years.
For this reason, motorists are advised to take an alternative route.
Meanwhile, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) sees heavy traffic situation especially in Makati because of the bridge’s closure.
“Dati ang average niyan para makatawid ka sa bridge mga 10 minutes lang nandoon ka na sa kabila. Kapag nagsara iyan, mga 30 minutes, kasi iikot ka pa. Pero I doubt it, baka 1 hour,” explained MMDA general manager, Jose Arturo Garcia.
The MMDA is now coordinating with the traffic bureaus from Makati and Mandaluyong to help clear the roads that will serve as alternative routes for motorists.
Aside from the Estrella-Pantaleon bridge, the MMDA also plans to begin the rehabilitation of Guadalupe Bridge in Makati and Lambingan Bridge in Manila. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Joan Nano)
by UNTV News | Posted on Friday, 8 March 2019 02:28 PM
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine capital of Manila has been tagged as the world’s fastest growing luxury home market for 2018, based on a study published by Knight Frank Prime International Index.h
The latest report of property consultancy agency Knight Frank showed that Manila beat obvious candidates such as Berlin in Germany, Tokyo in Japan, Paris in France and Singapore in the ranking of top cities on how much prices for luxury homes have increased in the past year.
The report said the City of Manila experienced an increase in the prices of luxury homes by 11 percent in 2018, buoyed by the Philippines’ strengthening economy and an apparent shortage of luxury homes. Also contributing to the increase in prices are the low supply and the increased demand from wealthy foreigners living in Manila.
Knight Frank also reported that the country’s economy grew by six percent in 2018, which attracted more Filipino expatriates to invest in properties back home.
But despite its top ranking, the report said the overall growth in luxury home prices is dwindling, and Manila’s price growth is still far from last year’s top performers, which saw a 21 percent overall growth. The deceleration was attributed to the end of real estate low interest rates, which boomed in 2008.
The study also cited the significant slowing down of luxury home growth in the Philippines after the developers’ renewed their focus on more affordable housing amid predictions that there is more demand in the low to medium-end markets.
Apart from Manila, the only other Southeast Asian city that made it to the top ten of list of 100 cities was Singapore, which ranked 7th overall after registering a 9.1 percent increase in luxury home prices.
In the West, Edinburgh ranked second with 10.6 percent growth followed by Berlin, Germany with 10.5 percent, Munich and Buenos Aires both with 10 percent; Mexico city ranked sixth with 9.5 percent while Madrid landed at 9th pace after registering an increase of 8.1 percent in luxury home prices.
Boston, Massachusetts in the United States ranked 8th after gaining 8.6 percent increase while San Francisco placed at 10th.
Beijing, China ranked 25th with only four percent increase while Hong Kong ranked 47th overall with 1.8 percent increase in luxury home prices. – Robie de Guzman
by admin | Posted on Tuesday, 2 January 2018 02:35 PM
MANILA, Philippines — Charges have been filed by the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) against 10 cops and three barangay tanods (village watchmen) of Addition Hills Village following the case of a mistaken identity in Mandaluyong City which killed two persons and wounded two others.
According to NCRPO chief Oscar Albayalde, the cops were placed under restrictive custody at the NCRPO Headquarters after the incident.
“We have filed the cases of homicide against the 10 policemen at sa tatlong barangay tanods (and three village watchmen),” he said.
Albayalde also confirmed that Jonalyn Ambaan, Mhury Jamon, two men from the group they had an altercation with and two barangay tanods, tested positive for gunpowder burns.
This is why one of the angles being looked into is the possible rift between the two groups which led to the shooting of Jonalyn.
“Kasi may nakuha ding slug doon yung ating SOCO (Scene of the Crime Operatives) noong ipina SOCO natin ang lugar. Pero undetermined caliber pa rin as of this time. So lumalabas na mukhang nagbarilan sila doon sa lugar. Ngunit wala tayong narecover na baril,” Albayalde said.
(The Scene of the Crime Operatives (SOCO) recovered a slug from the scene. The caliber is undetermined as of this time. It shows that the two groups possibly had an exchange of fire. But we have not recovered any firearm.)
It is also likely that the village watchmen sided with the group of Abdurakman Alfin whom Jonalyn’s companions had a confrontation with.
“Unang-una yung grupo nina Abdurakman Alfin taga doon at itong mga construction workers ay hindi residente doon (firstly, Abdurakman Alfin’s group are from the area while the construction worker s are not residents),” said the NCRPO chief.
Last week, 36 bullets were found in a white Mitsubishi Adventure along the stretch Of Shaw Boulevard corner Old Wack-Wack, Mandaluyong City after watchmen and policemen riddled it with bullets, when they mistook it for the getaway vehicle of a suspect they were pursuing. — UNTV News & Rescue
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.