Reclamation activities ng China sa Mischief Reef, may seryosong implikasyon sa national at global security ayon sa ilang senador

admin   •   April 21, 2015   •   2496

Satellite Image: China reclamation activity (REUTERS)

MANILA, Philippines — Nababahala ang ilang senador sa ginagawang reclamation activities ng China sa Mischief Reef na sinasabing sakop ng Pilipinas.

Ayon kay Senador Antonio Trillanes IV, chairman ng Committee on National Defense and Security, may seryosong implikasyon ito sa national at global security.

Sinabi ni Trillanes na dapat i-asses ang foreign policy position ng bansa at national defense plans upang matiyak na handa tayo sa anumang gagawing hakbang.

Una ng naghain ng resolusyon si Trillanes sa Senado ukol dito.

Hinikayat naman ni Senador Chiz Escudero ang pamahalaan na i-convene ang National Security Council (NSC) ukol sa ginagawang ito ng China sa West Philippine Sea.

Ayon kay Escudero sa ilalim ng Executive Order no. 115, ang NSC ay principal advisory body ng presidente at dapat na magpatawag ng security cluster meeting ukol dito.

Ngunit sagot ng Malakanyang sa pamamagitan ni USec. Abigail Valte, “Other security officials, the relevant, whoever is necessary in the discussion of the disputes in the West Philippine Sea, are always called to the security cluster meetings. In fact, they should all be there, because it’s the security cluster. But at this time, the president does not see any need really to convene the NSC.”

Pabor naman si Senador Loren Legarda, chaiperson ng Committee on Climate Change, na makipag-ugnayan sa international community upang protektahan ang coral reefs ng bansa.

Kahit ang Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) ay nababahala na rin sa ginagawang reclamation ng China sa West Philippine Sea.

Pahayag ni DENR Sec. Ramon Paje, “Kapag ang pinag-uusapan ho ay impact sa ecology — napakalaki dahil sa ang sinisira mo dyan (ay) coral reef. And it will take you thousands and millions of years to restore coral reef. Iyan ang impact niyan, ecologically.”

Ayon naman sa DFA, patuloy na lulutasin ang isyu sa mapayapang paraan at ayon sa rule of law.

“Well, tayo noh, we continue to pursue. Ang initiatives natin ay yung legal track and diplomatic track. We continue to push for peaceful settlements of disputes. And for the rule of law to prevail so we create the norms dito sa region,” pahayag ni DFA Spokesperson Assistant Secretary Charles Jose. (BRYAN DE PAZ / UNTV News)

Duterte appoints Antonio Parlade to Nat’l Security Council

Robie de Guzman   •   September 9, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has appointed retired military general Antonio Parlade as deputy director general of the National Security Council (NSC), Malacañang said Thursday.

In a statement, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque confirmed that the president signed Parlade’s appointment on Sept. 8.

Parlade retired as head of the military’s Southern Luzon Command in July.

“Deputy Director-General Parlade faithfully served the Armed Forces of the Philippines for many years until his retirement from the service,” Roque said.

“We are therefore confident that his length of fruitful service in the military would immensely contribute in the crafting of plans and policies affecting national security,” he added.

Parlade previously served as spokesperson for the government’s Task Force in Ending Local Communist Armed Conflict.

He became controversial for his remarks linking some organizers of community pantries to the communist group. Some senators even called for his resignation and proposed defunding the task force over the issue.

In a separate statement, Parlade thanked Duterte for the “renewed trust and confidence.”

“Another opportunity to continue serving our people in a different capacity. Time to take care of unfinished business,” he said.

Valte explains ‘overpriced’ PPE procured by Aquino admin

Aileen Cerrudo   •   September 3, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Former deputy spokesperson of the Aquino administration, Abigail Valte, on Friday (September 3) explained the previous administration’s acquisition of personal protective equipment (PPE) in 2016.

This is amid Presidential Harry Roque Jr.’s statement that the PPE sets procured during the Aquino administration were more expensive despite not having any pandemic and did not go under proper bidding.

In a Facebook post, Valte said that the procurement dated June 23, 2016, underwent proper bidding and the PPE sets are not a regular kind as they also include hazmat suits. The purchase order also included specifications and warranties.

The 3,750 PPE sets that cost P3,864 each included goggles, gloves, plastic shoe covers, coveralls, surgical gloves, N95 face masks, surgical masks, and head caps.

“I heard people are looking for the specs of the PPE sets procured via PO dated June 23, 2016, so here you go. Note that I intentionally cropped the signatories out of Page 3 to avoid exposing their signatures to fraudsters,” she said.

A Senate investigation is currently ongoing for the Duterte administration’s procurement of allegedly overpriced PPE sets. -AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)

OCD to hold first int’l disaster resilience forum

Maris Federez   •   July 23, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Office of Civil Defense (OCD) is set to hold its first International Disaster Resilience Forum (IDRF) on July 29 to 30, 2021 as part of the observance of the National Disaster Resilience Month (NDRM).

In an advisory, the OCD said the forum is seen to serve as a venue for sharing best practices in the strengthening of disaster resilience; understanding the importance of governance, citizen-participation, and global partnerships towards disaster resilience; and reinforcing cooperation between stakeholders.

“The IDRF will tackle integrated and interconnected solutions through information sharing and discussions on Disaster Risk Reduction, Climate Change Adaptation, and Disaster Resilience from experts and practitioners around the world,” it added.

Participants in the forum’s various sessions will learn the trends and best practices in disaster response.

Strengthening disaster resilience and sustainable development in the New Normal will also be discussed in one of the sessions.

The OCD extends its invitation to leaders, policymakers, executives, experts, and civil society groups to participate in the forum that will have a live broadcast through Civil Defense PH Facebook page and Youtube.

Registration is available through the following links:

  • Plenaries, Open/Closing Ceremonies – tinyurl.com/IDRF-POC
  • Session 1 – tinyurl.com/IDRF-DRR2021
  • Session 2 – tinyurl.com/IDRF-PR
  • Session 3 – tinyurl.com/IDRF-BBB

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.